1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

When to rebuild the BT-99??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

For those of you out there that have ent thru the rebuild process on a BT-99, what were some of the indications that it was time?
  2. hmb

hmb Active Member

When action is closed the barrel has play. The position of the lever is center or left of center. HMB
  3. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

The point where the forearm iron pushes against the barrel lug will wear and cause "play" when the action is closed.
  4. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I was told many years ago that the strip of plastic you get when opening a pack is a good guage! close action on plastic strip ,make sure it is not twisted, if you can pull it out you need action work.The hard part is finding a smoker nowadays
  5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Active Member

Pull-it!

The position of the top lever is a reasonable wear indicator but not infallible.

My first break open target gun was a 20 ga. Citori skeet. I bought it new and still have it. Its had many tens of thousands of rounds thru it. The top lever is slightly left of center but it still locks up solid and there's no play.

My first break open trap gun was a BT-99. After countless shells had been run thru it, the top lever was still slightly right of center. It still locked up tight and there wasn't any visible play. However, on firing, the gun would pop open by itself. That was indicator enough for me.

sissy
  6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I use my older BT for games,registered etc. Trap guns are not built for The heavy game loads 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 mags which I have put through mine over the years. I noticed some looseness on the fore end and top lever going to the left with overall looseness. I dropped it off to Browning while at the Grand. Picked it up the next day. Its nearly as tight as a new one and they only charged me $30. Try that with your K or P gun. Clyde Doll
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.