1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

when to show up at your trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by miketmx, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Bob, I figure it takes about 12 to 15 minutes for a full squad to shoot 25 targets. If the squad is shooting a bank system it takes about 25 minutes to shoot 50 targets. How many traps are starting at the same time. A large shoot will have the starting squads and traps posted on a bulletin board and each trap field should have a small sign showing the squad number of the squad on deck.

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Depending on how many traps or "banks" are used you can expect about 15 min. to shoot a 25 bird (sub) event. Shoot management will help you figure out which wave you are shooting in. I try to get to my trap a squad or two early so I have time to watch some targets. Hope this helps. Keep your eyes open and when all else fails I always ask someone! (LOL)

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. grammie

grammie TS Member

Generally speaking,,,,,The good ole boy crowd will have already filled the prime shooting time squads and will be sitting playing cards or having a couple of stiff ones if they are in an R.V....

If its a singles event,,,it will be led off by the D,C, shooters,,,this is done because its probably the only squads open,,,,If its a handicap,,the early squads will already be filled,,leaving only the later squads to shoot with the waning sun...

Most of the time,,,,if you are one of the good ole boy crowd and your're late to your squad,,,,management will generally hold up the entire shoot waiting for one person,,,and when they finally don't come,,,management will send a golf cart to retrieve them from the card game....

Now then,,,,when you go to a club that has 15 to 20 traps but your're only using one bank of four for the 8 squads that show up to shoot registered,,,it only takes one full day to shoot three events,,,,they keep all the workers on the time clock though,,have a one or two hour lunch break,,and when there is a break in the gin game,,maybe a squad will take the line to get things started,,and inside the clubhouse,,the good ole boys will be talking about the reasons that clubs can't make any money these days,,,,,,and they say things like--------"If we had name tags,,we would keep more shooters in our ranks,,,and keep them from quitting after the first year",,And other bits of wisdom they keep and share only among themselves......

Never,,,ever,,,,suggest ways to run things on a timely basis or a profitable one either,,,,You will find that the good ole boys have the brighest,quickest,business minds you will ever encounter,,,and they already know by instinct what to say NO too!!! It is far easier to deal the cards,,,then to act!!!!!!

AKA Grammie..........

AKA Grammie...........

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Grammie, seriously, have you EVER been involved in the management or the operation of a trap club?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. grammie

grammie TS Member

Bob Finger:

That was inner workings of a small,local shoot!!! It is a diffeerant story at places like Kingsburg California,,Spanish Fork,Utah,,Vegas,,Mo,,places like that,,when they put on some of their bigger shoots....

Will the handicapper/classifier put me in AA because of my skeet ability???? If he has any brains at all he would put you in at least Class A,,,,I say this because I shot with an All-American in the "Sporting Clays" area of shooting,,,She did allright in singles,,but had minor problems at handicap,,after shooting for a solid 3 weeks in the Arizona Chain,,,she improved QUICK!!

But,,,,,We have a rule about "Known Ability",,,(rarely used,,forgotten about)Skeet Shooting as an All-American is not the easiest thing to achieve,,,,So,,obviously you can shoot,,,it depends on the person doing the "look'un",,,You'll probably shoot in B class at 20.5yds,,,and no questions asked....probably!!!!

AKA Grammie.....

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Most shoots have an "on deck" board somewhere to let you know it's time.

Most shoots will have a squad hustler making sure the next squad is ready.

Unless you're in Podunk Flats.

HM

7. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

It helps if the scorer keeps the squad numbers current on the back of the chairs. Sometimes it gives you a little "surprise" when they have forgotten to change the numbers and then all of a sudden, Wam, they jump way up and you have no time!!............Uncle Sam, Pa.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Finger, I hope you don't think Grammie is the resident Guru for all trapshooters.

Once in a while he spouts something worth reading, but you have to learn to separate the chaff from the wheat while doing so.

It really isn't to hard to do.

Just remember, his experiences may be different than other trapshooters.

Hauxfan!

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'm usually there 15-30 mintues early....gives me time to relax, study the target presentation and just chill and give my knees a rest before showtime.

10. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I usually leave that to my squadmates. They will appear and inform me that I had better shut up and get to the trap, or they will start without me !! The very idea; I usually shoot lead-off and they can't start without me...LOL...merlyn...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.