1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When to close and Shoulder...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I just read the thread "Between Shots During A Round - Your Routine?" and had a similar question but did not want to hijack that thread.
    At what point do you close your gun and shoulder it? Too early seems like bad manners, as I have been annoyed by shooters doing stuff to my right before I shoot. Good case for blinders I guess.
    On the other hand if you wait too long it draws the match out.
    Is there any consensus on the subject? (Fat chance...)
    dju

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

David, I have an article, actually a booklet that Garcia and Baretta put out. In it there is a few pages on etiquette on the trap range. If you PM your address I'll send you a copy. Bulge.

3. windyflat

windyflat Member

I eject the empty, reload and close the gun after the shooter to my right shoots..
    I do not shoulder the gun until I pause for a few seconds after the shooter to my left has shot. I seem to shoot more 25's when I remember to pause slightly before I mount the gun

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

David: Methinks your (Fat chance) comment is the best answer you can hope for.

That said, JMO---I think it's very inconsiderate to call before the persons (to your left) tgt has hit the ground. It takes most machines 2&1\2 to 3 seconds to cycle, call any sooner & you get a broken or no tgt at all. That should be enough time for a person to close & mount their gun. Ross Puls

5. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I consider any movement to my right, while its my turn, to be very inconsiderate. When the person that is two stations to my left fires his gun I pick my gun straight up off of my toe and stop all movement completely. When the person to my left shoots I close and mount my gun, it takes very little time, there is no reason to move your gun at all if the person to your left is going thru his motions. There are people that are mounting there gun while the person before them calls for there target, I think its very rude. Another thing that really drives me crazy is when I mount my gun and someone 2 or 3 stations away closes there automatic and I hear it or they close it and the machine throws my target. There is an easy fix for this one, close your auto immediately after someone shoots, the thrower is not reset yet, no chance for a thrown target and you are not bothering the next shooter. Everyone should read about etiquete, it would solve alot of problems.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I was taught at the beginning of my EVERY shooting lessons, "CLOSE THE ACTION WHEN IT'S YOUR TURN TO SHOOT".

I've been following that rule ever since, I load the chamber after I shot, but do not close action or mount the gun until the person before me fired his or her shot.

I understand it's not required by ATA, but closing the action while rise the gun to shoulder is a 3~4 seconds movement, I don't see why it's SO difficult for some people to do AFTER previous shooter fired.

7. extrapper84

extrapper84 Member

STEVE.. is right-on!

IT ALL SO LESSENS THE CHANCE OF ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE.

JMO

Hal

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Didn't we beat this one to death just recently? Mark

9. Peter Sinclare

Peter Sinclare Active Member

Based on my observation, closing the action before your turn to shoot happened mostly in ATA shoots. more so on the 27 yard line, and especially by those "Elite" shooters.

I certainly don't want to argue with those big dogs. Just hope they don't teach their kids the same manner.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'm another one like Steve who waits till its my turn to close the gun.

Even with blinders you can see movment. I don't know how many times I've seen the end of a barrel rising just as I'm calling.

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Shoulder the gun after shooter to your left fires. Close it anytime, just make sure ya put a shell in it first.

GneJ

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I do not lift my gun untill the shooter to my left has fired. Wish all those who shoot to my right would pay me the same respect. Thanks, Jake

13. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

When I hear the shooter to my immediate left call for his target, I lift my gun about an inch off its rest. (I believe this motion is imperceptible to anyone who is not looking directly at me.) When I hear the report of his gun, I begin to close and shoulder mine. My thinking is that once he has fired, nothing I do will affect his shot. I have yet to have anyone complain or even comment on my movements. Waiting for his target to hit the ground (If he missed) doesn't do much for anyone, and just slows things down.

Ted K.

14. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I think that it's common sense to remain motionless until the shooter to the left fires. Once their shot is fired it's your turn to prepare to shoot. I think you should have your gun closed and be ready with your trigger finger out of the trigger guard. Then simply raise your gun, call for the target, and fire. The only other thing is to respect all the other shooters and remain still, on your post, until it's time to change and not start walking early.

I hate it when a shooter waits till the target hits the ground then grabs a shell, puts it in their gun, sighs and exhales, mounts the gun, waits to try to read the trap, and then finally shoots. Give me a break! Oh, and lets not forget the shooters who throw a fit every time they miss. They should be used to it by now.

I don't mind people that are slow or fast but at least be consistent. I try not to watch people who mount their gun like they are going to shoot a distant star before coming down level only to move the gun again into their shoulder. Who ever taught that method is proof that when your taught to do something, that makes no sense, you'll only get better at it over time.

The "Big Dogs" do shoot way faster because they have mastered the sport and realize how a good, fast, and consistent squad helps. They almost all shoot with their friends like a lot of us do.

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Your timing signal key to mount is when you see the prior target break or hit the ground if missed.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I guarantee that if you always wait to "shoulder" your gun until after a missed target goes all the way to the ground that you will have a limited number of folks to shoot with. Keeping a three to three and a half second cadence between shooters is conducive to better scores.

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Barry has never witnessed a missed target break apart while still in the air after it has been called "lost". He has, but prefers synchronized shooting that some squads are known for.

18. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Steve is correct. Close gun after the person to your left has fired.

This is a rule we teach our kids. In fact most clubs I have been to, this rule is posted. Only 1 shooter on the line should have a closed gun and that is the person that is shooting. Period!

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I close the action and shoulder the gun after the person to my right shoots!

20. James344

James344 Active Member

The kids that shoot on my son's youth team are all taught to wait until the person immediately ahead of you had fired to close and mount. This is a safety issue that they all live by. I know this because I score them every week at practice.

A little patience on the line will go a long way. My son started cracking 25 straights when I noticed that he was rushing his call. Now when he is set, he takes 1-2 seconds before calling just to make sure he is ready. It has worked wonders for his scores. He has just missed several 50 straights by one target since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.