1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When/Where is the "Grand"?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pyrdek, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

When/Where is the

Yes, I know that the Grand is going on right now in Sparta but if I would have relied on the information sent to ATA members in my area, my question would be a valid one.

So far, I have not received nor even seen the program that was typically mailed to all members a month or two before the event. If fact I have not even heard of a program having been received by any member of the clubs in my area (NW Pennsylvania). Usually someone would bring their program out to the club or at least be talking about it.

This brings up a few questions, has the ATA implemented a cost cutting program and decided to not send out programs to all members? or is it only sending to those that attended the Grand last year or maybe since it moved to Illinois? or only to those that requested one? or only to members within a certain distance from Sparta? Or only those that have already registered a pre-determined number of targets in the current year or past couple of years? Or did the ATA lose the addresses for a portion of their membership?

Or did whoever the ATA contracted with to produce and/or distribute the program fail to perform the job? Or did the U.S. Postal Service fail to deliver?

I would have thought that trying to promote the Grand would be a high priority, especially when the ATA and Illinois would stand to gain from increased attendance. NOT keeping the channels of communication open not only serve to reduce the possibility of someone attending but can have the compounding effect of reinforcing the "forgotten" members attitude that the ATA doesn't really care.

Neil or any other delegates or officers, do you have any input on what happened or didn't happen and why?

Joe P.

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

When/Where is the

It may be affected by the amount of registerd targets shot in the past year,,,maybe ,,,dont know for sure,,,,but while at the ATA East Zone,,,was told by many that they did not recive the program

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

When/Where is the

Have no idea, but...

How many members in the ATA and the cost to pre-pair and mail?

30,000 members, 40,000 members?

US postage rates have gone through the roof in recent years... The cost to mail to Canadian members alone would break most budgets.

With raising cost, shoot flyers need to be a thing of the past unless funded by sponsors. If not, they add to the expense of holding a shoot and that means higher shoot fees or cutting back in other areas.

The ATA does email notices, post shoot information to there site, and also information can be made available on talk boards, such as this. Various shooting magazines mention the Grand and do stories on same.

Many clubs have already went this route, to include club newsletters.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

When/Where is the

Joe Potosky,

I understand fully what you are saying, and, to a point, I can agree with the cost factor. I make up a small book just for our League's annual banquet and I can see where the costs have risen.

On the other hand, there is advertising in the book, at least in past years there was. That could reduce, or if enough revenue was generated, even eliminate the cost of production. Postage costs have increased but so has everything else. A few years ago even the ATA raised the dues for membership. If enough revenue was generated by ad sales, the book could even, possibly, become a profit generating center.

From a "Keep the thought Alive in your mind!" aspect, there is nothing like taking the book with you. You could look at it when having breakfast, or relaxing in the evening, or even take it with you when you are using the ceramic seat in the "Library". Even just sitting there on the desk or table you may subconsciously note its presence. Computer generated advertising works well for the quick transfer of information but is far less effective in generating long term memory of information

If the ATA did indeed, decide to cut back the mailings, it would have been a good idea to let the members know BEFORE implementing the change. It appears that there was a mailing to some areas but not others.

One thing I did not consider, and I do not know if it is relevant or not to this situation, was the resignation of Stacey from the ATA staff. I know she was involved in promotion and I wonder if her leaving a few months back put the booklet process into a bit of disarray.

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

When/Where is the

I just noted this message from Neil Winston, on a post earlier. I had pretty much ignored that post when I took a look at the last several entries and saw that it seemed to be about Canadian members having problems bringing their shotguns into the U.S..

I have copied Neil's message in that post and listed it here.

*** Begin copied text ***

We've always sent programs to everyone, at great cost to the 80% of our members who won't come this year. Western VP Bruce Reed, Stacey Hodkey, and I came up with a list cutting mailing in half based on various criteria, and ran a test to see how it would have worked in 2007. Only about three dozen 2007 attendees wouldn't have gotten one. Sure enough, this year only a handful have called the office about getting one (or not) and they were sent one the same day.

It's available on the website; you can get one by calling, likewise if you come to Sparta.

This is an example of the "running the ATA like a business" so many advocate. My own opinion is that it worked better than any first attempt could be asked to do; it will be tweaked next year based on this year's results.

Neil

*** end copied text ***

This could also serve to illustrate the failure that have to be considered when using computers/internet as a primary or sole means of posting and retaining information that may be needed over several months. The term I hear used for this is Internet Information Overload.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

When/Where is the

pyrdek I am not trying to be negative here but I have only shot about 1000 ATA targets total in about the last 5 years(due mostly to personal problems)and I received a Grand program.

At any rate this is the computer age so I have included a link to the program on line in the Website address line above the program is in pdf formate(Abode
    reader) and if you wish you amplify out to 200% so you don't even need your glasses. I know I can't read this idiot box with out my glasses unless I amplify it a bit.(I won't say how much)

Bob Lawless

7. dshot

dshot Member

When/Where is the

It must to have been sent to people that requested it, I have been to all the grands at Sparta and I did not receice a program nor did the 3 other shooters that go with me every year receice one

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

When/Where is the

I have a 40 yr pin for GAH attendence, I received my program on 7-28 and the pre-squad dead line was 7-31. This is not cost cutting so much as it appears to be poor planning. Either the program was not in the printers hands in timely fashion or the printer was too slow.

9. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

When/Where is the

I did not recieve a program, I live just north of Kansas City, went to the grand last year, went to the US Open last year and this year, shot 10800 registered targets last year and about 7000 this year, I also had the second highest combined average in the state. SO I have no idea what kind of a plan they used to cut the mailings. I also spoke with several other people around KC that did not get a program

10. 100straight

100straight Member

When/Where is the

I've had mine for quite a while. I just went to the ATA website and downloaded it. You can do the same at the link above.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

When/Where is the

And, what was their answer at ATA HQ when you asked the questions months ago???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.