1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When to mine shot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pocatello, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

With the price of shot so high, and no end in sight, I started thinking that it may be time for my club to mine our fields again next year. The last time we did it was in 2004, and my recollection was that we got about two semi-loads worth. We split that 50-50% with the miner, and traded our portion for new shot from Northwest, paying them some for the trade, plus freight to get it from Medford to Pocatello. In the end we paid under $5.50 per bag for almost 1800 bags of new shot, which we sold to Club members and others at a markup, but still well under the market price at the time. It has long since run out.

Since then, judging from the targets we have bought, we have thrown somewhere between 2 and 2.5 million targets. If all the shells shot at those targets were one ounce loads, and that is not the case, that would be up to twice as much lead sent downrange as we recovered last time. Does anybody here know what percentage of the lead is typically recoverable through mining? Should we mine again next summer? It would sure be nice to have a stockpile of shot to sell again costing the Club somewhere under $10 per bag. We could again sell it to members substantially under the going rate, and still have a good source of income to the Club.

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think that it depends on how many traps that you're shooting over. The less traps, the more dense the shot and therefore more economical to harvest. The last time that we mined our club, we had 13 pounds of lead for every 2 square feet of shotfall area.

Ed Yanchok

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Larry,

You won't be getting it for under 10 a bag.....trust me.

Rickyd

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Our club just mined for shot after 20 years of registerd shooting and some Friday night games . Total was 111 tons

5. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Pocatello,

Keeping track of the number of shots is very helpful in determining the frequency of mining. EPA also says that it suffices for the RCRA requirements of lead at a shooting range. We keep a monthly log of the number of shots on all ranges so the NIMBY's don't have a leg to stand on.

The miners I have visited with state that somewhere between 150 and 200 tons of loading is the proper time to mine. You might have a point at to the price and doing it earlier.

Does Northwest do mining? Where are they located?

Jack Burch

6. DJSims

DJSims Member

A 50/50 split should be re-thought!

When shot is 30 cents per pound, and the miner is willing to take that tonnage for his effort, OK.

When shot is $1.30 per pound, and the miner is willing to take that tonnage for his effort, NOT OK!!

The mining effort expended does require compensation to the miner, not blind reward for stupidity of the club. This is business 101, and the club should realize some profit.

Selling for $10.00 to your members sounds great, until you realize that the scrap value in the lead may be worth three times as much.

7. Bass

Bass TS Member

Anybody have dames of other mining/reclamation companies, especially in the Northeast?

Most clubs up here have shotfall on heavily wooded land-I am interested to know if any clubs/miners have mined such terrain successfully.

Thanks
    Ed

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Pocatello.......good thread and I don't mean to change the subject, but didn't you decide to sign off the site a while back?....just curious why you changed your mind.

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I'm interested in the trees question too.

10. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

A 50/50 split is not a bad deal. Often it's 60/40 in favor of the miner. There are only a handful of miners, they've got large investments in equipment, and they're usually booked a year or more in advance. You need them much more than they need you. Give them a hard time, and your *valuable* shot will still be on the ground 5 years from now. That's not Business 101, it's Business 412.

Shot amongst trees is lost. No practcal way to get recover it from entangled roots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.