1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

when to put out the feeders

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sterlingworth, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

O.K. I know a few of you guys enjoy seeing humming birds. When do you put up the feeders for them. I had a few around last year and hope for more this year. I am in Pa. north of Allentown,any advice would be welcome...Ray

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Out here in the PNW, The First time you see just one, ASAP the juice!!

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

They've been here for over two months and I checked the hummingbird map and it shows many people up there are already feeding them. Just for the heck of it try pulling up the hummingbird map and you will be surprised. Remember, 4 parts water, one part sugar and boil. Let cool before filling the feeders. The birds here like the plain mix better than the red. Jackie B. South Georgia

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ray

We like to get the feeders out early so, hopefully, they stop here and nest on their way north. We, in your old home town, have had them out for a few days now. No hummers yet.

Ed Yanchok

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Get them out now. The hummers you will see early in the spring are the ones migrating to the north. The ones born in your area will show up every year about the same time.

Always leave your feeders up for two weeks after the last hummer you see in the fall. A lot of them have been born late, or are sick and need the nectar to travel south.

Wayne

[​IMG]

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

No sense waiting...be the first in your neighborhood!

7. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Thanks for all the replys,I guess I'll put it out this week as were going into a nice spell of weather...Ray

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Beenout for a month in east Texas. Visitors every day.

GneJ

9. Michael.B

Michael.B Member

I put mine up last week. I'm in southern New Hampshire.

Michael B.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Put them out now to catch the early migration. This is funny, the Hummingbirds like the Oriole feeder, and the Orioles like the Hummingbird feeder.
    [​IMG]

11. single stack

single stack Member

Put them out now!

We put out one feeder here in So. central Texas, on Feb. 20. We got our first hummingbird on Feb. 23.

Check out the migration map on the attached website. I like this kind of migration.

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

Mine have been out for 2 weeks in Western Kentucky. Already have the little critters fighting over the food---LOL.

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We've had ours out for about 2 1/2 months, funny how when they come back they will hover right where we used to have the feeders last year

My wife puts the feeders between two palm trees in front of the cabana, and they remember them I guess then my wife goes and gets them and they are happy again

They are fun to watch and damn they can get in fights

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I live 15 miles north of I-80 in NE Ohio and last year I put the feeder out on May 3rd. Spotted one on that date on the feeder. BT-100dc

15. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What is the difference between a hummingbird feeder and oriole feeder?

GneJ

16. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

We got our first one this afternoon. Glad that we had one feeder out.

Ed Yanchok

17. Stl Flyn

The Oriole feeder has a larger opening for the beak to fit into get the nectar. Usually the nectar is orange, due to the fact that Orioles eat oranges. The Hummingbird feeder has very small openings for the bills of the Hummingbirds to stick down into and use their long tongues. The Orioles get the nectar from the very slight leaking of the nectar, between the two lower pieces that snap together on the Hummingbird feeder. They do not even bother with the Oriole feeder, two feet away.

Put the feeders out today. Been a cold spring though, so they may be behind a little. Plus snow is coming to the north where they spend summer months in the big woods areas.

18. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Had our first one this evening in Central Indiana.

Feeders have been out for about a week.

19. 2shot

2shot Member

First one tonight at 6pm. He knew right where the feeder was. Will put out more .Located in central Ohio.

20. Stl Flyn

There back here in Wisconsin! Seen a male at the back feeder at 1:00 pm. Let the battles, and the dive bombing courtship begin!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.