1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When to say 'Ready'

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by henrims, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henrims

henrims Member

In our local league it is typical for the scorekeeper to say 'Ready' before we take our last shot and move to the next post.
    When is the correct time to say 'Ready'?

Mike

2. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Some of the scorekeepers do this at our club also. Never experienced this before. Kind of dirupts the flow. Calling Lost or Dead and Change, at the end, should suffice!

Gene

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

At most leagues and many registered shoots in my area, the scorekeeper will call "ready" or "end" after the 1st shooter fires his 5th shot on ea. station. Many times, the squad will ask them not to do this and they honor our request. The thing that pisses me off the most is the guy who invented "READY" when he got to post 1 after finishing post 5. A simple nod of the head to the leadoff shooter was how I learned many years ago and it still works. Larry Evans

4. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

Never

5. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Most clubs in Western Pa say "ready one" or "one out" after the first shooter fires his 5th shot. We don't count real well here. Doesn't seem to bother me. Sort of miss it when they don't.

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For those who keep their shells in a box on their hip it's not needed. For those who just dump the shells in a pouch it might be. Personally I prefer the "end" call to be after the #1 shooter fires his 5th shot on a post as that would seem to eliminate having someone put the 6th shell in their gun and then have to remove it when they move.

Eric

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I personally do not care for the scorer to say anything after the lead off shooter has shot his last shell at a post. When the scorer says anything after a shooter fires, I think he might have said lost. I can get words like ready and lost mixed up.

In fact, it is not difficult to get me mixed up. A couple of times when I started on post two, and the lead off shooter completed the rounds on his post, the scorer called ready and I thought he was talking to me. I turned to the scorer and said "yes, I am ready".

When I score, I simply call move after the last shooter has shot his last target on his post.

Pat Ireland

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If there is no ready call I have to watch the lead shooter so I don't stick a shell in when I shouldn't. This is not a problem if I am the 5th shooter, th move call tells me not to load.

I have no problem with calling ready if it's done properly. The instant the gun is fired is the time. It should not disrupt anything, as it takes a couple seconds for the voice puller and trap to reset.

If it's done that way and still bothers someone, that's just way too anal retentive, they need help.

If there are no ready calls I try to use shell carriers that let me count or a double pocket vest so I can put 5 in separately

So I have no preference.

HM

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Never hear it anymore. Was real popular in the early '90s.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

When I pull for squads I give a "ready" immediately after the 1st shooter fires his/her 5th shell. I actually like the command. At one time I shot with a shell box holder and as was said above, could count the shells myself.

Maybe 10 years ago an old timer recommended I dump my shells into a pouch and add a handful more so I could not count them - in this way I would focus only on the target at hand and to be honest, when I don't get a clear "ready", I have inadvertently loaded a fair share of shell #6.

Jay Spitz

11. Don S

Don S Member

Very common in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin. It is common practice for the # 2 shooter to request no ready calls if he does not want them.

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

It's common in NY. It's also unnecessary. If done timely, there is no harm, but often the END or READY is called late just as the next shooter is about to call for the target.

In my opinion, the negatives outweigh the positives. It's not that hard to keep track of 5 shots.

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I HATE the "ready" call or what ever is said if I am the number 2 shooter. It really disturbes me. I'm ready to shoot and the scorekeeper calls ready. Takes my mind off shooting. Some places do it and some don't. The people in PA tend to do it more then other states. Maybe they need to learn to count or whatever. Best if nothing is said. Most of us can count to at least 5 on one hand. My $02 cents worth motordoc

14. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

This pratice goes back a long time. It's sort of a safety issue. Alerts the squard leader its time to change so no one puts a shell it his gun.

15. Doug Sims

Doug Sims TS Member

Not done in Arizona.

Shoot Mgmt would ask a scorekeeper to not do it, if they had done it elsewhere.

Doug Sims

16. bgf

bgf Active Member

I first heard it in one of our night trap leagues...new scorer. I had no idea what he was referring to.

We call 'change' and the station scores after each move...that way if there is an error it will be caught before the next post.

I am so hard of hearing, I can't hear 'lost' when called.

Bernie

17. DocJim

DocJim Member

As said above it is the "rule" to encounter this practice in Western PA. Personally I favor it. I don't have to concentrate on the number of targets shot on this station and am thus free to concentrate fully on the next bird out. It also seems to me that it is a safety measure. It's easy for those shooting a break open gun to simply remove the shell before they move but if you shoot a semi-auto this can be problematic. I've seen lots of such people simply give up on getting it out and walk to the next station with a live shell in the gun.
    Jim G

18. oletymer

oletymer Member

I put 5 shells in the upper pocket of my vest per station. I do not have to worry about when the last shot per station is shot. The less the scorers says the better, including "lost".

19. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

NEVER! Its the squad leaders job to know when to move to the next post and not shoot again! He should have a box in his pouch and know when a row of shells is gone! Of course when the scores are read off by the puller everybody knows when to move.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

By the responses it must be a regional thing - but from a safety perspective, since we use it, we'll continue to use it. I think we're so socialized to it, when we don't hear it, that's when we notice it!

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.