1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When to start new shooter??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jburger, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jburger

jburger TS Member

When should a person start a new shooter on handicap targets?? My wife is just getting started should she get comfy with the 16 and then move back?? Not much difference between the 16 and 20 or whatever just give me your 2 cents.

Thanks, jeremy

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If you can afford it I think it's good to expose a newby to all of the trapshooting disciplines. Practicing all of them can only make you better.

3. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

My daughter practiced either from the 16 or from the 25. This proved to be a difference when she started registering targets, as when she reached the further yardage, she was prepared for it.

4. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

My advice is to keep her shooting. As long as she likes it. You are right not to much of a difference between the two yardages. Just keep it fun!

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Make it realistic, 19 yards for starting HC. A good routine is 50 singles followed with 25 HC. There is a big difference between 16 and 19 yards for a new shooter, don't downplay that but rather use the increased difficulty level to work on the concept that trap shooting is a game of precision.

6. jburger

jburger TS Member

Oh let me tell ya she's hooked!! She's in love with this sport!! Thats exciting for me!!! First time she ever even picked up a shotgun she goes out there and breaks 19, I'm thinking ok beginners luck right. NO NO she goes back out there and breaks 3 more 19's. It's great having my wife ask me "honey when are we going back to the gun club?" I just hope I have enough bullets next time!!!

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well I have messed with HC at Cicero NY(on the 25 never shot any HC). The lil lady in my life has shot since she was 12 and she has shot state team all over. She tells me do what comes in time, so ask her when shes ready and start out on the 19 and make sure she stays interested!!!!!!! Cause when MOMMA is happy youll be happy!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.