1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When to rebuild

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joegriff, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joegriff

joegriff Member

I have 3 BT-99's that I bought used with the release lever centered on all three. I have been shooting these guns regularly for 4 or five years. Hot loads only (Potshooter). When is the right time to rebuild. The guns are not loose yet. I understand that there other ways to tighten one when they do loosen other than a rebuild. A big vise, hammer and punch. What do you think?

2. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

If the tang is sitting at 6:00 oclock or center its time. By not doing do can cost you more for damage or badly worn parts. You want the tang to be close to 5:00. You will have to take all the barrels that you have for the gun. Not only does he have to work on the reciever but the barrels to.

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

There are two ways most break-open guns get loose and worn.

One is the locking bolt. This is evidenced by the position of the top lever. The nearer the center of the tang (or to the left) the more worn the bolt (or in some cases the lugs on the bbl). Two things usually occur when the bolt is worn 1)With the bbls in the locked position in the receiver, you can feel movement. When movement occurs, the locking bolt is no longer applying pressure to the bbl, but just keeping it from falling open. 2)The lop lever will begin to jump during the shot. This again is because the bolt is not being held into the bbl lugs with any pressure. There is friction because of the angle of the two parts mating that keeps the blot secured.

On occassion, yes, damage can happen if the bolt does not stay secured in the bbl lugs. The reverse pressure on the top lever components is sometime sufficiant enough to cause a failure to some of the components. The BT-99 and all of the Perazzis are fine examples of that. The BT is an easy inexpensive fix, but the Perazzi will need a new top lever fitted and installed at approx $400.

If right now your BTs are not loose, installing a new top lever spring will give you maybe another year's worth of ensuring the top lever does not move with shooting.

The other loose spot is where the forend iron pivots on the receiver. While the gun is open 1/2 way, if you can feel any wobble in the joint, the gun is loose. Continuing to shoot it this way will probably not cause any damage, but is will continue to get "looser-faster".(????) This can be corrected, but PLEASE, do not use a punch, cold chisel, or hammer.

Any work involving the locking bolt will need all of the bbls. Reason being is each bbl will wear differently depending on how more often that bbl has been shot.

Doug Braker

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Doug, are all Perazzi top levers interchangable? Bulge

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

No. Most TM-1s are, but do need fitting. The MX styles differ because some have the top lever trip plunger located in the head of the top lever where as others have done away with that and have gone with the triangle shaped lever on the side. If we were to compare a current make and model to another of the same make and model, my guess is you would have a better than 50/50 chance it'll fit with a little tweaking.

Also, on ocassion, I've found some of the "heads" to be of a different thickness. With the top lever fitted properly into the receiver (cross pin matching the groove in the top lever stem) the head will be a little proud and stick up slightly from the crown of the receiver. Of course this can be corrected by working it down flush and rebluing, but you'll lose the engraving on top.

Most of the fitting of a Perazzi top lever comes from removing material from the underside of the head, not by recutting the retaining cross pin groove into a new spot.

Doug

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Doug, i can buy a new top lever for $125, is that a fair price?

7. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

What should i expect to pay to have a BT tightened up?

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I would guess that any Peraazi top lever for $125 is a good deal. A new one for an MX style gun is almost $300. Just be sure to check it over very well, especially around the little stem at the bottom and around the area that the firing pins pass through, for cracks. It may look new, but it could have been reblued.

Mikkeeh,

If you shop around, you may find that prices may differ. I charge $125 to rebuild the locking bolts, $125 to tighten the actions, and approx $35-$40 for all new springs.

On a rare occassion, rebuilding or even replacing the locking bolt will not do the trick to tighten up the lock. This is beacause the lugs are either too worn or the lugs have been filed on at some point. If this is the case, the lugs will need to be welded also.....another $125. This is especially on older BTs.

Doug

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

I installed the kit shown on the link below. It has all the parts you need except a new firing pin. They show out of stock right now but will get more. You get the kit for $69. Fitting the locking bolt takes some time but is not that hard to fit.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/C-012-3/RBDBT99

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Gundr, can you send me a PM? I would like to ask a question off site. Bulge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi rebulid at dougs gunshop