1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When should you place shell in gun and close it..?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tincanman, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tincanman

tincanman Member

http://www.shootesc.com/graphics/top-center-shooters-png.png

I see this virtually every time I go to the club. The shooter on post 1 is shooting and someone down the line on post 3, 4 or 5 has a shell loaded in his gun and it's closed.

I don't understand their anxiousness. Seems to me it's not the safest thing to do and is there any ATA rule against it?

I've never see anyone approach these individuals but there doesn't seem to be any sort of range officer watching what people do in ATA anyhow.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I will load a shell in my gun after I shoot. My barrel is pointed down range and my finger isnt on the trigger. Ive never read anything about this subject in the ATA rule book.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

As soon as I shoot I put another shell in the chamber. I do NOT close the action un til the shooter in front of me calls pull.Once he calls pull I start raising my gun. Mike.

Some years ago Beretta and Garcia put out a booklet on trapshooting and one of the chapters was on etiquette. I copied it and sent at least six of the out.

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

After I shoot, I casually open the gun, take out the empty and put another one in. I close the action when the guy to my left goes "boom". This also takes care of any potential problem with the voice-operated trap. I really like a nice, steady rhythm to the squad. No matter what anyone else says, it does seem to make a difference. Hate shooting with 3-man (or smaller) squads.

cap

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The practice is legal by the ATA rules but personally I do not close my break open gun until it is my turn to shoot. I close the gun as I am bringing it up to my shoulder and no one has ever accused me of being too slow.

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have been told that as long as the gun is being handled safely and pointed down range that there is nothing wrong with it. I was told that when I complained to shoot management about a shooter doing just as you describe. For me personally I prefer to wait until the shooter before me has fired and then close my gun as the first step in my routine. I don't feel that the early closing speeds up the squad much if any. Even with a pump or auto the action can be closed at the end of the shot by the shooter before you without any excess delay.

--- Chip King ---

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Put a shell in , wait for the person before you to shoot , then raise your gun and close it before you set it into your shoulder AND CALL PULL WHEN READY . We try to tell this to all new shooters but you can`t change the old ones who are set in their ways . They will close their guns or raise them up as the person to their left is about to fire at their target . I see frustration in some as it distracts that person seeing a movement just as they fire . Of course they see nothing wrong with that !!!!

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

When I shoot the auto, I usually try to close the action 2 shooters prior when they call for the target. I feel this doesn't disturb the shooter to my immediate left,,,,,,keep the gun pointed downrange and finger OFF the trigger until my turn. Have never had anyone say anything to me one way or another as I strive to maintain the "rhythm" of the squad....

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I don't understand what the issue is if the shooter keeps the gun open or closed or if the shell is inserted or not, just as long it is not disruptive. Why should it bother you in the first place?

Eventually he is going to be firing off that round whether he places the shell in the gun before or after the next person shoots. If you don't feel comfortable with either method then maybe you should excuse yourself from the squad and shoot with someone you're more comfortable with.

I know this will come off as a tough guy statement, but I dare you to approach me about whether or not I close my gun before or after the next guys shoots.

This thread just strikes the wrong chord with me. I mean really WTF? Who cares. Now I can understand if the gun was loaded, closed and the shooter moved to the next post or was looking around swinging the gun. Seriously.

Bryan

10. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

I put in a shell immediately after I shoot. However, I do not close it until it is my turn to shoot. I use to close once the second shooter to my left shot which I think is acceptable. I quit doing that when once I did a dumb thing on station 1 and shot at the same time my buddy on 5 shot. We both powdered the target but he had to shoot over and missed. It was a registered shoot and made a difference for him. Never again.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

According to the official ATA rule book (reprinted Sept 1 2011) on page 17--#14 a contestant may hold their gun in any manner that does NOT interfere with other shooters. This info is available @ www.shootdata.com

That said, I will put a shell in the receiver (I shoot a pump) but NOT close the action until the shooter before me has shot & lowered their gun, it takes the machine 2&1\2--3 seconds to reset which gives me plenty of time to close the action & mount my gun. I do agree with you tincanman I don't like 1 or 2 or 3 other guns loaded & closed on the line even though there is nothing to prohibit that practice. I would like to see a rule specific to this in print.--Ross Puls

Edit To calkid, YES I probably would go resquad because I don't think I would be comfortable on the same squad with anyone with your attitude. Ross Puls

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

With Auto's I load the chamber after my last shoot and close the gun on the shooter next to me report. This prevents the voice activated system from launching a target. I thne mount and shoot. Break open, I load and close two shooters ahead of me.

Surfer

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I close the action on my auto as soon as the second or third shooter on my
    right fires his gun. Same as bigdogtex. That keeps the voice actuated release from throwing a bird, since the trap hasn't had time to reset. It also doesn't disturb the shooters next to me.

I think most auto shooters do it this way.

14. APrice

APrice Active Member

Insert shell after firing, except on last target of station. Do not close action until shooter before you shoots at his target. If you get squadded with an inconsiderate guy like Calkidd or WPT, drop off and re-squad.

BTW, never be afraid to approach anyone on your squad with a legitimate safety concern. It's for everyone's benefit.

15. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Bryan, I get your point. But consider this as well. Last fall I was on Station 2, shooter on Station 3 calls for target and got a no bird (broken target). He lowered the gun to his waist, looked at the score keeper, and the gun went off. There were 3 separate people (Station 4, Station 5 and a coach observing) who independently verified to me personally that his finger was NOT on the trigger. All I know was there was a smoking hole 3 feet in front of the line and I needed a change of pants. I accepted their word, as well as the shooter's, that this was an accident. The look on his face said more than he did, it scared him. By the way, we were all strangers, this wasn't a "buddy" squad.

I have no problem with a shell in the gun. But safety seems to say that you close the gun when its your turn to shoot.

My experience, my two cents. Others may differ.

Harold

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shoot, I open the gun and let the shell fly, put another one in the gun close it and be ready to go when its my turn ... I do not count how many shooters have yet to shoot nor do I care ... There is nothing unsafe about reloading and being ready for your next shot ... If you got a problem with that take up shooting pool where you have to wait your turn to get ready to shoot ... Why make a big deal out of nothing, thats the problem with the friggin world we live in today ... I do not want to shoot with some shooter that takes all day to get ready once its his or her turn ... JMHO ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

PS: THERE IS NO RULE AGAINST IT BECAUSE ITS NOT UNSAFE ...

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

As you can readily see tincanman, there are a butt-ton of opinions.

The ATA rule book is the rule. (Download it from the ATA site and read for yourself if you haven't.)

What your papa taught you is your conscience.

Safety is everything.

Honor all three and you'll be good to go!

Guy B.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like being on a squad that 'has their suff together'. Whether this means loading your gun and closing the action when the shot is two posts away or if it means waiting until its your turn to close the action doesn't really matter. What does matter is that everybody goes through their own rounine smoothly and with no distraction to others or interuptions in the shooting cadence. And by smoothly that includes the basics like the muzzles are always down range and never swinging around and no one has some freakish problem making their gun operate.

This isn't a big deal or a rarity when shooting with experienced shooters that take the game seriously.

19. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I shoot a semi and will not drop a shell in or close the action until the shooter before me fires.

Doing it any sooner presents a potential hazard if something goes wrong on the line or with the traps and you're standing there with a loaded gun.....It's not the same as opening a O/U.

This should apply to both semi and O/U shooters if for nothing more than respect.

Being that we're on this subject........why in the hell do people feel the need to aim at my freaken target

20. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Harold,,,,,I am sure his finger was NOT on the trigger,,,,,did they ask if it was a "release" trigger????

Just poking at ya,,,,sorta.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

when someone shoots self could there still beva shell in the gun