1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When were you the best?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

2. targetshooter

targetshooter Member

when i quit trying to win all the time and just started having fun, remember its a game enjoy it,there is no magic in the gun it is all you shoot and have fun develop your own style and technique start having fun and you start winning then its fun,if that makes sense

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

David,There are too many variables for you to get the answer I think you are searching for.If you want to shoot better,take lessons from a real Pro and attend as many Registered shoots as possible....SMOKIT

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In my 40's. Seems like in my 40's I was fast (eyes/hand reflex)) and could control my emotions a little better (concentrate), And of course, my eyes had not gone south at that time..

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

From my experience, The 20's through the the 50's when your reflexes & eyes are at their peak produced my best shooting. At age 78, I am starting to wind down. Some shooters remain excellent through their 70's & 80's. The health factor plays a big part.
    1OT

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You're the best when you don't have the money to shoot and when you finally have the extra bucks it's too late!!

7. davidjayuden

In motorcycle racing we had a saying that "the older I get, the faster I was"...
    dju

8. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

When ( now ) that I actually have a gun that fits I have shot more 25s in the past year then the last 30 years of shooting

Jim

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It seems like the peak performance age in trap shooting can vary widely but I'd guess that, on average, it's probably about 10-12 years ater you started, or your mid-30s -- which ever came first. But as 1oldtimer said, many older shooters are still amazingly good.

-Gary

PS: Did someone say "motorcycle racing sayings"? How about, "I saw God so many times I started using him as a brake marker." Classic, LOL.

10. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

When I got serious about shooting I shot about 23,000 targets in one year. Thats total practice and registered. I shot good those couple years. BUT, I shot better the next couple years when I backed of to about 15 - 17 thousand targets a year.

11. davidjayuden

23K in one year? 442 per week, or 63/day. Not as bad is it initially sounded, especially if you are far enough south to shoot year around.
    dju

12. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

When I could see.

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

User 1 is onto it. I suspect the correct answer to this question probably is some variation of: "During the time in my life when I had the most fire in the belly for trapshooting."

Vision, aches and pains, pacemakers, etc...I'm sure all take their toll. But a lot of those same guys are also switching guns every year, screwing around and just never really putting a serious effort into it, either.

You show me somebody who is over the age of 60, and has luxurious photo spreads of a different high-grade gun for sale every 6 months, making room for the next "magic" shooting iron...and I'll show you someone whose trapshooting career is over, except for the screwing around, they just may or may not know it. They are "enjoying life," and that's a good thing...but don't ever confuse that with "being the best in Trapshooting," even if the standard of comparison is only relative to your own lifetime.

On the other hand, there are a good number of older guys out there, still making major additions to their trophy collection...and I don't mean just category wins, either. I seem to recall Kay and Leo were well into the gray years when they added the most recent big, shiny trinkets to their collections.

Fire in the belly. Pure and simple. The next victory has to be beckoning to you, more strongly than the bottle of wine back home or the hunting dog or the grandkid this-or-that or whatever-it-is that you feel relieved to go back to "after the shoot is over."

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've got fire in the belly----It's called acid reflux. Does that count? But then again, I think I really enjoy the bottle of wine and and messing around with the guns scenario.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Next year. I'd thought it was gonna' be THIS year.........but it wasn't.

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Back in '92-'93...I was AA singles....carried a .9440 average in doubles....didn't embarrass myself shooting handicap. My knees were tolerable and my back wasn't the piece of junk it is now....oh, for the good ol' days....

Ron Burr

17. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I have found that I have more desire to shoot registered targets now that I do not practice on a regular basis.

When I used to shoot 1,000's of practice targets, I got burned out before the end of the season.

Iknow that doesn't make a lot of sense, but it works for me.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Before the price of shot and fuel tripled. I can't see burning up my retirement on targets these days.

19. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Toby sings the truth.
    I hope my best is yet to come.
    Doug Allison

20. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

When I was as lot younger,had good reflexes, and good eyesight! in other words, A LONG TIME AGO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.