1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When to close the gun ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dennis (nj), Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

This has been discussed before but I couldn`t bring it up on a search ?? A member didn`t like a few shooters closing their gun before it was their turn to shoot . He says it`s unsafe and got into a heated arguement over it !! This goes on all the time at our club and different clubs . With new shooters , I tell them they can load a shell but not to close the action until it is their turn to shoot and never put a loaded / closed gun down on the rubber pad for their safety as well as everyone elses . I prefer to close mine when the shooter to my left has taken his shot . Then I raise and close my gun . Some have a shoot preparation of closing it after 2 shooters have fired . I don`t believe there is a law to this and can a club have it as a rule ?? If so , can it or should it be enforced ?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

What ever floats your boat, we shoot, eject the empty, reload, close the gun and be ready to raise the gun when its your turn again ... There is no rule against it because its not unsafe to do it this way ... If anything happens to stop the shooting the first thing I do is open the gun and remove the loaded shell from the chamber ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Dennis: Yes this has been discussed at length in the past. Of course you will find that shooters feel strongly, (both ways), regarding the proper time to close ones action. I, for one close my action when the 2nd shooter to my left shoots at the target. ( i.e., if I am on station 5, I close the gun when the shooter on station 3 fires his gun). There are many shooters that believe you shouldn't close the action until it's your turn to shoot. All guns have to be directed down range and to me it's not an issue either way. I know of one club who has it as a club rule. However, a rule such as this does cause confusion; as most clubs do not have this type of rule and of course the ATA shoots do not have such a rule. In summation, if the action is closed or open, the gun will not be a safety issue as long as the gun is pointed downrange. (Loaded guns have to be pointed downrange;and that is a rule no matter where you shoot). Ed

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Close the gun when the preceeding shooter fires.
    But that's no hard-and-fast rule; do what's comfortable for you.

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what WPT said. The basic idea is to elimate any and all unecessary movement just prior to the shot. This, combined with a high hold does just exactly THAT!

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I always shoot, take out the empty and put a fresh round into the chamber, or, when shooting an 870 just put the next round onto the shell elevator and wait until the shooter on the left has shot, then raise the gun and close the action in one motion.

This way, it can't be said that I am distracting the shooter next to me by unnecessary movement and also some ssfety freak can't get upset about the gun being prematurely loaded.

Think about that! A loaded gun on a trap line. Jesus! ;-)

I even take the round back out of the gun if I forgot that it is walk time.

So far no one has been able to think of anything wrong with that proceedure....give um time.

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Well, if you DON'T...and you're at any of the clubs around here...you'll be politely asked to DO SO!!!!!!

8. bling 27

bling 27 Member

Close the action when it is your turn to shoot. End of story.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Close the action when you are comfortable with a closed gun, oh, and make sure ya load it before closing.

Gne J

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I do it exactly the way WPT described, I close the gun as soon as I load and wait for my turn. I try not to move much until the shooter after me is finished.

sammie, Leaving a post with a loaded gun should never be tolerated, the guy is an idiot.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Since I shoot an auto, I close my gun just as the shooter two or three stations before me fires. That way I don't set off the voice release and I don't distract the shooter on my left.

12. pdq

pdq Member

Check page 17 (section on Safety) of the ATA rules book and you'll have your answer in paragraph 10. There is nothing in there that says you can't load and close your gun until it's your turn to fire. In fact it says that you can load and close the action of the gun once the shooter is on the firing line.

That's the official word. Others feel strongly the other way, and I shoot on many squads where people do it both ways.

At the end of the day, the main thing is gun safety. If you don't have your gun closed, you are safe. If it's closed and pointed down range, you are safe.

This is the sort of topic that people can get into heated debate over, but strip away all the rhetoric and it's all about safety.

Remember -- have fun & be safe.

Pete

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

What Ed said above. When the shooter two over is taking his shot. And, if you watch the top shooters, especially those who shoot in squads which they know well and shoot with often, they almost always close the chamber well before the shooter before them has shot. That is part of the rhythm of the top squads, shooting quickly after the shooter in front of you. And, in almost any ATA event with the best squads you will see this rhythm. (We can start a whole other argument (discussion) as to whether this is a method of "reading" or "locking" the traps.)

However, many gun clubs have a rule that you may not close your action till it is your time to shoot. Even in those clubs it is not enforced at significant ATA shoots. But, I have seen it. Especially for casual practice, the trap help will tell someone to not close their gun early. On more than one occasion, I have been amused to see a trap boy with no more than a years experience on the range tell an All American to stop closing their gun before it is their time to shoot because it is dangerous. Hilarious.

Regards, Jake

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Granted the ATA does not have a rule governing this situation but the ISSF the governing body of international shooting does. You may NOT close your gun until the competitor on your left has fired. I personally think that these guy that stand there with the guns closed and almost on their shoulders while you are shooting are RUDE. Thankfully the Bunker Trap game I shoot has a rule against it and I believe the ATA should as well.

TB

15. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Baber, I imagine I shoot as much Bunker as you do. And watching some shooters with the whole routine: Take a deep breath and sigh, shoulder the gun slowly while aiming at the sky, lock in the face and check the alignment, and SLOWLY lower the gun to the trench, let the eyes concentrate on the "soft focus" point, concentrate a few more seconds, CALL FOR THE BIRD. It is like watching paint dry. Being on a six man squad with three or more such shooters is agony for me. Like playing golf on an open course with slow players. Just hit the damn ball and let's move on!

And, as you undoubtedly know, the international rules were changed to only allow 10 seconds for the shooters to go through their routine. And 10 seconds is A LONG TIME.

One other thing. You say shooter shooting quickly after you are rude. I think shooters who move around after their shot BEFORE you are rude. I shoot left handed and so am somewhat facing the shooters to my left. Believe me, it is an issue. Especially when the person right before you misses a bird and changes their routine by throwing down their empties or some such demonstration.

No system is perfect. The issue is what is safe

Best Regards, Jake

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

I agree with you on the movement before/after the shot. I try not to make any movement until the person next to me has shot. Yes... I open the gun but most of the time i hold the shells until the person has shot. I had one kid in Keerville a few years ago blow out his barrels just as I called pull. He just enjoyed making them sound like a pipe organ. I did say something after the round. I totally disagree with your remark about hit the ball.... Suggest you watch Tiger Woods sometime. He does not just walk up there and "hit the damn ball". His pre shot routine is just like some of our best shooters.

TB

17. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

it depends on the pace of the squad for me, if i'm shooting w/ newbies i wait till it's my turn as the forearm iron on my p-gun gets hot and it is also more comfortable to leave it open, but if i'm on a fast squad i usually close two to my left, i try to find some sort of rhythm but w/ a slow squad some times that seems impossible i agree safety first sm

18. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

It happened here some years ago. A shooter had the habit of loading his gun, then resting the barrel (not closed) on top of his shoe while he waited. One time, for reason never explained, he closed the gun, then rested the barrel on his foot. Somehow the gun fired and he lost a foot.

19. lc

lc TS Member

WPT has it right!

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Close the gun when the fellow to the left or two shoots so my action don't call for a bird . And stand sill when It's not your turn. Some guys look like their doing the Hokey pokey between shots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.