1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When shooting can you see the target rims?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Can you see the actual rim and center indentation of the target when it appears? Well I have always been able to do this. There was a short period when I could not, Eye doctor said I had the start of cataract formation. I immeaditly started taking and EYE VITAMIN called OCCUVITE and the cataract formation went away believe it or not, have been taking this VITAMIN for 5+ years now and my vision is still corrected to 20-10 this eye vitamin is reccomended by Bausch and Lamb. I am now 68 years old and reccomend all shooters to stsrt taking an eye vitamin, especially when you pass 60 years old.

I wear Randolph Ranger Rx eyeglasses, My first pair of prescription trapshooting glasses were made for me by an Trapshooting Rx lense grinder I met at the Grand American in 1970, Exam was done at Union Health Center and I watched the complete making of my lenses, they were Photo Grays, they changed
    darkness by the light.

I wore these for a number of years, but they were heavy glass lenses because of my Rx, I then went to the Ranger Plastic Hardened Rx Lenses, from Custom Sportswear and Optical that goes to all the major shoots. I primarily wear the clear lenses especially for night shooting, I like his Missouri Orange and Plum
    for bright day targets w/some clouds, but on the cloudless bright sunny days I like the Randolph Ranger CMT they were used by Kim Rhoad on the Olympic Team.

The CMY lenses are great for a cloudless bright sunny day, but if a cloud goes over the sun you are screwed, clarity really drops. I used these in the WEST at Grand in San Antonio, and once and awhile at Ohio Shoots.

But I stress again the EYE VITAMIN OCCUVITE or Similiar vitamin.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Corrected vision to 20/10?

How did you manage that?

I have to talk to my eye fellow.

HM

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Occuvite, eh? Promise me a hundred strate from 27?

(if I ever get there)

4. Dr.Longshot

When taking my eye exams I tell the eye doctor that I want to split hairs and want the best vision possible since I do not wear these glasses everyday.

When taking your eye exam do the show you the vertical and horizontal lines?

Some are darker than others, and you want to get them all equal, and then have him put the vision test on for 20-20/20-15/20-10/20-5, you want to be able to read the smallest line accurately.

My vision has not changed in the last 10 years,Thank God for that and my OCCUVITE vitamins, these are available at all major drug and grocery stores, well worth the price.

My first eye doctor was a shooter, so I know what to ask for on the eye exam.
    The exam takes longer but well worth the time.

I actually passes my last eye driving exam for license re-newal w/o my glasses.

Clarence Willis sent me to his eye exam doctor, one year he was at the Grand in his building.

There is a good eye doctor for shooters in Gahanna, Ohio.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. Dr.Longshot

MIA I will do my best to promise it to you, give the vitamins time to work, I would say a month should do it. There are some knock offs of the same vitamin,
    One sold by Meijers.

Look for vitamins w/lutein, get the ones w/higher content of it.

I like the Occuvite, I am 68 years old and still have good eyes, no cataracts and my eye are still watering, no dry eyes.

My good friend had dry eyes until I reccomended him to OCCUVITE, it actually helped, he is in his 70s and we still win our share of protection shoots.

I shoot protections 4 days a week Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday.

1200fps shell on first shot, 1 1/4oz 6s 26 grs 800-X line back-up and 1 1/8th oz of 6s w/ 34 grains of Longshot 1475 fps. for shootoffs anywhere.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Targets have rims????

Guy B.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gary. Goin gto the store ina about a half hour. I'll look. Interestingly, my cataracts are minimal, but just a tad worse in my dominant shooting eye. I wonder if Occuvite will have any affect on floaters? Eh?

G. I hope to get to Cardinal this year. Willlook fwd to nmeeting up wiht you and a few other guys too. Alf99 the farmer is another.

Jack

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I just turned 70 Senior Vet status and have the early stages of cataracts but not yet ready for surgery according to the eye doc because my corrected vision is still 20/20. I have good vision days and bad vision days, I dunno why. Strangely enough my very best scores were shot with Decot Vermillion lenses on a nice sunny day where the targets were solid Orange White Flyers with no rim at all.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

During my last eye exam, like Gary, I found out I had the beginning stages of cataracts also. Even with that, my DR. corrected my vision to 20/15. I knew something was drastically wrong and needed it fixed if possible! My vision was 20/05 till I was about 50! I began taking Occuvite supplements shortly after my exam and I will continue!! Thanks for sharing this important heads up Gary! I also have my shooting glasses made by Willis Anderson of Baltimore,Ohio!! We're shooting a few events together at the Spring Grand this February!

Gene Hapney (Vail,AZ)

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

For 7 years I tried eye vitamins and herbal supplements, pills, capsules and drops. My conclusion:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am really confused. Cataracts are a result of cloudy conditions forming in the lens. The lens is not living tissue. How can a vitamin increase the health of something that is not alive?

Pat Ireland

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have cataracts in both eyes and have been taking Ocuvite for 3 years (took another product before that) and there has been no change either way. I wish there was a vitamin for astigmatism. BTW, the Ocuvite was recommended to stem off Macular Degenenration brought on by Diabetes. It's working so far. JRM

13. Dr.Longshot

My early start of cataracts has stopped or gone away, it does not or did not affect my lens, But I am a diabetic and have been using OCCUVITE and I have no symptoms, must have got it early, as of last eye exam no cataracts exist.

That is why I reccomend all shooters to take OCCUVITE or Similiar Vitamin.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. Dr.Longshot

Pat Ireland the cloudiness had not gotten to my lens yet, and is now gone maybe because I got to it early enough, and the tissue dispersed.

But I cannot say enough for VITAMINS for the eyes especially for shooters, it has helped me, but I don't believe it will cure cataracts over or on the lens.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. Dr.Longshot

The White Flyer Target does have a Rim. Even the Orange Ones

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I have a friend who shoots targets very fast right out of the house. During one informal practice at 16yds my friend shot a target into a smoke ball and the next shooter stopped the squad. "Say that last target you shot was off-color almost all black wasn't it?"

Danny's reply was "Hell I don't let 'um get out of the house far enough to see what color they are."

17. Dr.Longshot

Hap that is Clarence Willis at Custom Sportswear and Optical Baltimore, Ohio

Willis Anderson is a shooting friend of yours and mine and a fine shooter too may I add.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LOL, that's what I get for thinking two things and typing the wrong one without reading what I wrote? :)

Hap

19. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I can see the target spinning!

:)

Ronbo

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Gary, I notice the diffrent ridges on a target and when I talked to a well known expert he told me that he did as well. We both have between 20-10 and 20-15 in both eyes. When I was 20-10 in both in was really easy to see them. When a lot of fellows are just trying to see the targets good , talk of individual rings on the targets brings crys of bullshit from other shooters. Good eye site and abilty to break targets are two diffrent things. I have great eyes and very slow reflexes. I can see them clearly very quickly but I can not react to them.
    I learned this going to see a sports medicine eye Doc. It does help me hunting though. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

target shooters eye vitamins

trap shooting seeing the target