1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When will MTA make it fair for all!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DC, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DC

DC TS Member

Whats the deal with being able to control Pat trap banks??? Why not have a daily draw?? Just thought if MO would let everyone shoot on a pat trap bank once and awhile more might come and it would be fair to all involved, like all other major shoots now!

2. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

DC,You are pretty much right.
    Sure would not hurt to buy a little gravel once in a while.

Bo

3. Lyle

Lyle Member

Agreed.

4. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Was there a couple of years ago. Long drive to shoot really bad targets on banks 1-5. Talked with shoot management about drawing banks-they said no, we don't want to give up control and money from presquading. I have not returned and won't until they make it fair. Too many other good places to shoot. The people that speak highly of this shoot are the ones who shoot on the pats and know how to play the squading games.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Go to your Delegate with a signed petition. He should be able to get something done...if he/she is willing!

Curt - Delaware

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If all competitors are not being treated the same, then the rules are being broken. HMB

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

This type of thread really gets me going, When a shooter complains about the targets what I here is "I need another excuse to miss." I have shot Skeet, for many years and just took up Trap and both disciplines complain about target settings. My problem is that the deviation of the targets from being perfect is so minimal that this should not affect the shooters ability to break the target. Case in point I shot a big skeet shoot in St. Louis several years ago. The targets where poor at best, but I shot great scores mostly because I paid attention. Unless that machine is breaking excessive targets which shoot management would be stupid not to fix and as long as the target is close to legal there is no reason not to shoot. If you want targets on a string then build you own trap house and stay home.

Ronbo

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I try not to piss and moan too much about stuff but I'm going to have to agree with y'all on this one.

I have only shot there once as a disclaimer, but not knowing how things worked I really was out of the loop... Was wondering why there were so many short squads and as it turns out, it was because nobody wants to shoot on a lot of the banks... I signed up not knowing this and ended up not shooting on a full squad the whole week, shot the handicap championship on a two man squad and the doubles championship alone... Not fun.

My opinion is that at big shoots bank assignment should be random, or if there are Pat Traps and hand-set targets, everyone should get one of each.

9. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Ronbo, I may be wrong,but to me you get better birds with Pat traps and I seem to be able to pick the bird up faster.
    Must be something to them everyone wants them.

Bo

10. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

I have been there twice-there is a difference. I voiced my opinion in proper fashion to the shoot director and he didn't seem to disagree but also didn't plan on doing anything about it. I suggested a random draw bank system and he answered "that is not going to happen". I have more places to shoot than time so I shoot where they care. No big deal, Roger

11. mobear

mobear Member

Just out of curiosity, what is their excuse for not having pat traps in all of their houses?

12. mobear

mobear Member

we have 40 traps plus the practice traps at Michigan, and they are all pat traps, and Missouria appears to have about the same amount of shoots, and I think they get bigger shooter numbers.

Dan

13. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Its all too easy to pre-squad, and the girls at the squading desk will advise you about the trap locations not equiped with Pats. I see no merit in this denigration of the MTA. Last years fall caps had the best target setting, and the nicest weather anyone has ever enjoyed at this shoot.

Recommendation.....don't squad on 1 - 5, squad on one of the other 40 traps.

maltzie

14. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

You won't see me there (or anywhere) anymore.

I am done with this game beyond pure recreation for things like posted in this thread.

Between unfair shoot management, a worthless handicap system, and blatent sandbagging, I am keeping my money instead of donating to the same 6 faces on the cover of Trap and Field every month.

I'll be spending my money playing a real game -- GOLF.

15. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

The best way to avoid short squads at the Mo. shoots is to squad on the pat traps. You pretty much have to pre-squad for the whole shoot to shoot on the pat traps.

My experience,

ed.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It's been my observation that random squadding would fix a lot of the fairness problems with the sport of Trapshooting. Will it ever happen? I ain't holdin' my breath-----

John C. Saubak

17. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

As a board member for the Ohio Trap Ass. I was in favor of going to 4 traps and random banking draw each morning for the 2007 Ohio State Shoot, to make it the most fair. Was told that we couldn't live without the money from pre squading. Registered Shooting needs to get back to being about competition not registered practice. Oh well maybe next year.

Brad Dysinger

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

OH HELL

I just signed up for Kay Ohey's class at Mason. Paid in full too!

I was planning on shooting the Great Lakes Grand. Now I hear all this stuff about the shoot being 'unfair' and games being played with pre-squadding. What dirty rotten scoundrels!!

But I am going to fool those guys. I am going to shoot targets only and I will have a BLAST.

It is nice to be so naive that this kind of "crap" does not get in the way of having a good time. So unless the targets are awful, I will go there with the right attitude and leave the same way. Hopefully I will get to meet some of the characters from this website and make some new friends.

In the end, shoot management knows (or should know) they are in the "entertainment business". If people have fun, they will return - and they will spread the good word and that will draw more people next year. Management will listen and act on valid concerns or see attendance drop.

Don

19. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Many big shoots allow presquading and draw for banks. Michigan does it, San Antonio does it, Silver Dollar does it.

The key, if the club wants to preserve the presquad revenue, is to enforce the rule that says you have to take the first available position if you pull a post after the banks have been drawn. I see this rule in many programs, although I don't have any idea if it's enforced with any regularity. I've heard that people will go to the squad window and if they don't get a bank they want they will get out of line and come back in 15 or 30 minutes, until they do get what they want.

Presquading is a huge headache saver in my opinion.

Scott

20. mobear

mobear Member

dverna,

The mta that is being reffered to is missouri, not michgan.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.