1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are all the 40-50 mpg vehicles?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TOOLMAKER 251, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Piddy, To answer your question there all at the VW dealerships (VW turbo diesels)

2. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Remember the VW Rabbit and PU diesels, I think they got close to 50mpg or so I was told, but they had about a 25 second 0-60 time. The other problem is that the price spread between gas and diesel is widening. Last night I saw a sign showing gas at 3.77 and diesel at 4.77.

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Drove by the Chevy dealership in town last night and the row of cars along the main drag, which used to be all pickups, Tahoes and Escalades, was all Cobalts and Aveos.

They are definitely aware of what's going on with people and gas prices.

4. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

VW will have the diesel jetta back in the U.S. later this year. Then other models will follow.

Mercedes has several models available with diesel power.

Our Jetta gets 47-50 mpg at 70+ mph. It is an '06 sedan, 5 speed stick.

At $4.60 per gallon that's about $.096 cents per mile for fuel only.

At $3.80 per gallon of gasoline, you need a gas powered car getting 39.58 mpg to compare. The problem is that most small gas cars that can get 39.6 mpg can't get out of thier own way. The diesel, being that it is a turbo motor, runs very well on flat land as well as going thru mountain areas.

The new turbo diesels don't take the time to get 0-60 mph that the old diesels performance req.

Phil

5. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Same around here...the dealerships have put the big drinkers on the back side of the lots and put the smaller higher MPG cars up front.
    Ford also said they were going to pretty much cut the f150 line off and push their 2 little popular cars more.

6. SanDiegoShooter

SanDiegoShooter TS Member

I bought a Nissan Altima Hybrid a few months back. I am getting 37 MPG. And that is based on 75% stop and go traffic. (San Diego freeways are not fun). It has plenty on get up and go. Granted it does not get you to the 40-50 MPG. But again look at your driving pattern. Do you mostly drive freeway or city? And is your freeway driving mostly stop and go like mine is because of traffic.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My 1990 Benz 300D Turbo (diesel) gets 36 mpg and always has, street or highway. And it has 205,000 miles on it, and runs perfect. They could do it in 1990.

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again. The better gas milage our autos get the more gas prices will go up so those making the profit do NOT lose any of it.

9. lockednloaded

lockednloaded TS Member

Had a Mercedes 300sd turbo diesel. Weighed 4000 lbs, got 28 MPG with a 5 cyl diesel. Back in 1999 diesel was 89 cents a gallon. I was doing a LOT of driving at that rate!
    Car was a pleasure to work on. So well built. Got 350k miles out of it. New it was $32k in 1982. As much as a house in some areas. Got it used in 1995 for $5k. Could fit a mountain bike with front and rear wheels attached in the back seat.
    As far as solid, they did an ad in 1982 for the car, taking a huge eyehook and bolting it on the outside of the door, through the door. They then picked the entire 2 ton car up by the door. Fortunately no one ever crashed into me. Unless they were a truck, they would have lost.

New Chevy Impala gets 32 mpg on the highway. Not bad for the size of the car.

10. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

hoggy, repeating the same idiotic thing doesn't make it true.

11. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Changing the speed limit has nothing to do with the speed people drive- only liberals believe it does. Remember when the highway limit was 55- well if you were stupid enough to drive that slow, you were risking your life.

Goose, you don't need a speed limit reduction to slow down, all you need is a lighter touch on the accelerator pedal.

12. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

GAS $3.95 here in pittsburgh. diesel $4.99. ouch our truckers can't make it on these prices.

13. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I owned a VW diesel Rabbit Pickup. It clicked off 40mpg week in and week out. I hauled a bunch of deer home and it would tow my boat and hold a few decoys. I would think they could not build them fast enough if they built them again......Roger

14. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Piddy,

Please tell me that you were joking with your post!

Gas prices are NOT high because there is an “oil man in the white house”.

What mistake are you talking about? There was a “huge finding” in the gulf. The problem is that it’s China and other countries that are going after it, simply because we won’t.

The reason gas and oil prices are high is because of you liberals. Democrats push the agenda of those that support them. Global Warming nut jobs are a big supporter of the Democratic party. The dems are the ones that have kept us from going after the “huge finding” you talked about. The dems are the ones that keep us from going into ANWR. The dems are the ones that have kept us from building one new refinery in over 3 decades. The dems are the ones that have shelved a bill that would have oil companies extracting shale oil @ $35 barrel cost from the rocky mountains. The dems are the ones that have blocked any new nuclear plants from being built for decades. If you want to know why you’re paying so much for energy and why we have to spend our money and the lives of our soldiers to stabilize the middle east you can simply look in the mirror

15. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I decided to put some real numbers on the gas price thing and here is what I came up with.

My wife and I drive a combined 25000 miles a year on our personal cars. Her Mazda gets 24mpg on average and my Mercedes gets about 18-19 mpg. With an average fuel consumption of 20 mpg we burn 1250 gallons of gas per year.

At $2.00 per gallon = $2500 annually or $48 per week

At $3.00 per gallon = $3550 annually or $72 per week

At $4.00 per gallon = $5000 annually or $96 per week

We have been blessed with income that can support the extra $200 per month for gas in the last 4 years ... I understand that many families can't stand the extra cash drain. We are cutting back on the trips to town and doing our best to maximize the use we get from our vehicles.

Gas and diesel are supply/demand commodities. If each of us would try to conserve with the cars we have and not make wasted trips the supply would start to increase and with reduced demand prices will drop. Remember they can't eat oil!

Bob Schultz

16. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

My 06 VW Jetta Turbo Diesel got 46.0 mpg when I filled up this morning. Some of that tank was at a steady 72mph (going to work) and the rest a steady 80mph
    (coming home). Only drops to 43 at a steady 85! AND a very comfortable roomy car! After 30 years of performance cars, it is one of the best buys I ever made. I might buy a Passat Diesel when it comes out for the wife, a beautiful car.

17. biff

biff Active Member

Bob, good thoughts on this and I agree with you. If you look at the overall picture as to the flat amount more each month that you are paying, it's a lot easier to take than dreading what amount you're gonna see each time you stop to buy gas! Biff

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

My vehicle goes 0-60 in about 5 seconds, runs the quarter at 15 seconds at 92 mph, and gets 60 mpg...oh, I forgot, it's a single cylinder MC at 650cc...

19. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

VW no longer makes diesels in US.

20. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

2009 jetta tdi up to 60 mpg.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.