1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When to set a release

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gunner x, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Should a shooter with a release trigger, set it, before or after he/she has
    mounted the gun. What is the correct procedure and or technique?

Thanks for Sharing,
    Gunnerx

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

GunnerX..... Pat has it right. Each release shooter must find out where it is the most comfortable, for them, to set the trigger. When you set it is not important. What is important is that you set it safely and that you have COMPLETE CONTROL over the trigger once it's set.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Pat and Dan have it right. That's it in a nutshell.

Easystreet

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I set mine as I start to bring my gun up for the mount, I don't know why, but it seems to work the best for me.

tony

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I shoot both pull and release triggers. What I've found with my release, when it's released, is way more important to me than when I set it! :) Hap

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I don't shoot a release trigger (at least not yet) but intuitively, it seems to me that it would inherently unsafe to set the trigger before the gun is mounted and firmly pointed downrange. A distraction, or something occuring before mounting seems to me that it would be too easy to accidently release the trigger. I do shoot with several who use release triggers, and all of them get ready, mount the gun, set the trigger, then call for the target. As I said, I don't use a release, so this is just my view of it.

Jim R

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jim, I'm a release user who agrees with you. I know a couple of shooters who set their releases before or during their gun mount and let's just say that we occasionally refer to them as gopher slayers.

Ed

8. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Ed

Thanks for confirming what my intuition on release triggers seems to tell me. Also, thanks for the information and advice you provide regularly through Shotgun Sports. I have gotten many good tips, advice and just overall enjoyment reading your column, probably my favorite part of the magazine.

Jim R

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I shoot a release. Think of it this way: Mounting gun: Pre-Stage. Setting release: Stage. Calling "Pull": Turning the light green.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I mount the gun and as I am lowering my head to the stock I set the release just before my cheek hits the stock. I then check site picture and call for the bird.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

JimR and Ave' ED. I am a "Gopher slayer". and a damn good one I might add.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I also shoot a release and experience has shown me that it is not safe to set the trigger until the gun is mounted. Release triggers wear just like any other mechanical device and when they reach a certain point, they are prone to occasionally "pull through". This means that they discharge when set, not released. It happened to me several times. Fortunately, the gun was mounted and thus pointed down range. The fact that it happened once should be enough to prove that safety DEMANDS that the gun be mounted.

13. Easystreet

Birdogs,

Personally, I always have the gun mounted to my shoulder before setting the release trigger, but I don't agree that safety DEMANDS that the gun be mounted first as you claim.

As long as the gun is pointed downrange, what does it matter if you have the gun butt against your shoulder? Safety is about where the MUZZLE is pointed, not about where the butt end of the gun is pointed.

Easystreet

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

It makes no difference when you set the trigger as long as it is pointed down range at all times . Birdogs not all release triggers will or can pull through . Most that do are after market triggers made from a stock trigger that was never to be made release . To the point most release trigger shooters set after the mount .

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I set the release when I'm sure the gun mount is totally correct and only then do I switch my thoughts to setting the trigger, letting my eyes stabilize, and call for the bird...

Boy, do I hate broken birds, no birds, anything that requires me to open my gun.....

Jim

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Not to pick on anyone but Jim brings up an interesting scenario. What do you guys who set your releases before the gun is mounted do when the mount doesn't feel right? Hang onto the trigger while you fidget around remounting the gun? Somehow that doesn't sound like a good system.

Ed

17. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Ed,......Good point. That is how I set mine. My stock fits perfectly, and my mount is precise, and as soon as I mount my gun, I set the trigger, and call for the bird. Worries me when I see people "jigglin" their gun around trying to "find" the right spot before they set their trigger. But you don't always know who on your squad, has a release, and who does not. Most shooters I know use same method I do, "MOST" shooters that is...........Rob

18. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Ed, My shooting buddy sets the trigger before closing and mounting the gun. Says it's the only way he can do it. Eliminates some triggers for him as they all will not set with the action open.

19. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have seen more accidental discharges from people with pull triggers on the line than people with release triggers, regardless of when the trigger is set.

the other day I was on the line next to a guy on station 5 who has been shooting for over 35 years, he popped one off with a pull trigger before the first bird was called for by the squad leader, I asked if he switched to a release, he said no, just took too much slack out of trigger.

Tuesday night league another shooter on my squad, mounted his gun, didn't like the mount remounted and fired before calling for the bird, using a pull trigger, he has been shooting for around 10 years.

as stated before, it's more important to worry about gun safety and where the gun is pointed when on the line.

tony

20. Easystreet

Quote: "the other day I was on the line next to a guy on station 5 who has been shooting for over 35 years, he popped one off with a pull trigger before the first bird was called for by the squad leader, I asked if he switched to a release, he said no, just took too much slack out of trigger."

Jeez, what the h*ll was he doing with a closed gun and finger on the trigger when there were still 4 shooters to shoot before him? I think I would find another squad to shoot with that didn't include this shooter.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.