1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When trap shooters go hunting... ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

When trap shooters go upland game hunting do they use tighter chokes than non trap shooters ?

Do many trap shooters use full choke for pheasants ?

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Birds over dogs, I use skeet chokes. Bill

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That smokeball of feathers means you sill be eating some lead later.

HM

4. Maurice

Maurice Member

Improved Cylinder & Modified. Maurice ( The Brit.)

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Browning Invector IM which measures .020 constriction for everything ducks, geese, and pheasants.

6. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I have hunted SD for over 50 years. I still like mod. 1st barrel and full
    for 2nd. I hunt with pointing dogs, but many flush wild at long range rather
    than hold for a point. For every bird that gets up at 20yd there are 5 at
    40yd. Wait a little on the close birds. Gary Owen

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Quarry, cover type, time of year, weather conditions, plus other varables make my choice. Of course its always the wrong choice and day in and day out, modified ain't bad. I use to use skeet11 chokings alot.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I use a mod choke and if the bird is too close, I just wait until he gets further away. That's for pheasants.

For quail I prefer a cylinder bore or IC. Most quail here are alongside old logging roads and you have to get on them in a real hurry. At least where I hunt.

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

here is something to think about--the average pheasant shot at, is 35+ yds(?), on a going away bird,where are most hit (POI)?---in the butt!!--thats why i shoot a beatup trapgun w/ mod choke, to shoot a lil higher!---now if you are over good pointing dogs-yes open it up!! & a flat shooting gun works well!!

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

do trapshooters while hunting-yell "pull" as the birds rise?????

11. fly

fly Active Member

if they miss, do they blame the dog?

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ya gotta watch all them targets shooters in the fields!! Their bang reload bang habits die hard as they walk around with their safety off!! Ya gotta ask and look for the surprise on their mugs as they put the gun on safe! Very true!

Hap

13. shootsatem

shootsatem TS Member

Their call is "Bird" as opposed to "Pull".....

14. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Having been a hunter long before a trapshooter I and those who hunted with me used improve cylinder for quail and full for pheasant. For duck and goose we always used full. Most of the guns were fixed choke back then--50 years ago. Most of the hunters who were in the group my Dad and I hunted with had owned their hunting guns for years also so by now those arms would be 60 or plus years old. My Dad and one uncle had more than one barrel for their auto loader Brownings they were the only ones who could change chokes in the middle of the day if we spent the morning in a duck blind and hunted quail in the afternoons. Dan

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

For Quail I like skeet to IC,Chukar = mod to full, pheasants depends on the day and the place but mod is a good first choice.

Now thats in a perfect world, in this world I frequently use a full choke M42 for quail (cause that is what it has) and I can't seem to leave my full choked M37 16 guage in the closet either so it tends to hit the birds a bit harder than necessary as well.

I also had a great afternoon hunting roosters with my trap gun set up SBT. It was something of challenge between me and a friend with the thought being we wouldn't do so well. Turns out we both limited in about the same time as usual. A lot to be said for making your one shot count.

16. WCR

WCR TS Member

I don't hunt anymore but when I did it was for quail with a Fox side by side with 28" barrel full and full in 410 ga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.