1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When to switch to 7 1/2's

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BDodd, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The standing mantra is to make the switch around 25 yards. But, there are many, many fine shooters using light 8s all the way back to 27 yards. Whatever you're confident in would be the best test IMHO....Bob Dodd

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Ditto what Sir Dodd said. Myself I use 8s for everything.

Jim

3. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I use 8s for everything too, except when it is very windy.

4. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

Hey Bob , hope the recovery is going well . Last weekend at the Cottage Grove sportingclay's shoot I took your advice and use'd #9 on the the short stuff and #71/2 long shots . Shot my best score thank's Jay

5. oz

oz Active Member

1oz of 7 1/2's all the time. oz

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jay, yes, it's doing well enough for me to be going nuts with the "don't-remove-soft wrap" on the arm - worse than a danged cast. But, it's migrated enough that I'm typing again. 9s? Geez, who'd do something silly like that? I must tell you that if I had just one load for all purposes it would be the 1 oz of 8s with maybe different velocities for use, however, those weenie loads were designed for skeet for when I had a good venue for that game and I found it so effective on close in birds of trap and sporting that I can't stop using it. Glad it performed for you. I hope the arm will permit me to shoot the last two shoots; May in C.Grove and Florence. Perhaps we can squad together if I'm up to it.....Bob Dodd

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2 from the 16 to the 27. If that's enough to break 'em at the 27, you aren't going to drop birds at the 16 because you're using #7 1/2 rather than #8.

Michael

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

geeez, go to 7 1/2s if you shoot from the 35 yard line, or if your muzzle velocity is below 1000fps, or you are shooting at cold, damp or frozen bio targets in the winter. Otherwise use 8s.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Switch to 71/2's when, and if, you think you need to. I learned a very valuable lesson from an All American a few years ago. He told me to take a box of 3dr. 71/2's and a box of 3dr. 8's to the line and shoot a round of handicap with each one. He didn't advise me which he thought was better, rather he said to trust him, after I shot both rounds I would know which one performed the best for me. After the second round that day I am still shooting 71/2's and have not looked back. For me it's 11/8oz 71/2's for everything. 23/4dr for singles and doubles and 3dr. for handicaps....Just my experience...Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. midalake

midalake Banned User Banned

SWITCH NOW!!!! Shoot 7&1/2 for everything except your first shot in doubles. This is covered under rule #4786.......... It is for this reason I do not use #6.

GS

11. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Below freezing, from 25 yards and back, when you shooting in a strong wind, and whatever gives you confidence. Todd

12. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

More is better than bigger. Just shoot the 8s and don't even thing about it again. Must ammend, if Remington ever starts making targets again and you have to shoot them, use the 7 1/2s. Some of the bio degradable targets seem a bit tough. Also use 7 1/2s on them.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

8s are only for the first shot of doubles ask coach Leo.

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The time to switch to 7 1/2's is when you run out of 8's.

Buz

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I recommend that one switch from #8 shot to #7.5 shot when they believe the larger shot will do a better job. There seems to be a much greater difference between 7.5 and 8 shot in the shooters mind than at the target. Mental confidence in our equipment is important.

Pat Ireland

16. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

1 1/8 oz. 8's kicks harder than the same load of 7 1/2's.

17. BAP

BAP TS Member

I have shot 7 1/2 's for the last 20 years on all trap shots. This year I starting using 1 oz. on 16's and el 1 1/8 on handicap and doubles and my scores went up. It just depends on what you have confidence in. Bill

18. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If Wal-Mart is out of 8s buy the 7.5s. It makes no difference what you hit the target with or what you miss the target with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.