1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where Are The Trap Clubs?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hmb, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No, it is not obscure. But some trapshooters have very small brains, and are easily confused. HMB

2. 391 Dude

391 Dude TS Member

Its hard enough to find the clubs, its even harder in this computer age to find when the shoots are. You would think in this day and age it would be alot easier. There needs to be a site that lists better info than the ATA site. It takes forever to go through that site.........just a thought!!! steve.... Anyone have any ideas?

3. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Having a small brain and being easily confused helps me to concentrate on that flying disk while ignoring everything else.

4. 391 Dude

391 Dude TS Member

Finprof.... that is heavy man!!..............

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

No problem....they're all listed, state by state, in the latest issue of Black's Wing and Clay ,Shotgunners Handbook.

6. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Depends on where you live. Some areas have more shoots than you can attend. Some areas where I live only have one club that can qualify to have our zone shoot or state shoot. We have to drive 80+ miles to practice.
    If you have clubs near support them.
    I would think that ATA might put out a book that would list clubs in each state with phone # like say Laquita motels have that we could cary.
    Allen

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Black's misses some clubs in their listings. Also there are a number of clubs not throwing registered targets, and not listed in ATA data.

Best is to check with sports shops in the area. I mean real ones that sell more than running shoes and exercise gear.

HM

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have to travel approx. 50 miles to the nearest place to shoot, as most of the clubs in my area have closed. There are listings on the internet and they are not up to date or complete. I have shot at several that are not listed, or don't give maps etc. I hear about clubs and have been told that some of them are private but found out by visiting that I could shoot there. It would be helpful when shoots are listed on here if they would give the actual location. It's kind of funny now but several months ago several references were made to a Montgomery shoot and I wrongfully assumed that it was refering to Montgomery Al. I wanted to meet some of the folks from TS.com and found out that it was not in Alabama(270 mile trip), although I did meet some nice folks though. Being from a small town or a lack of close clubs makes it harder to keep up with shoots in your area. I do get some flyers that help. Jackie B.

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

otnot, shooting is an obscure sport. Regardless of the discipline (rifle, pistol, shotgun and all the subs underneath the main categories), you never hear about them in the TV news or newpaper. Before registering targets and getting involved in trap, I never heard of wing and clay. So that pub is not going to help people who would like to try the game. Need local advertising, need active (or at least vocal) local support.

10. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Any time I travel, I always carry a current copy of Black's Wing and Clay, the Shotgunners Handbook just in case I need it.

In addition to carrying a copy of Black's Wing and Clay, prior to planning a departure I always visit the URL above to visually find a club, it seems much easer to look at a digital map and identify a thumb tack in that part of the state that I am about to visit and each range has a detailed map of it's location. If you are into Skeet Shooting, Sporting Clays, Trap Shooting, or virtually any other shooting sport including FITASC, Five Stand, Wobble Trap or ZZ Bird, then ClayTargetsOnline should provide you a one-stop reference for every clay target club in the US.

You may want to bookmark this URL for future reference to find a gun club in the area you are about to visit.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Come to Southern Illinois. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a trap club.

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I still discover clubs that I never heard of and that's within 200 miles of my home.

The locals are aware, but no one else. Usually such clubs have limited or odd hours of operation. Lack of volunteers... One or two guys running the clay target operation.

They don't show up on a goggle search and not found in any publications. Not NRA clubs, nor do they throw registered targets. No thought of posting a web site.

Mostly one and two field clubs.

You have to interrogate visiting shooters to see what clubs are located in the region they shoot in. Sometimes even they are not aware.

Presently, I'm trying to pin down information on one such a club. Rumor has it they have trap and skeet. Trouble getting a point of contact to confirm but I think I finally have a number I can call.

I can always find the local golf course in any part of the country...

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

In my part of Ohio there are probably 10 clubs to shoot at within 1 hr or less. The ones of any size, 2 traps or more, shoot registered. NONE in this area have shut down, in fact a couple of those clubs have expanded with more traps, have kept the cost as low as possible and are BUSY!

A little common sense, like stopping at a couple gunshops or sporting good stores where they sell guns, should have people working there that can answer any question you have about clubs, or who to call.

14. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

In the San Diego area, it IS as easy as opening the Yellow Pages. Go figure.

Any gun shop worth its FFL will be able to point you towards at least one or two shooting venues. From there, you'll be able to ask the regulars where ALL the trap fields withing 200 miles are located.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The real issue is that like many things, there is not one universal directory for shooting ranges of any type. One has to be resourceful.

In addition to Black's Wing & Clay, ATA and some of the other resources, there is the NSSF.org website search engine - places to shoot. Sharpen your pencil, you've got some work to do.

Jay Spitz

16. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Is this not the same forum where everyone jumped on a kid that was selling some items and asked people to refer to another site for the descriptions/pictures? Hello? You have to be smoking dope if you think shooting clubs are easy to find or "people just have to do the leg work" is a good idea. If you want to preserve this sport, it has to be promoted more openly. The existing club directories are great resources, but good luck finding all the clubs that list a P.O. Box as their address or list a phone number that will only be answered when the club is open and people are there (when are they open again?).

I worked hard to find clubs when I started shooting, and spent a lot of time driving around areas where people told me there was a club, looking for some sort of hint for which unmarked dirt/gravel road I had to turn onto to get there. I think people who work for/own gun shops make their living selling guns because they SUCK at giving directions. I spent hours on terraserver looking at satellite maps scanning for trap fields... I was determined. But what about the folks that have a fleeting "you know, I always wanted to learn how to shoot" impulse? You know, that thing that makes you buy things at the store that you never even thought about needing before you walked by that cool display? What about drawing some of those folks to the club for a round or two to get them hooked?

Read the SCTP profiles that are published in Trap & Field... A good portion of the kids say they signed up for SCTP because they "heard an announcement at school about the program and though it would be cool". Advertising pays off.

Don't get me wrong, I really love that "society unto itself" feeling that is so common in the shooting sports. That draws me to the club even when I'm not shooting well. I just don't think that it needs to be a secret society -- let's find the highest mountain and proclaim it to the world.

--Dan

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Dan:

Easier said than done. Most ranges are domains of private not-for-profit clubs, who don't offer public access and have the OOSOOM mentality that if they can't find us we're not a target.

The ranges that offer public access/programming and have good visibility are seen as part of their communities. The private clubs/ranges who limit access are viewed as "outsiders" to their communities.

Black's, NSSF and all the other websites charge NOTHING for a simple club listing, but a few of the active clubs in Metro Chicago have recently deleted their listings - makes no sense to me...

Even a private club should advertise for future membership.

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.