1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the 1100/1187s and 870s?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

When I shot more trap, say thirty years ago, there were a buncha 1100s and 870s on the line; and lots of the top shots using them too. Now I'm back to shooting some more trap, and the only 1100/1187 I see in the rack is mine. No 870s.

They're priced right, point right, and the recoil is oh sooooooo nice.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just shows that today's pocketbook's are larger than the average shooter's IQ.

Curt

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I see many autos and pumps when not shooting registered targets. To bad the clubs can't get the practice shooters who shoot affordable guns into registered shooting.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Your shooting around the hi-dollar group, plenty of 1100s--870s--31s--m12s--etc. where I go. Don't worry about what somebody else can afford your 870 will get the job done as well as their $15.000 S.B.T.s or whatever else they happen to have, just go out there & whup-up on them. I'm still shooting my Rem. 31 T.C. & not ashamed of it either, yes I do have others but just feel more at home with the 31. Maybe shooting it for 30+ yrs. has something to do with it. Enjoy your 870 & show-em what it will do. Ross Puls

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I haven't been to any registered trap shoots. These shoots were non-registered Lewis Class events. One day I went to club to use the pattern board. I couldn't use the board because their trap league shoot was that day. The kitchen was open so I ate lunch and socialized, and looked at the guns on the line and in the racks. Mostly K guns and P guns, and few a top-line guns that haven't made it skeet fields yet. A few B-99s and fewer Citories. Not only didn't I see any 1100s, 1187s, or 870s, I didn't see any Model 12s or Broadways.

6. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

I shoot an 1100 classic trap, 870 classic trap and 870 competition trap exclusively. Personally I have no reason to try anything else. They all have adjustable combs and buttplates and are set up to the same poi. I can interchange with no apparent change in shooting scores. The 1100 needs a bit more care than the 870's but no big deal. Enjoy your 870. A gun to be truly be reckoned with.

Darryl

7. FIB

FIB Member

I think it all depends where you shoot. I used to shoot at a club in Darien, WI that had a more wealthy clientele. Conversely, I also shot at a club west of Fond du Lac that was mainly a "blue collar" crowd and there were lots of 1100's and 870's. As a matter of fact I would say at that club Remington was King! I would love to own a P,K, or L gun someday but I've got two sons to raise and put through college so my BT99 will have to do. Regards, Randy Price

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

mrskeet410:
    The majority of the 870's, 1100's, model 12's, are in shooters closets collecting dust. Sometime over the past 40 years a lot of tournament shooters felt if the all Americans purchased expensive equipment and are winning and shooting well they must know something that they don't. So some purchased the same type of equipment. Nothing wrong with that, it's their money, along with pride of ownership. I just wish they would sell these same guns in their closets so the rest of us could purchase them. I wish they would also sell spare sets of wood some also have for these guns too. In my opinion, if these same shooters started shooting these guns in their closets, they might do as well or better than what they are presently shooting today. In my area of the country it was in 1971 or 1972 that I first saw the P and K guns on the shelves for roughly $600.00. The trigger, the balance, was also a factor in their decision to purchase these same guns. This sport has never been for the average working man, until reloading was first introduced in the 50's and the above mentioned guns can be argued that they represent the average working man today.
    Steve Balistreri

9. maka

maka Member

I purchased a new 870 classic trap last spring. Its a joy to shoot and just smokes targets. I purchased a new remington hard case from Maccarron off this site. Now I have the perfect set-up. Good Luck

10. 121083

121083 Member

I shot a Model 12 for a few years until someone asked me why I wasn't shooting a left hand gun. I catch a lot of crud from my fellow shooters but I have been shooting a left hand 1100 for 14 years. Rattle trap and all of the other names have been called out about my guns but they shoot good and fits me and I can shoot all day long with little recoil effect. They may take a little more work to keep running, I clean mine after every shoot, and when you compare that I have only $400 to $600 in a gun and it will break just as many targets as a $15,000 gun, that's a lot of money to spend on more targets or reloading components or gas. Good shooting.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Reminds me of a former PA State Champion from the 60's and Model 12 user who purchased one of the first Perazzi TM-1's. I don't believe he broke above 18/25 in the few weeks he owned it. Guess you know where it went!!

12. Hawkeye Kid

Hawkeye Kid TS Member

I have a stan Baker 1100 & a 870 TB

Hank

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I also remember a grand old gentleman with the last name of Etchen who was quite handy with an 870

14. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

I shot my 870 competition in last Sunday league...and everyone noticed the gun...some had never seen a one shot pump...However, all remarked about the way it broke targets!!!

Dave

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

121083:
    Over the years when a shooter is doing well with a pump or semi auto I have personally heard shooters say " we have to find a way to get that gun out of his hands because he's shooting it to well". If you shoot your gun well, marry it, and don't let any of these knot heads talk you into purchasing something else.
    Steve Balistreri

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

And make sure not to fall for that line " As well as you shoot that old cheap gun...you would be state champ if you shot a ________(P-gun, K-gun etc.)

17. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

Gentleman, Let us remember that it is the Indian that has the problem Not the arrow....That cause a lost target.
    Lane

18. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I shoot at the Silver Dollar and have been looking for a non-Monte Carlo 1100 trap with chokes at something approaching a reasonable price. Because I am interested in one, I have noticed that few shoot registered with 1100s/870s or 11/87s, rather most of the shooters with those guns show up just for a round or two of practice from time to time and most of their guns are field models.

I shot all through the Dixie on a number of squads with shooters from "up north" and never saw a single 1100 or 870. I'm sure there were some there, but I missed seeing them. Lots and lots of Beretta autos, but no (or few) 1100s around.

Used to be a shooter from Canada who brought two 870s, one for singles, the other for 'caps, who shot them well, but he didn't come down this year. A couple of years ago, there was a young fellow shooting an 1100 (very well) with the highest rib I've ever seen (looked like a Moneymaker) but he hasn't been around lately, either.

One vender had an 11/87 and another had an 1100 field model for sale-that's all.

Really haven't been a lot on TS.com lately, either.

Several folks I know have them, but relegate them to their safe "in case" they want or need to shoot a soft-shooting gun in the future.

Bob

19. 121083

121083 Member

Steve Balistreri, When I broke my first 200 straight with my 1100 2 years ago it kind of quieted the negative comments. A friend told me I was stupid when I talked about getting something else. So I am stiil using them. I now have 3 to shoot trap with. By the way if any one is interested, I was in Guns Unlimited in Omaha two weeks ago and they had a left hand 1187 trap in the gun room with the high dollar stuff. It was in A1 shape and if I remember right they had $700 or $750 on it. It had a monte carlo stock and a 30" step rib barrel but I did not check to see if it had choke tubes or not. Good shooting

20. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Senior Smoke is right...
    When I first started shooting here in eastern Iowa and western Ill. in the early 70's there were LOTS of M-12's with custom wood and nice 870tc's,1100's and the only O/U's around were the occasional Browning superposed.
    I also wish these old trap pumps would get out of the closet and on the market
    or better yet back on the trap line in the hands of a grandson or other relative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.