1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where Are The Real Men Today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by puablo, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Was just looking at some old movies, in particular, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance...with some of the main actors being John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lee Marvin.
    We need men around today like John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart. Where the heck have all the good men gone?...just look at what's leading the pack today, and you gotta wonder. What garbage we got going on now. What happened to the days when a
    man's word was his bond? When you said what you meant and meant what you said?
    Maybe we can get back there again one day.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What happened? Men became metrosexuals, women were empowered with attorneys, and criminals became even bolder since they weren't being gunned down in the street or hung by the neck until dead in public.

3. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

You're right Paul!

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

That darn GI Joe is the cause of the downfall of all the "real men".

Instead of calling it a doll, it was called an "action figure" and all our boys started playing with a plastic doll AKA "action figure".

Ed Ward

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

and they aren't "allowed" to be boys,,,,no aggressiveness,,,,what the hell are we going to do for soldiers in the future????

6. Brian in Oregon

Soldiers in the future? Angry lesbians with PMS.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We lost our country, rural heritage. No one does anthing with their hands anymore....young men don't get "dirty". Our work ethic sucks too. It's not cool to be a "motorhead", run heavy equipment, handle livestock, or any down to earth stuff.

Unless a kid lives on a farm or has exposure to a construction somehow, how would he or she ever have a chance to run a piece of equipment, drive a truck with a clutch, or fix any equipment.

We're not hands on anymore.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Ah yes, the "Thrilling Days of Yesteryear: When men were men... and sheep were nervous." LOL.

I, for one, think it's very cool to be a motorhead. I also work with my hands regularly doing woodwork and occasional metalwork. There's no reason at all that this stuff has to die.

-Gary

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

And the little league series for the summer where no one wins or loses and all get "participation" trophies. Just like our summer league seems to be going.....at the meeting to organize they said they weren't going to post who we'd be shooting against. "WTF". I asked if we'd all get participation trophies. Some said, "we don't care, its just for fun"....

We compete to compete. We get fired up when we shoot against the "top guns" and try to win....

Is this what the USA is coming to? Aren't we always trying to be the "winners".....

Of course, I'll get pilloried by the liberals and the sissies who think that acquiesence is the rule of the day....go for it.

10. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

You're kidding right? John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lee Marvin were all actors...

Looking for 'real men' - look at your local firemen, police, or the brave souls serving overseas in the military. Oh yea, don't forget the modern women, many of who are more 'men' than a bunch whining overweight 'puffs' who have to have a golf cart to ride a hundred yards...

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Audie Murphy was a real war hero in addition to a movie star.

Steve McQueen was a hell of a desert racer, did his own riding in "The Great Escape"

Some of them were real men in addition to being actors.

HM

12. Brian in Oregon

Here are some actors who served in WWII.

I've narrowed the list to those who left an acting career to serve, and were known to be in combat, not those who served and later became actors, nor those actors who served but were not in combat. This list is no doubt incomplete.

Jimmy Stewart was an actor, yet he not only was a Colonel in the USAAF during WWII and flew combat missions, he continued to fly missions during the Cold War as a Brigadier General in the USAF Reserves. He could have been safely making movies. He put his money where his mouth was.

Clark Gable (after first resisting the idea) flew five combat missions over Europe, and was narrowly missed by flak (his boot was hit). MGM made a big fuss over the USAAF risking "their property" and sought to have him removed from combat missions.

Robert Montgomery drove an ambulance for the British and was evacuated at Dunkirk. He later joined the USN and became a PT boat commander. He served on a destroyer on D Day, and was awarded the bronze Star.

Gene Autry flew C47s over "The Hump".

Henry Fonda joined the USN in 1943 and served aboard a destroyer.

Lee Powell (the first Lone Ranger) left Hollywood to join the Marines. He was in combat at Tarawa and Saipan, and was KIA at Tinian.

Douglas Fairbanks Sr. commanded British vessels during commando raids, and was the first American to do so in the Royal Navy.<br>
    (Typo: It was Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., not Sr. Thanks to Bob Lawless for the correction.)

Now some exceptions to my list...

While not an actor, Glenn Miller was a musician who gave all in WWII. While he was not in combat, he and his band were in areas being shelled. Also, he was too old to be drafted, and could have legitimately avoided military service. Unlike the movie, he was not drafted, and he actively sought to join and create a military band. The navy turned him down. The Army accepted him on that basis.

And then there are civilians who supported the troops.

Bob Hope, of course, is the actor most people think of. He's supported the troops in a known 199 USO shows in 60 tours in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the Persian Gulf. In 1997 Congress made him an "Honorary Veteran". I doubt there are any vets who would disagree with that award. Bob Hope is quoted as saying, "I've been given many awards in my lifetime — but to be numbered among the men and women I admire most — is the greatest honor I have ever received."

Al Jolson entertained troops in WWII and Korea. What isn't generally known is that he paid his own way to Korea to do this. He gave 42 shows in 16 days, a heavy schedule, which no doubt played a part in his massive heart attack upon returning to the USA.

Martha Raye entertained troops in WWII, Korea and (for nine years) Vietnam, sometimes for six months at a time. What isn't generally known because there was no publicity about it is that she entertained at Green Beret A-Camps, and at one she served as a nurse after it came under fire while she was there. After that the Green Berets nickbamed her "Colonel Maggie". She also once held her show at a Soc Trang to await a missing chopper that was on a mission to find POWs, and volunteered to assist the doctor when the wounded crew was recovered. Because of her USO service a special exception was given to bury her at Arlington, but she had requested internment at Fort Bragg, and this was done with full military honors.

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

You could have just as easily titled this, "Where Are the Real Women?" IMO, it's mostly due to the demise of rural culture...or at least the number of people participating in it.

I wonder how many children today have voluntarily killed, on purpose, with their own hands, an innocent and perfectly healthy animal that weighs greater than 3 lbs?

I remember one time, my uncle had a nest of starlings making a racket in the rain gutter of his house. Nobody knew what to do. Call an exterminator? Hell no. My grandmother, aged in her 60's, got out a ladder, climbed up there with a pair of gloves, a screwdriver, and a bucket...pulled each baby starling out of the nest, conked it in the head with the screwdriver handle, and plopped it in the bucket for later disposal. My uncle's kids were literally in tears, watching it.

Kids eat the cheeseburgers...but a quarter of them would probably have to be put in counseling if they accidentally ran over a dog. When we were kids, if we wanted chicken for dinner, mom said "go catch one." When you are forced to participate in the circle of life - rather than have it be something you just read about in books - it makes you a different person.

14. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

The smell of singed chicken feathers on Saturday.

The smell of the out-house.

The smell of pine saw dust off a ground mill on a cool spring morning.

The smell of the pig parlor.

The smell of the insides of a buck deer on a cold winter's dawn.

Except for my sweet wife and children, I'd give everything I have if I could go back.

Kit

15. Mapper

Mapper Member

Buzz Gun makes an important point. People don't have any idea where the stuff they eat comes from. For meat, something has to die and be cleaned. Making hunting a course in living couldn't hurt. It wouldn't cure everything, but one job at a time.....

16. Brian in Oregon

Fah. Everyone knows hamburgers come from McDonalds, and chicken from KFC. And shame on those who get meat from poor, innocent deer.

17. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I love Motorhead. "Ace of Spades" is my favorite. Lemmy rocks on that bass. Oh...the other kind of motorhead. Never mind :)

Steve did all the riding except for the big jump. Bud Ekins did that one. The bike was a tricked up Triumph TR6 made to look "German". Bud did that, too. Bud and his brother Dave were long time Triumph men. Bud was a dealer until Triumph went belly up, then switched to Honda. He always regretted that. Bud was a gold medal winner in the 1962 ISDT. He also competed in 1964, with his brother and McQueen. Mounted on Triumphs, of course. He also did all of the heavy driving in "Bullit", with his hair dyed blonde to look like McQueen. They were long time friends.

I'm a Triumph motorhead.

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Hey Brian....what about Audie Murphy. Another real hero.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

hornet, my first was a 1960 TR6. Not too bad for the day. Best handling of any in that era.

I bought it from a fellow who had his foot smashed into the motor by a doofus who ran a stop sign.

Then I discovered racing. No more street bikes for a long time.

I might still have a Monobloc manual somewhere.

HM

20. chuckles

chuckles Member

John Wayne should not be mentioned as a war hero in the same breath as Jimmy Stewart, Lee Marvin, Clark Gable, Tyrone Power, Audie Murphy, and many other ligitimate WWII combat veterans....

JW passed on enlisting into WWII upon the advice of his Hollywood agent, he was advised that it would kill his movie career as an actor (he was already 34 years old), it is rumoured that he regretted this his entire life and made all his famous war movies to atone his failure to serve.

He remains an iconic figure as a real man to this day....

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.