1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When will the sickness end?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by davidjayuden, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Better batten down the hatches. Schummer is probably fighting to get in front of a camera right now.
    dju

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sickening - and I doubt there ever will be an end to this kind of horror.

3. 87AA

87AA TS Member

"When will this sickness end?"

When we, responsible gun owners, break away from the "from my cold dead hands" extremist.

Of course this also means the the sensible non-gun owners have to break away from the "ban all gun" extremist.

A sensible conversation on how to protect our rights and our children is possible but not while the extreme ends pull the strings.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It is terrible what happened, why kill the kids?

Undoubtedly this will get the anti's going in hyperdrive

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    87AA, so you're saying we law abiding citizens have to give up our rights because society cannot properly handle the mentally ill?

Where do you draw the line? Society is not keeping enough drunk drivers off the road. Should law abiding drivers need to give up some of their vehicles and maybe we get to keep wine and beer but give up hard liquor?

Banning guns is not the answer. Criminals and whackos will simply use whatever is available, then those guns will be the next target. I remember when the anti's wanted a ban on handgun barrels shorter than 4". It was pointed out to them the stupidity of that since the difference between a 2" barrel and a 4" barrel is ten minutes and a hacksaw.

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

This is the worst case scenario I had postulated several years ago on a NEA web site discussion group. My wife was a teacher and so we got their newspaper. I think it may have been after Columbine.

My comments followed several entries from teachers who were all of the "Ban All Guns"persuasion. My comment compared fire extinguishers in schools being used by teachers only to protect the students and escape the fire. Others tried to say that teachers are NOT firefighters and I agreed. The teacher's job is to do what they must to insure the safety of their students. That is why I put escape the fire as the number one priority. I then went on to point out that a properly trained (and licensed) teacher who had ready access to a firearm may be much better equipped and prepared to protect their students from someone coming in to injure or kill their students.

The comments I got back from almost all posters were, to say the least, personal attacks and did not actually reply to the issue. There were a few teachers who did see the concept as something to be considered and possibly adopted.

Now I have to wonder if the killing in Connecticut may have ended before many or most of the victims were killed had a teacher, principal, Secretary or janitor been properly armed and trained for the unique situation of someone getting into to a school to commit mass murder.

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If destroying all my weapons could save one life, it would be worth it. But you know, these aren't the weapons that are causing the problem. I must repeat the often quoted line..."Guns don't kill people, people kill people" Why, we'll never really know why. If they confiscate all private owned guns, the crazies bent on such mayhem will use car bombs, gasoline, or who can only dream the other weapons they can put to use. I regret these things happen & I pray it will never happen again. I pray for all those involved and extend my condolences to their families.

Big Jack

8. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I saw an imaged on tv of the sign at the entrance to the school that read "Sandy Hook Elementary School, visitors welcome."

How horribly ironic.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

i would imagine it will come to armed guards at all our schools...

Its being reported the shooter is in his early 20's and a search at a house known by the shooter revealed a body.

Mental illness, bullying, violent video games and a one parent upbringing are some of the contributing evils in our society .

I agree with Brian, gun control isn't the answer. Take the fork off the table and they will still find a way to eat.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It is getting worse. Happening more often. Unfortunately it is a product of our ever degrading society. Good luck fixing that.

11. Brian in Oregon

Quote: <i>"If they confiscate all private owned guns, the crazies bent on such mayhem will use car bombs, gasoline, or who can only dream the other weapons they can put to use."</i>

Knife wielding man slashes 22 children and an adult at school in China. In 2010, a man slashed 28 children, two teachers and a security guard in a kindergarten in eastern China.

And the worst school murder spree in America was not done with firearms:

Hell comes to Bath

Bath School Disaster

The Bath School disaster is the name given to three bombings in Bath Township, Michigan, on May 18, 1927, which killed 38 elementary school children, two teachers, four other adults and the bomber himself; at least 58 people were injured.

Almost all of the victims were blown up with dynamite.

Happy Land fire

The Happy Land fire was an arson fire that killed 87 people trapped in an unlicensed social club called "Happy Land" (at 1959 Southern Boulevard) in the West Farms section of The Bronx, New York, on March 25, 1990. The killer only used gasoline.

12. Brian in Oregon

Don't forget that there has also been a serious failure of the justice system that has enabled some of these killers.

The Stockton shooter should not have been able to purchase his AK47 if his lengthy list of serious criminal activity had not been plea bargained away or dropped. His criminal record is so bad that a judge ordered it sealed to protect the incompetent.

The Arizona shooter had numerous run ins with local law enforcement.

The Mcdonald's shooter told his wife he was going to go hunt people, as he left with his gun. She shrugged it off.

And so on.

13. Brian in Oregon

OK, let's suppose the answer is to ban large capacity magazines and semi-auto guns....

In June 2010 Derrick Bird killed 12 and injured 11 in Cumbria UK. The assault weapons used? A top-break double barreled shotgun and a CZ 452 .22LR bolt action.

So how did he manage to kill a dozen people and maim another dozen, using a top-break shotgun and a little .22 bolt gun with a 5 round magazine?

Simple- no one else had a gun. No one in Cumbria had a right to defend themselves. The gunman simply walked around town in broad daylight killing people and reloading his guns.

Banning the tools is not the answer. Something needs to be done about the mentally ill. And that does not mean coddling them. The anti's are demanding the rights of law abiding gun owners be taken away. But these same liberals will demand that the rights of the mentally ill to threaten society not be curtailed. If someone's mental illness poses a threat to society, should they be allowed to roam at will? A time bomb waiting to go off?

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

We need to put our predjudices aside and allow for a time of mourning. No doubt the anti gun forces will rally in mass, particularly surronding what they consider assault weapons and magazine capacity's.

Our society is rife with people who are mentally unstable. Ten years of war, polarized and fractured political partys, a moral decline in the very fabric of the Constitution as constructed by our founders. Broken family's and consequently a loss of faith, and community.

We have a government creating class warfare, penalizing those who work hard while entitleing others who choose to live off the fruits of others labor.

It wasn't easy for our founders to create a model that was once the envy of the world. A model that put people, faith and community above Government. I'm truly afraid this nation as I have known it is forever damaged and doomed to mediocrity. At least until, if ever, it once again becomes One Nation under God.

My prayers go out to those immediately damaged by this terrible tragedy. Secondly they go to those who may find themselves mentally disturbed. May society provide an effective safety net for all who seek a way out of the darkness of mental illness.

Robert

15. drgondog

drgondog Member

87AA - you have a relatively simple perspective in lumping any firearms owners as extremists.

A logical person might ask you a couple of questions:
    1. To 'prevent' a future occurance what would you do with a magic wand? Poof - destroy all new firearms on the planet, raze the plants to the ground, eliminate all spare parts and tooling and ammo and powder and dies and primers?
    2. Then 'ban' all firearms in possession of military, police, law abiding citizens?
    3. Then 'ban' all firearms in possession of questionable and lawless - like say the Taliban, the mexican Drug cartels, etc?

How are we doin on 1, 2 and 3 so far.

So, if you can't do all of the above simultaneously then all remaining firearms remaining in citizen hands that aren't gonna turn them in plus cops and military, plus drug cartels, thugs, gangs, Taliban will 'just say no'

Good - you have disarmed a very small percentage - now what? If you think appealing to my 'common sense' when I see nut cases abounding out there - coupled with a Left wing bloc that wants to disarm 80,000,000 people for 'common sense' reasons? Then I say 'No'.

BTW - in a world in which we have al Quada murding women and children, drug cartels murdering women and children, gangs and thugs murdering women and children - none of which cares one hoot about UN Small Arms Treaty or Schumer or Obama or the CO Governor - why do you think any sane firearm owner will willingly give up their right to defend themselves - against individuals or mobs.

And yes I do Concealed Carry... and not with a Derringer.

Regards,

Bill the Curmudgeon.

16. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Terrible tragedy here in CT. Thoughts and prayers for the families, especially at this time of year.
    The gunman was at first believed to be twenty four years old , then it came out that it was his younger twenty year old brother who was the shooter was using his brother's id.
    Twenty year old's are not, by law, allowed to carry handguns or hold pistol permits here in CT.
    Yes the laws should have been enforced.

17. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

About every 5 minutes during their all afternoon broadcast of the tragedy CBS reporters are bringing up the presidents speech and the need for gun control.

18. Brian in Oregon

If banning firearms will stop crime, then why haven't we done that for heroin and meth?

Oh... wait...

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Invariably, in these situations multiple laws are violated, yet the answer from the leftists is always to pass another law. According to stoolie, all we need to do is ban cell phones and everything will be super duper.

Just kidding, stoolie, so you don't need to go into another incoherent left wing temper tantrum.

20. drgondog

drgondog Member

@Rpeerless - the kid stole the weapon from his parents (mother) killed her, killed his father and just forgot somehow that what he was doing was a.) wrong, b.) illegal in CT.

The kid in OR stole the weapons from a friend.

Why, I wonder, is it a mystery to some folks that despite laws to the contrary that people who commit crimes (such as steal weapons or don't register them) don't often care what the 'law' is?

We'll have the drumbeat (Can't let a crisis go to waste) over banning semi auto weapons. If it passes I predict maximum 20% turn in - if retroactive, 80% will raise an invisible single digit - symolic of the numeral "1"- to reflect what they think of the latest disarmament move by the Left of US Citizens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.