1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHEN to rebuild a BT99 PLUS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

GUNSMITHS & FELLOW SHOOTERS ,

When is it time to rebuild a 99PLUS ? I'm NOT currently having a problem and I want to avoid a future problem , if I can . My gun locks up tight , but when you push the lever to the right it will fall open . My CITORI PLUS on the other hand is rather tight & you have to use some force to break it . I do shoot the 99 2 to 3 times a week & I would estimated 10,000 in the last 18 months maybe more . As I stated no problems so far but I was thinking about having a Smith here in Southern NJ rebuild it this winter .

Whats your thoughts folks , and what is involved ?

Thank you in advance for your time & help.

SOUP

2. soup

soup Member

TTT

3. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I have been shooting the same BT99 since new in 1970. All I have ever done is replace the firing pin twice, that's it. I estimate about that the gun has fired in excess of some 200k rounds. I take my time cleaning and I always get a little carried away with grease but my BT99 has no wiggles in it just nice smooth open and close. Never slam them shut either (if you plan to keep them a while). If the gun is giving you no trouble now and you take propper care of it it should shoot and shoot and shoot for a very long time.

J.F.

4. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

As it seems you are into preventative medicine. Put a bit of grease on the hinge pins of the reciever and the front of the reciever where it meets the fore end. I also put a film of grease on the sides of the barrel block. This will not only thighten up the gun a bit but prevent further wear in those areas. Don't forget to put just a touch of grease on the barrel lug where the fore arm locks on. This will make the fore arm latch last longer.
    Try this before you do more.
    Mark

5. soup

soup Member

6. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

you should consider rebuilding any o/u or single bbl trapgun when the top lever position is left of center when action is closed. With a browning, this indicates that your locking block is at full extention. It will either break the top latch or start popping open when fired soon after this condition is noticed. Some sooner than others. Todd

7. soup

soup Member

^^^

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Top lever left of center on a Perazzi is a broken top lever.. $281 part.. You want to change the locking bolt before it reaches center.. If there is no lockup.. the locking bolt flies back if the barrel springs open and usually breaks the top lever in short order.. I don't know about other shotguns..but I'll start looking to repair the locking bolt before it causes damage.. As far as falling open.. The forend lug needs adjusting.. On a Perazzi.. its a simple catch bolt $30.. They come in many sizes to adjust the pressure on the receiver..

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If this guy doesn't have your answer, there likely isn't one.

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If you just want to tighten up the opening of the gun (so thait doesn't fall open) Send it to Skeet's Gun Shop in Oklahoma. It't an inexpemsive repair.

11. soup

soup Member

12. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

If you only concern is that it opens too easy, I would not worry. A spot of weld and a file on the forend iron can cure that fast.

If the bolt is not camming the lug, that is a differnt story. Is your bolt engaging the lug and your lever somewhat to the right of center?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bt 99 plus lockup

browning bt 99 rebuild

browning bt-99 barrel lockup problems
bt 99 opens when fired
how to rebuild bt99
rebuild bt99
rebuilding a bt 99
rebuilding my bt99 browning