1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When To Go Release

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Cherokee Kid, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Release triggers are better than pull triggers. Why everyone doesn't use them is a mystery.

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Release triggers are only better if you can't shoot a gun with a pull trigger. The mystery is why can't someone pull a trigger. To each his own. Use what works well for you.

3. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

Only go to a release if you have to.

When I was younger I couldn't stand them.

I went to a release, because a doctor screw up a surgery and cut the nerves into that controlled the feeling in my hand. I could tell how much pressure that I was putting of a pull trigger. I had to go to a release, because I could hold the trigger and I could let go without the feelings in my hand.

You have so much more options for guns if you can shoot a pull. I recommend don't make the change unless you just have to.

Release are great for the people who need them. For the people who can't understand why, they don't need one anyway.

4. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

I broke 80x200 in a registered singles event - that pretty much convinced me to go release!

38-01615

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

OTNOT, You don't say what your flinch is. Is it a forend flinch? Is it inability to pull the trigger? If it is the latter, its probably time to release. If its the former, it may be caused by something that a release would not fix. I have a forend flinch that pops up now and then and I tried a release and I still would forend flinch. I'm convinced that my forend flinch comes from a lack of concentration/not seeing the bird when it leaves the hoouse. A release won't fix that.

6. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I agree, a release for trap and a pull for hunting. Hunting is reflex shooting and the mind doesn't have time to play games. I recently change to right hand because of left eye problems and when hunting I sometimes close the wrong eye!! go figure. FD

7. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

interesting question you have asked here.

i , myself, started useing a release trigger when i bought a tm1 that had a release in it.

8. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

purdeys don't come with release triggers.

9. Patnj

Patnj TS Member

The guys at the gun club were talking about this yesterday. They said to go to a heavier trigger pull before going to a release. What ever your trigger pull is now they said to go up half a pound at a time. They also said you would be
    between 5 to 8 pounds of pull. They also suggested to dry fire your gun to get
    the feel of the trigger. They said the Jordan wall is very good in this matter.

10. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

I've watched many a release shooter flinch as well, only difference is the gun goes off. I've also seen release shooters shoot holes in the ground, take the light out on the trap house, take the paint both off the top and back of the house.
    Just watch anyone who gets a missfire, both release and pull shooters and tell me they don't flinch..lol.

ol 12

11. RLSS

RLSS TS Member

Dr. Longshot,

I am going to assume from your post, that the Dr.(doctor) designation in your sign on name is self appointed.

RLSS

12. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

The idea that a release should ONLY be used to correct some sort of problem (a flinch), is nonsense. I've never had any recoil related flinch, and I hope I never do. I have however flinched when my brain, eyes, and muscles weren't quite working in concert with each other. When something says "shoot" but something else says "not yet." But this is very rare for me (thank goodness and I hope it stays that way). And I've seen release trigger shooters whose brain won’t even let them set the trigger when the gun is mounted.

But I made the switch to a release just because, and broke 24 the first time out. I loved it, it seemed so natural and effortless. Have never used a pull trigger to shoot Trap since. I've never had an AD with a release. And I've never had any problem switching to a pull trigger for Skeet and Clays.

So forget the, “don't go to a release unless you have to” business. I say try it you might like it. If guns had all been designed with a release trigger mechanism from the beginning, you nay say’rs would be saying the same nays about pull triggers. Didn't Al and Nadine start Joe Ljutic with a release when he was like 9? Release triggers are well suited for Trapshooting. cls

PS: Just make sure your trigger is always working properly (pull or release), and always be safe.

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have been shooting a release for about 3 months now. My P-gun came with it, so when I tried the gun out to buy it, that's how it was. I immediately liked it much better (seemed to me more natural, since I shot a bow for the longest time). The forend flinch that I had developed went away from that day forward, but I have not shot my 1100 with a release, so although I assume it was the trigger, it could have been a change in gun. Whatever. The combination that I have works for me.

The only negative that I have come across with a release is that the trigger that I had sped up on me several times. I bought a Precision, and I am happy with that one so far. It is very consistent and precise.

This is just my experience, and I have very little thus far. I've only been shooting for a short while. But from a new shooter's perspective (and an archer's perspective), I prefer the release.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Kerry Allor release trigger...;-)

because I like the smoothness and lightness of a release.

Jim

15. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

MIA, I personally would prefer goodbye Alice. FD

16. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

I flinched and didn't want to use a release trigger..It seemed "sissy" or something. But a wonderful old trapshooter said "Just get the release trigger and use it." So, I did.
    After 100 shells my mind said "Why doesn't everyone use one of these?"
    Flinch gone for 25 years now.
    Sam Ogle, Lincoln, Ne

17. Charles L. Schmidt

I know shooters who have no choice but to set the release before mounting the gun. Because once it's mounted they CAN'T...

cls

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

My only bad experience with a release was setting the pull trigger on my doubles gun...;-)

Jim

19. Charles L. Schmidt

Wrong, I know two in particular and they've each registered upwards of 100k. Never seen an AD out of either of them. Great shots both of em'. You don’t develop a mental block like that without shooting LOTS of targets. I feel for them and I hope they overcome it.

AD's happen when people are careless or use equipment in need of repair. Although I suppose I could concede that those who are inclined to have an AD with a pull trigger, are probably even more likely to have one with a release. But there's nothing unsafe about a release trigger. Careless shooters on the other hand, well that's another story. cls

20. Charles L. Schmidt

Personally, I knew many great shooters were using them. And while my daughter was attending a Frank Hoppe clinic once, I asked Frank what he thought of going to a release even though I didn't flinch. He said, "Go for it, and make it a double release!" So I did, and never looked back. cls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.