1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

when to toss

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Each time I reload a hull - (I only load Remington STS Green or Nitro Gold empties), I put a black felt tip "tick" mark on the base of the hull - either before or after the reloading operation. When there are 6 tick marks, the hull goes into the "load once more and pitch" box. The final load is a 1 oz. of #8s for practice or use in an autoloader to shoot skeet or sporting clays....let them fly. No scientific reason just 6 - 7 loads seems enough. Regards, Ed

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Depending on the powder, some powders burn up a hull. When all I used was Hodgdons Tite group, and gun club hulls, I would load until one of the places where the shell crimps would split. That was the only damage I ever saw. When I was using alliant powder, it must have burned hotter, because I would often get some side splits before or about the same time as the mouth spliting. I hardly ever loaded any other hull than green or gold Remingtons, I even loaded those black throw away remingtons with great success.

3. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

If Leo III says to me "Will we shoot for it or toss?"...that's when I'm gonna say "Toss". Cheers-Graham.

4. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I load until the start to split or there are severe burn marks on the shell from a semi-auto

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I toss any AA hull (CF or 2-piece) after 4 reloads because some of them start to leak around the primer after 4. Winchester or Federal primers... it doesn't matter. I find heavy soot rings on the receiver around the firing pin and I know that they're blowing trash into my action. All the hulls in a box stay together for life so when a few leak they all go.

Remington hulls go for 7 reloads...period. By that number, the crimps are getting brittle. As easy as they are to come by, there's no reason to go further.

MK

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I load STS/GC hulls until the mouth looses elasticity and/or pin holes start forming at the crimp fold. I don't keep records of the number of loadings or keep the hulls in specific lots but I would guess I get about 8 loadings out of these hulls.

Also if I see a reload with a little dark residue around the primer pocket I will let that one fly on the next firing regardless of plastic quality.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Once is enough. HMB

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I reload new AA hulls exclusively and pitch them after 3 reloads.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I try to use once or twice fired for registered. I doubt it really matters for Singles or Doubles, but it is one less thing for my pea brain to worry about.

For practice loads, I load Top Guns once. Plastic base wad hulls get used until I see a split at the crimp folds. Hull life remains an mystery as I am too lazy to keep track.

Don Verna

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

These are good for at least one maybe two more loadings.

Jim

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Gun%20stuff/?action=view&current=100_0394.jpg" target="_blank"> 100_0394.jpg </a>

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nice hull Jim, with a soldering iron you can melt that plastic and repair the split. No sense letting a good hull go to waste. HMB

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

No need for all that. Long as it will hold the powder and shot it's good to go.

Jim

13. philk

philk Member

Another use for duct tape, get another 3-4 loadings off of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.