1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When you work for the city

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I just got home from school and I have to shovel snow. We got about 4 inches in Milwaukee today so it's not bad. As soon as I finshed the bottom of the drive shoveling, sure enough, the city snow plow came by and the driver made sure he covered up all the lower drive with snow for me to reshovel it again.

This same driver did it to me last year after I snow blowed around 8 inches of snow. My father use to be in the sanitation department for the city of Milwaukee years ago and in winter he snow plowed with city trucks. He once told me that some of the drivers get a kick of plowing close to the curb well knowing that you just got done shoveling.

Some drivers will give you a break and not plow so you have to shovel again. I needed gas for the snow blower after the guy plowed in my drive . Guess who I see taking a break at the corner gas station purchasing cigs and soda and something to eat? The same guy who just plowed me in again.

I told him what happened and mentioned my father use to plow for the city too. I asked him if he could not plow by my drive should he see that I already shoveled. I asked him what he usually drinks and told him I'd settle up with him at the end of snow season.

My neighbor was in the gas station and heard what just transpired. He said this driver gets a kick out of replowing the driveways in after you shovel. He said you should have cursed him out. I told him you get more things with honey than vinegar.

Years ago, I worked for the the city police department and when residents would come in and bit-- and moan and yell and tell you that they pay our salary it would usually go on deaf ears. If a resident was nice and explained the situation calmly we were usually more receptive to their particular problem.

Do any of you snow plow, or has this same scenario ever happened to you after you snow blowed or shoveled? My wife says I am asking to much for these drivers to deviate from the norm during or after a snow storm. Maybe she needs to experience shoveling and having this same thing happen to her?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Steve move to Texas, then you won't have to worry about the snow

But I can understand how it would be irritating

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I live in Iowa and go through the same thing every winter. Our city employees will start their routes at what ever time the snow storms dictate so plowing by my house will vary in times. The key word here is ROUTE. If they all varied from their routes or changed their procedures for everyone what kind chaotic mess would we have?

One way to look at it is how would you like to get up in the middle of the night, plow snow for god knows how many hours and then have an irate home owner complain you plowed his drive shut. Most of the time the homeowners complain the snow is not removed fast enough. Oh yea, and complain how your wages are breaking the country's bank roll the rest of the year. lol Most of these guys income is just above some States poverty level.

Bill

4. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Steve think of the great workout your getting, I had to go to the Gym, but the scenery was pretty good. I think tomorrow I am going to bike 40 miles to make up for not having to shovel my 100 yd driveway. John Moore

5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Why not wait till the guy plows then clear the drive?

6. senior smoke

391 shooter:
    It would be nice if people could wait until the plows come through, but with work, school, most need to get out. It is difficult especially during a big snow storm.

This is not a big deal when we get less than 6 inches, but with a lot of snow it can be very hard. A doctor once told me no matter how good a shape someone is in, snow shoveling or snow blowing puts to much stress on a persons heart.
    Steve

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Fish On!!!! Chalk it up to it being one of those facts of life things. Yeah maybe the plow driver could back up and take a swipe across the apron of your drive and what if he moves three or four yards of dirt and sod. Time to go tap dance on a desk at city hall I guess. Get over it it happens. Just because you think they are out to get you dosen't mean they aren't!!! He he Must be nice to have snow to worry about, notmuch at all here in NW Ohio. Kinda breaks my heart, NOT!!All good fun. Steve

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I was born and raised in the Buffalo New York area where it snowed horizontal and understand what you are saying. Have since moved to Las Vegas and people often ask me how I moved to Las Vegas from Buffalo. I tell them that I kept going west until you couldn't buy snow shovels any more.

9. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Even in Alaska we kind of have the same problem,but on a grader that is moving 88 inches of snow when pushing back the berms no matter even if the snow wing is down you can only carry snow so far.The grader hands are doing the best they can this year with this much snow.I clear my driveway with a plowtruck so it usually is not a big deal.And its COLD dammit up here,Nome is Iced in and is having a rough time getting fuel for this winter.The ice cap is melting,yea right Al !!!

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey Trimtab ... you stole my line about moving West. Only difference is that I kept on going until I saw a beach in December!

11. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I live about 8 miles west of Amarillo, in the country, and it snows here. It can snow alot. It can kill alot of cattle, strand alot of people, and screw up I-40. I have a snow blower in the barn, and have used it many times. One time, when my wife was pregnant with our first child, and needed some medication, I drove a tractor to town, because it was snowing so bad. It drifts bad here, because of the wind. The county motorgrader drivers do a pretty good job of our roads, when they can get to us. Don't tell me it doesn't snow in Texas. Whatever your meds are, I don't want them. Charlie Henderson

12. senior smoke

Eric:
    If I sat in a chair with a plate of cookies raised above my head, I think people would just see the cookies above the mound of snow that this driver just plowed on my driveway. Instead of cookies, we agreed on liquor at the end of the snow season.
    Steve

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It is aggravating, but it has to be kept simple, for a number of reasons. I think it would be more worthwhile to spend a little extra on your snowblower. Get one that handles that packed stuff they deliver. ;-)

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great excuse to buy another implement for the quad!

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Sorry bout that Charlie, let me rephrase it move to east Texas

Well it does snow here once in a blue moon, but it only lasts for a day or two

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Happens at our mountain cabin too when we get snow. Home base is in Los Angeles. Guy accross the street here in No-Cal, El Dorado County, California, works for the road department. He sometimes runs the snowplow down the street,depending. Problem is, they have only so much time to get the job done.

Thank goodness that we have only a small, level driveway here and a two stage snowblower for me to "play with"...just enough for excitement!

17. hockeyref

hockeyref Member

My father suffered a stroke while trying to get his car shoveled back out... He snuck out to try to clear it out as soon as he saw the plow go past. Same yahoo city employee always drove that route that seemed to make it a point to bury folks.... nuff said and you know where I stand.

18. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Try this,go get a dozen doughnuts,find out where their yard is,
    show up there a little before shift starts and leave the doughnuts a long with a nice greeting card,I'll bet you'll get a srtaight blade when they pass your house.
    I work with a plow crew and have yet to see this fail,
    these guys work hard long hours and appreciate any kindness.
    Jim

19. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I learned a trick from Jimmy Hoy, R.I.P., who was a cat skinner. We had to borrow a D-8 so Jim could level a new trap field we were building on Oahu.

We asked two fellows working in a cane field if we could borrow their Cat and if they would trailer it over to us. Next day the move hadn't been made so Jim went to town and came back to pick me up. We drove to the field, Jim jumped out of the car and asked the field boss if he liked Seagram's 7. He said "you bet". Jim handed him a half gallon of VO and told him to please move the Cat.

It was there in a half hour.

20. senior smoke

Like I said you will get more with honey than vinegar,
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.