1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When will the buying frenzy lighten up

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jmunsell, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

Go to bi mart to buy some shells, 2 box limit they say, that is of course when they have em. Try to get powder, primers and wads is next to impossible. Is it really a buying frenzy or are the manufactures only putting out so much? When will this end?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Last thing I read was someone knew an employee @ Federal who told them if they didn't receive ANY more orders, they were 4 years behind on production. Things are going to be rough for a while.

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

My prediction is that the market will stabilize in the next couple months after the hoarders realize that there will be no new anti-gun or ammunition prohibition legislation passing the Senate let alone the Republican house; AND these same hoarders realize that Obama is not going to sign an executive order to ban ammunition manufacture, etc...

The cost of rifles have plunged on gunbroker over the past month or so, magazine prices are coming down.

And pretty soon the market is going to be flooded with all the firearms related stuff that we are short on now, plenty of guns and ammo went on plastic. Not all, but a good majority are going to dump these guns and take a loss to help pay on the credit card, etc. The economy still sucks, fuel is still incredibly high, beef and other commodities are still rising, etc.

And then there will be some that won't get rid of their 20 year stash of ammo because they won't deal with this absurd situation again! We shall see...

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Watch the .22 ammo selling on Gunbroker. Right now individuals, not dealers, are liquidating their stash. Bulk pacs (525 rounds) are going for $70 and up. When these start to drop we will be nearing the end of this frenzy.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It will never end. HMB

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

noknock1 has it about right.

The bad thing that will happen is when folks sell those AR's, mags, and ammo they paid three prices for and put on plastic at a huge loss, they will likely NOT pay off the plastic.

Next Christmas season will tell.

7. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Wow, im not seeing it this way at all, "a good majority are going to dump these guns and take a loss"--------------"pretty soon the market is going to be flooded with all the firearms related stuff"
    The people i know have bought as much as they can "afford"
    and im betting thats what most people are doing, and nun of my friends are willing to let go of anything anytime soon.
    this should be interesting to see how this actually pans out.

ive had my own ups and downs, and still have all my guns, but i learned after selling one of my fisrt guns that i regretted selling, "i only buy guns, i never sell guns"

8. JH

JH Well-Known Member

As long as the liberal anti-gun zealots are in power, the "hoarding" won't end.....remember, this is not a one shot deal....the anti-gunners are not going away....if there is another "incident" where a whacko mass murders people, they will piggy-back the emotional manipulation to push through bans.....

Smell the Petunias: The anti-gunners and their friends in the media will sensationalize any "incident" to push their agenda....this was their first blitz....not their last.....

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

It's going to be hard to say when this frenzy will end since it's dynamic in nature. The Federal gov't is working in one direction offset by the Republican House, the States are doing their own thing such as the crazies in New York. Some will have the strategy that I will not be caught in this situation again as we're only one shooting or treaty away from heaven knows what. Back in 1978 shot rose to $20.00 a bag which was a lot for those days; I made a pack with myself that if shot dropped below $10.00 a bag for Lawrence Magnum I would concentrate on buying a large supply. It finally hapened in the eighties and I acted and bought 150 bags. Then I concentrated on primers and was able to purchase 30,000 of Rem. *97 for $12.00 per 1,000 as Remington revised the primer with a covered flash hole and it immediately sold for almost $15.00 per thousand as since I was using Red & Green Dot the open flash hole didn't make any difference; finally used the last of those primers up a few years ago. I never regretted doing so. BT100dc

10. willing

willing Member

I have a friend who has connections and he says that manu prices of guns and ammo has not changed. These high prices are strictly local.

Bill

11. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

When will the buying frinzee lighten up

I still think there are a bunch of people that will have buyer's remorse and dump the stuff they have purchased starting in the next couple of months and stretching to Christmas. Come November, there will be plenty of deals on guns and ammo in general! Right, wrong, or indifferent, Christmas presents for the kids will take precedence over a gun in the closet!.

Freaking ridiculous that we are coming into shooting season and there isn't 22 ammo at normal prices available so I can take my kid shooting...

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My son decided to shoot with me this year. We shoot two matches per month. One Steel Challenge and one we call Rimfire Madness. It takes around 800 rounds per month for the two of us to shoot. I have 12K on hand right now. Cannot do a lot of practice unless things change.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

13. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Hmmmmm sounds like a great way to get the consumers into their stores everyday. I bet these stores sell a lot more than ammo with impulse purchases. Just a thought...Kim

14. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Kim, My observation is that 'gun stores' are over a barrel. Pre december prices on guns left little margin and were all swept off the racks-leaving empty stores with no product to sell. If they have camping crap to push it softens the blow but gun only shops have no cash flow now. Each time the cycle of panic occurs, it sucks down more dedicated retailers.

15. jmunsell

yay I found a keg of powder.

16. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Probably not going to get much better any time soon. I know several Wally World managers and they tell me that W/M says it will take up to 6 mo. to get most of the back orders filled(and that is when supply increases again)! Most Ammo companies are runnin g 24/7 try to fill orders ,but are consentrating on the military and the insane HLS order for 2 BILLION rnds. ! Restocking of supplies such as shot, primers, and powder are way behind and it will take months to restock, when supplies strt flowing agin. Plus word on the street is the EPA will put the squeeze on lead production (which I don't doubt)! Until we can get the liberal anti--MORONS out of office it will be tight!

17. BamBam2K

BamBam2K Member

A few days ago my wife sent me to the local WM for a few groceries, and naturally i first headed to the sporting goods to check for ammo and check out the gun case. There was exactly 2 shotguns and 3 rifles. While i was standing there the sporting goods manager asks if he could help me, i said you gonna get any guns in anytime soon? He said they were coming in very slowly, but that he had gotten 2 colt 5.56's in that morning. The manager then proceeds to tell me this story: There were 2 guys hanging around the department half the morning, and one of them finally ask the manager "did you get any colts in today?" The manager said "yeah they just came in", and sold both guns to these fellas. I asked the manager how the colts were delivered? He said UPS delivery and then got a funny look on his face and i said "well now you know how those 2 guys knew you had gotten in those colts?" He said what? I told him that the UPS delivery guy probably called his buddies and tipped them about the colts. Getting tough to find a gun there, wonder if i know anyone that works at Fedex....HHMMMMM

18. jmunsell

They dropped the bill to ban assault weapons in the Senate will this slow the frenzy??

19. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Wow, you guys have seen a walmart that sells guns and ammo? im near CHI-TOWN, and all of the walmarts i see in cook county no longer sell guns and ammo,
    I didnt know ANY walmart sold them, as wallyworld has the one main office that over-see's all.

well i guess i should have known that the local democraps are "keeping me safe" like bloomberg!

20. jmunsell

Even if it would of went through the senate the house republicans would stop it. Piers Morgan always says on his show that the majority of people want stronger laws but when I talk to people in public about it I see no one that wants it to change. Most of the deaths, the majority, due to guns are criminals killing criminals anyway. Good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.