1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When to go longer than 30" Brl ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Fairly new shooter here (2 years). I have a 34/32 Cynergy trap combo and an older 30" Citori trap O/U. I found myself liking the 30" Citori on the 16 yd line ... easier to handle, quicker to point, etc. And I do pretty well with it for singles. So, I have been using the 30" for HC as well. I have moved back slowly ... and am now at the 23 yd line. My first few shoots at the 23 havent gone so great. Is there a certain point when I should abandon the 30" for HC ? Does a longer gun really have an advantage as you move back ? I realize there are exceptions to every rule .. but what is the general consensus for barrel length advantage as you move back ? I dont see many 30" guns at the 27 ... but then come to think of it .... I dont see a whole lot of 30" at the 16 yd line either !
    Thanks for any advice !

2. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

When to go longer than 30

Don't worry about what guns are popular at certain range; There's not much consensus. Most of what is seen on the trap field is opinion of what works best.

Only scores count, so try both guns at different ranges and whichever offers the highest average score is the one to use.

Forget about consensus or what others use, most people aren't real good shooters. Sometimes, if a great shooter matches your style and physique, you can copy his moves and gun set-up or ask advice.

When your average score degrades with the 30"@yardage, try the 32"; if score improves then try it the other way, moving up toward the 16 with th 32" until your scores suffer. Then you know the yardage for sure. Good luck, GAP

3. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I watched a Jr USA Team member shot 100straight from the 27 w/ a Perazzi bunker gun. The under 30" bbls didn't seem to hold him back at all. Long bbls are a silly fad and even 32's were promoted by one-eye long sighting plane touting shooters. Meaningless w/ a shotgun. But, if you love it then it is perfect.

I suspect the "longer the better" carryover from other activities may as well have an influence.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I agreed with both comments.

I've tried anything from 28"~ 34" O/Us and 32"~35" un-single & top singles in the past 15 years, got a few 25s & 50s with most of them, but I find myself shoot best with 29.5" 1.5~1.55 kg O/U best at all distances and games. I'd say stay with what's comfortable for you, forget about the silly "longer is better" trend.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have always thought the 30" O/U was more naturally balanced and suited better to different conditions..in wind the 32's feel like sails with the gusts pushing the gun around

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

My thought is when shooting handicaps slow down and move the gun slower. It takes less movement for the handicaps and when using a shorter gun also. Therefore slow down. Slow your movement down. You have plenty of time.

Also be sure to NOT shoot behind the target. You can be in front of it considerably but not behind it at all.

After shooting a 34 inch gun I find it more difficult for me to shoot a shorter gun. Ray

7. bluskyshooter

Wow - some surprising comments .... seeing as it seems 32" & 34" guns dominate the trap lines.

8. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

I am of the school of thought that barrel length is personal preference. You my swing a shorter barrel better than a long one. If you are having trouble from the 23 I would look at point of impact. It has been my expierience that 23 yards is where things start to change.

For me at least, there was very little difference from 16 to 22 yards. From farther back I needed a higher shooting gun. Try raising your comb 1/4" or so and see if your scores are better.

My two cents for what it's worth. Good luck.

Joe

9. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

"I have always thought the 30" O/U was more naturally balanced and suited better to different conditions..in wind the 32's feel like sails with the gusts pushing the gun around"

Your kidding right??

10. CalvinMD

Not at all Ken...when it comes to over/unders..especially after I add extended choke tubes, a 32" just feels front heavy in any brand I've tried..I might be turning into a puny old man though so thats just me...I shoot the same 30" Citori Plus for trap and sporting..the 32" guns make fast moving angles more difficult..especially when I was shooting from a stool..for me the 30" is a more universal...the Jack of all trades thing..cuz I dont worry about mastering them any more : )

11. lel4866

lel4866 Member

Having published an analysis that shows the sighting plane advantage of a 34" barrel is almost nothing here a few weeks ago, I now have a theory as to why some shooters, including many older shooters, might actually gain a benefit from a longer barrel...and an experiment for everyone to try and carry out:

Here it is (drum roll):

The longer barrel means the front sight is farther from your eye. Given the limits of human eyes - it makes it more possible to simultaneously have the front bead in focus AND the clay in focus at the same time. Especially as you get older. I know it's only a couple of inches, but my preliminary experiments show the front bead is pretty close to the point where lots more things come into focus.

The experiment:

Make a 1-2 foot wood or aluminum extension to your rib (1/4" alu should be rigid enough) and double sided sticky tape it onto your rib. Adjust your point of impact to your liking and now go out a shoot and see how you do. Essentially you're simulating a 42" to 54" barrel/sight plane.

I'm going to try this in a week or so and report back if I don't kill myself.

12. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Extended ribs have been used in the past (ljutic), and I see some guys are now using them at international trap.

They seem to have settled on just a small extension of an inch or so, possibly they are too likely to be damaged easily when increasing length.

Al Ljutic was a real experimenter, and tried all types of sighting equipment. He finally compromised with around 33" single barrel, bump rib with no or very little extension. He also tried the O/U with a different length lower barrel for better swing. GAP

13. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

You go to "over 30 inch barrels" when you start running out of excuses for missing!

EdH

14. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Whatever works...works. As for the front bead I don't look at it. i look at the target. The more I concentrate on the target the better I shoot. I do find that with 32" barrels the perceived lead appears less than shorter barrels. All good.

15. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

when you get a smokin` deal on one is a good reason,and if youve never tried a longer barrel is another,you just never know,but when the muzzle starts scraping on the pavement,and becoming unweildly between shoots,clumsy to handle when moving about or too nose heavy are reasons to stay @ 30".

16. CalvinMD

FWIW I do like the 34" when you are talking Single barrels

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have always shot sbt's with a 32" bbl, until I got tired of having to give them away when I went to sell them. The only thing wrong with a shorter length trap gun is the low resale. Bill

18. bluskyshooter

Slayer - how true that is. I bet alot of folks buy 34" ... just cause they know they can sell-em easier when the time comes. Almost like they are forced into it ... even if the 34" is no better for them than 32".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.