1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where Are All The MX3 Specials

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brucestorey, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

I am always searching the internet, looking for MX3 Specials. I own a couple, but I just can't get enough of them. I'm not actually in the market for one, but if I saw one I liked (can't say I have seen one I didn't like), I would have a hard time keeping my hands off of my wallet. I like to look at them. I like to look for slight differences of those I don't (yet) own. I am always interested in whatever is written about them -- whether it is a seller's description, or part of an owner's post on an internet forum.

The problem is, it seems there are no MX3 Specials for me to spend my time drooling over. I can find just about every other type of Perazzi on any given day, but it is rare that a new listing or Google "hit" appears for my favorite gun.

Is it just that not many MX3 Specials were produced? Is the MX3 Special an undesirable gun, and so, not worthy of sale or recognition? Could it be that buyers and/or sellers confuse the MX3 Special with the MX3 and just "think" it is an inferior Perazzi (as if there were such a thing as an "inferior" Perazzi)? I think that my last question might have some merit because most of the MX3 Specials I have seen (and bought) were way underpriced.

In case you decided not to read (can't blame you) the body of my post and jumped down here to the bottom to see if I had a reason for posting a thread, my question is:

Where are all of the MX3 Specials?

Bruce

2. joehunter

joehunter Member

Bruce,

I have 2 combo's and love them. One has a SC3 reciever. I have a 34/30 combo and a 34/32 combo. They are hard to find. People who shoot them love them. I have an extra set of 32 inch MX3 special OU barrels I am thinking of selling if someone is interested and possibly a 34 inch MX3 Special top single with briley tubes.

I sent you a email.

Thanks,

Joey

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have the regular MX3 with the rounded monobloc and it shoots Top barrel first which was Perazzi's solution to avoid the extra trigger group on an entry level gun. I love the rib on the MX3 probably more so than on the MX8. I had the barrel lugs welded up to a shallower angle and the top lever fix to prevent the gun from popping open. I haven't seen many MX3 Specials for sale and the only ones I did see cost considerably more than my MX3. Since I'm a cheapskate who likes a gun with a fixed rib, I would probably look for an MX14 unsingle if I couldn't find an MX3 Special.

4. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I have one and it is surely a KEEPER I have heard that in certain areas of this Country there is sort of a CULT of MX3 Special owners, I just have the OU and would be interisted in that top single mentioned above ( if the price is right ) <a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=100_2634.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=100_2633-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=100_2635.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=100_2628.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=100_2629-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=100_2627.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=100_2636.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Had an chance to buy an MX3 Special a couple of months ago (seller wasn't ready to sell and would not state a price)...but I have no idea of what would be considered a fair price. My friend (seller) keeps saying he is "thinking" about selling it, but won't set a price. The gun has an adjustable comb, 30 - 31"(?) barrels, in a case, and is 99% condition - much like the one in the photos on this thread. I've been told that it should be bought for about $3,500 - $4,000. What is a price range for such an MX3 Special? Thanks in advance & Best Regards, Ed

6. flush-em

flush-em Member

Hey guys!, can anyone answer this for me?-does the MX-3 special fire the bottom barrel first? or is it like the regular MX-3 and fire the top barrel first?? --thank you steve

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

The original poster says he finds them to be available cheaper than other Perazzis. Where is he finding MX-3 Specials that are underpriced? I haven't seen a cheap one since I bought a new MX-3 Special in 1990. Where are they you ask.... they are in the hands of shooters that will not sell them.

8. joehunter

joehunter Member

drhuner,

I sent you a PM.

Joey

9. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

The MX3 Special is indeed a remarkable shotgun. Bought mine in 1989 as a 32/34 O/U - top single combo. The MX3 Special denotes the "special" trigger which is both adjustable (LOP) and internally selectable for firing sequence. The MX8 style locking system on barrels allows the fitting of all sorts of barrels to the gun, but the comb height is designed to fit the medium height ramped rib of the MX3 series guns.

Play Dead

10. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

drhuner,

Thanks so much for the pictures. I love the barrels and the rib on that gun. I can't say I've ever seen that on an MX3 Special before.

joehunter,

How much would you sell that barrel for?

OldGoat,

I bought my first MX3 Special last year at a skeet shoot for $4,500.00. It had originally, a couple months earlier, been for sale at $6,750.00. It was built in 1987 and came with a 27-9/16" heavy skeet barrel and a 27-9/16" light barrel to compliment the included KOLAR tube set. Every part of this gun is original and matching, including the P4 trigger with only adjustable LOP and not internally selectable. This gun came in a NASCO case and was in 97-98% condition.

I bought my second MX3 Special this year from a seller on Gun Broker for $3,000.00. This gun was listed for over three months at this price, and for the life of me, I couldn't imagine why nobody would buy it. I looked at it every day for the months it was listed until I finally caved-in and bought it. The only thing that is not original on this gun is the trigger -- somebody swapped-out the P4 trigger for a standard non-adjustable trigger. This gun came with a single medium weight 27-9/16" skeet barrel, Briley tube set and was in an Americase. This gun is in 98-99% condition and was built in 1991. I have been on a quest for a P4 (P4-S, whatever) trigger for this gun since the day it arrived.

flush-em,

The MX3 Special fires bottom barrel first. The MX3 fires top barrel first.

Rick979,

After reading what I paid for the two guns above, do you think I got good deals? I may be wrong, but I think I stole both of these guns. I really don't know -- that's why I am asking.

Play Dead,

The P4 trigger on my first MX3 Special is not internally adjustable -- only adjustable for LOP. Perhaps the selectable version came later. In Karl Lippard's book, he calls the trigger on the "Special" guns the P4-S for four position. He doesn't say what the "S" is for, so I always assumed it was for "Special." Maybe it's not for "Special," rather, "Selectable." Either way, mine is not selectable, but my first MX3 Special is an early version, so maybe the internally selectable feature came after 1987.

Thanks all,

Bruce

11. joehunter

joehunter Member

Bruce,

It does sound like you got good deals, but also the 27 1/2 inch barrels are less popular than the longer barrels. The MX3 special combo that are nice are in that $5500 range. The most popular being the 34/32 or the 34/30 combo's.
    I sent you a PM about the barrel.

Thanks,

Joey

12. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

For a while, I had owned a 27 1/2" barreled MX3 Special O/U that I purchased from Cabela's. It came with Perazzi chokes that were in the skeet range of use, had nice wood for a perazzi and a schnabel forend.

I used the gun for sporting clays and skeet, but since I am mainly a traphooter, I traded the gun in for a TMX that I found at the same Cabela's. The price of the gun when purchased initially in 2004 was $3250. The gun was listed at Cabela's in Hamburg for the longest time after I traded it back in (2008)for the same price...$3250. I bought my TMX last July and as of a month ago, Cabela's still had the MX3 Special for sale and on display, although I just checked their Gun Library website and it is no longer listed. Perhaps some lucky skeet shooter bought it, but it would be worth a phone call is someone is interested in the gun. They just may have removed it from the website and may actually still have it. You may even be able to get a deal on it if it has been in their inventory for nearly a year. This gun also had an adjustable length of pull and an interally selectable trigger.

Brucestory,

You are right about the triggers not all being selectable. I know that the internally selectable triggers that were also LOP adjustable had a short lifespan relative to other configurations of trigger available from Perazzi. I think that someone on this website does offer the "selectable tree" as a part to retrofit triggers that are not selectable. It may be Whiz White.

Play Dead

13. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

bruce and others... thanks for info. I am interested in my friend's MX3 Special...will just have to wait & see. Best Regards, Ed

15. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

Play Dead,

Was your MX3 Special the one with the English stock? I was at the Hamburg Cabela's three times in the last year and this was the only one I noticed. I had it out of the case the first time I saw it and broke it down on the table in the center of the gun room. I thought about buying that gun all three times.

Bruce

16. joehunter

joehunter Member

I have sent pictures of the 32 inch MX3 special OU barrel to everyone that emailed me. If you did not get a reply let me know. Just remove the xxx in the email.

Thanks,

Joey

17. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

Brucestorey,

The gun that you describe was the one that I owned. Traded it back to Cabela's last July in order to purchase a very nice TMX that came into their possession. I thought that the straight English stock and schnabel forend were odd to find on a Skeet gun, so I wasn't sure how the gun was originally marketed. It was great for skeet and sporting clays, but was a little too heavy for hunting. The stock was also too nice to hunt the gun anywhere but a game farm. The rocky PA woods are not kind to pretty wood on hunting guns.

I've got to make another Cabela's run soon. Whenever I go there I check if they have sold the gun yet. I have considered buying it back. I hate to get rid of a gun, even if it is to trade for something else that I want. This was a good one.

Play Dead

18. marotta

marotta Member

I have one that fits me like a glove, it's quick, light, and shoots where you point it, with over 175,000 rounds through it. It's built like a sherman tank. I don't need another trap gun even though I own one other Perazzi and a Browning.

Raffaele

19. joehunter

joehunter Member

My MX3 special OU barrels are sold.

Thanks,

Joey

20. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

I'll be expecting my commission check in the mail any day now, Joe.

That was quick! Good for you.

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi tmx trap gun for sale at cabelas