1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

when you work with your hands WHY

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

cooper; to answer your question in as few words as possible, there are a lot of assholes in this world!

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I understand your plight.I took time off of my Renovation work to do some rush Cabniet work .Got done and now customer says he is owed alot of money and when he gets paid from some people who owe him I'll get mine. I did the job as more of a favor and less than half of normal. What a crock. The people with the mos money are always the deadbeats. Jeff

3. DJM

DJM Member

In our LTL trucking company we spend a substatial amount of time doing collections. Some customers have an entirely different mind set on paying their just bills. The poor ethics of not paying bills does not seem to be a factor.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Communication problem perhaps?

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Not communications , just money people having fun with our money. Jeff

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I had a very good buddy in the concrete business back in the other century and he came to a point of nearly refusing jobs for the "well healed." They seemed always to have an excuse to delay payment after the work was done. On several occasions he rented a jack hammer and showed up unannounced which always had the twits suddenly finding enough money to pay the bill after all.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

7. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

copper I understand your frustration. I have been self employed in the excavating business since 1979. And I still here more reasons not to pay or give me a discount. My brother and I own 48 rental unites from time to time I here some real dandies there on late payments.

Bob Dodd reminds me of a job I did digging out a drive way years ago for a concrete contractor. The home owner refused to pay the full amount stating another contractor said he would of done the job cheaper so he wouldn't pay. So the contractor I did the job for as well as the owner of the ready mix company called me to meet them at that job and come with a backhoe. I did as told and I turned that drive way up side down. From garage to side walk. When done the contractor asked me how much he owed me and I said this ones on the house.

After 30 years in business I found money does strange things to certain people. I would never hire to have work done unless I had the money to pay when job is completed. Some people think we give credit with out asking. I could go on and on.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

lein the property and you'll get paid eventually. I recieved a check not to long ago for work done years back.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lien laws vary in some states. A notice of intent to file a lien usually gets some action. Especially when all legal and court costs are added to the total.

I would file a notice when I began work, and when the people involved asked I just said it had to be filed for legal reasons.

If you are in Wisconsin email me and I will go further.

HM

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I was a Masonry contractor for 35 years and retired in 1998 . Years ago about 1970 or so I was working in a little town and people would walk by and stop and watch . One day an old man was standing there watching me After some time he said son I work,t contruction for years and learned one thing .

You need to have a taste for Shi$$ because you will get alot .

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem collecting money owed to me !

I inform them that I will turn it over to the "Vinnie & Guido Basball Bat Collection Agency".

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

my father told me as a kid, all you have in life is your word. once you break it, people will never treat you the same. i use to be work at a collection agency, and there are some people who just do not pay. i son in law is a carpenter, thinking of asking for the money up front.
    steve

13. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Once had a guy tell he would pay me when he sold his pigs. I ask when that would be? He said it might be a bit as he was on his way but a bore.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Wolfram is right on. Wayne

15. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Sometimes I've found that the RICHER they are the WORSE they ARE........they have so much money that they can't understand how ANYONE would need money. Then again..I work for the "Common" People , and they PAY right NOW and with THANKS. Go FIGURE.Makes sense of the term "the rich get richer". The wrench in this is that sometimes the RICH are living WAY beyond their means. If you want something DONE........then PAY for it when it's done !

16. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

You're RIGHT to BITCH COPPER.

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I dont do much residentual work but I do have a policy I DO NOT WORK FOR THE P T L CLUB. That is Prechers[ want everything for nothing] Teachers {you can not please them] and Lawyers [you can not get your money] And I do ask first.rick

18. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I know a few guys in town here that have the same issue, so it is epidemic all over. They say after a job they have to twist arms to get paid from way to many customers. Many do pay on time, but heck those who dont make it worse for those who do. They get mad when they get a partial payment then BS excuses on why not paid in full since they provided a job at contracted price.
    It makes it tough on them, they like the rest of us expect to be paid and on time when doing a job.

19. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

BASICALY.....I ask for NOTHING UP FRONT......I do a job and expect to get PAID. If you do GOOD work...it works 99% of the time. It's that 1% that gets me. I've seen contractors that want 50% down.......before even starting a job. I have the CONFIDENCE in my work (and suppliers that give me 60 days)... to DO the JOB and let it SPEAK for ITSELF. I've not had a Small Claims case in 25 years .....and SMALL CLAIMS COURT IS YOUR LAST RECOURSE. ....unless you wanna "take the LAW into your own HANDS".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.