1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When should you refuse reductions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

When should you refuse reductions in handicap?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

In my opinion, never. They have given you that reduction because your scores have not indicated forward progess. That being said, i refused mine last year and kicked myself every handicap shot i fired this year.---Matt Parker

3. happy

happy Member

never, by refusing the reduction it makes the handicap system fail even more.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is a personal question.

I asked to be moved up to the 25 yard line so I could squad with my friends.

If I was eager to play the options, I would take every reduction offered.

What are your reason(s) to shoot HC?

Don Verna

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Figure out what it cost to get to the yardage you are at and then ask yourself that question ... I have a really, really nice belt buckle for sale ... I have approx $10,000 invested in it will take best offer over that ... Why does anyone worry about what yardage other people shoot from, its no bodys business but the one who is paying the bills ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Reductions should be mandatory, you have to the right to move back, if you maintain that, you should move up. NO other sport do you get to manipulate the rules to suit you.

7. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I worded my first reply wrong.

You have to earn the right to move back, you should have to shoot well to stay there, if you dont, you should have to move forward. I cant think of any other sport where you can manipulate the rules to suit your self.

8. smsnyder

Does shooting from the 27 yard line make sense when your shooting in the 80's ? See it all the time .

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The object of this game is to break targets. I am on the 20 yard line and would like to get even closer.
    Steve Balistreri

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What BS. The only person's business it is - is the person paying the bills. If someone earned his way there and wants to stay there so what??? How is he hurting the system?? How is he manipulating the rules??? You think he is cheating?? Who then is he affecting and who is he cheating?? Who is he taking money away from?? Who is he taking trophies away from??

What a bunch of whiney "it ain't fair" children, maybe if you worked on your handicaps more you too could be back there with that decision to make. If I want to stand back there and compete against the very best then that is my decision not yours and the rules allow me to do it.

I'll be your example 7,100 caps targets this year from the 27 with an average of 85% also with 5 punches and a 95 in the GAH. I quit bothering with reductions some time ago, my business not yours. I also shoot in the rain, snow, wind and whatever as a Sr. Vet.. Maybe you would prefer I compete against the 22 yarders.

The answer to your question is whenever you damn well please.

Don

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Essentially...what BIGDON said.

Who is it hurting if people aren't competitive and don't take reductions?

Personally, I DO take reductions when I get them. I want to score well, and taking a reduction if I'm struggling at my yardage is the way to do that.

12. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I cast my lot with BIGDON also. J.Woolsey

13. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

IF you want to shoot with the big dogs, then earn it to get there and stay there. Some shoots you go to have partail squads of short and mid yardage groups and way more long yardage squads, if they took the folks off the long yardage that didnt deserve to be there and filled out the other squads, wouldnt it shorten the shoot by a couple of squads and speed things up?

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I agree with BIGDON. But, if you turn down a reduction, don't bitch about how unfair the handicap system is.

15. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

If you looked at Phil Kiner's survey there were some interesting results. I realize it doesn't cover every shooter in the ATA, but with over 3000 responses I think the data can provide some relevant info on some topics.

Regarding reductions. 49.6 percent said they had turned one down.

88.5 percent said they turned one down but don't feel the ATA should do something to make them more competitive.

66.3 percent said no to mandatory reductions.

This tells me what I have always believed - the people who don't take reductions are not the ones complaining about the handicap system and how hard it is to win (from whatever yardage they shoot from). Those who refuse reductions recognize that that ATA is not going to do anything further to help them be competitive.

I can't understand why anyone would think making reductions mandatory would solve any problems, and to date I don't think anyone has presented any problems that are caused by shooters not taking reductions.

Scott

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

So many people like to tell other people what they should do. Quite strange to me.

Pat Ireland

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Pat---in the same boat are the people who ask what they should do such as the thread creator. I said never but thats my opinion and what Don said is agreeable as well. I however do NOT think the system is broken and should be fixed nor should reductions be mandatory. I bitched all year long to myself for not taking my reduction. Live and learn i suppose.----Matt

18. smsnyder

Ok,Ok, I'll take my reduction to 19 yards but don' call me a sandbagger when I break a 96 to 100 from this spot. LOL

19. zinger

zinger Member

I gladly got my new reduction card today in the mail....and believe me, I earned it!

20. smsnyder

Zinger reduction party with you and bruce is in order in that nice trailer of yours. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.