1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When relatives drop in uninvited

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Here in Milwaukee, I have a tremendous amount of relatives. Some I like and can tolerate, and some just lets say the next time I would most likely see them is when they are 3 foot 6, 3 foot wide and six feet deep in the ground.

With that being said, on July 4th, I had my immediate family over for a barbecue. This past week my mother just happened to be talking to relatives and told them she was invited to my house on the 4th.

Low and behold 6 relatives showed up who just happened to be in the neighborhood, when they live 20 to 30 miles away. They came uninvited, and they came without food or drink.

I had to scramble to find someplace open to purchase additional food and drink. I did not have enough chairs for all of them so my wife and I had to stand for most of the day.

These relatives are older and they sat on their backside without lifting a hand to help like they were at a Holiday Inn. They were able to eat at the rate where I swear I saw sparks flying off their knife and fork.

After they left, I had to take my mother back home to her condo. During the drive I asked her if she invited these relatives without my knowledge, and she insisted that she did not invite them.

I told her in the future, I would not be so gracious if people show up uninvited. She said she will get the word out.

Two questions I want to ask.
    1. Do you mind if relatives show up uninvited?
    2. Would you have said anything to these relatives when they came over uninvited.
    Steve Balistreri

2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

What's the punch line of this joke?

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Inconsiderate of them. I'm at the point that, if that happened, I'd gather up everyone else in the house, pack them in the car and tell the uninvited folks "We were just leaving to go _______. Sorry"

The risk you run by allowing them to stay and by entertaining them is that (1) they will do it in the future and (2) they will spread the word that Steve has an open door policy.

I know it's awkward, but that's my opinion.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. senior smoke

John:
    Sorry to say it's no joke. I hate when people show up uninvited!
    Steve

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Steve we used to have it happen all the time not only family but "friends" my wife and I were like you were working cooking cleaning and they just sat and watched

It was fun for a while, but it started to snow ball, and then it started to get way out of hand, we have a nice place 45 acres about 10 acres of ponds, swimming dock, trap range, a lot of fun stuff to do, then the leeches started bringing more leeches

Until one time when it happened and I was not in the mood for it, they still think I'm an ass, but at least I'm a happy ass

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Easy fix. After the meal is done,and in full view of the uninvited guests, put the plates on the floor and let the dog(s) lick 'em clean.

Then put the plates back in the cupboard...

Works every time!

Kiv

7. pca7ggr

pca7ggr Member

Growing up, my mom and I lived small apartment in downtown San Francisco two blocks from the Greyhound depot. So relatives always dropped by when they arrived in The City. Come to think, even the local relatives always dropped by without notice.

I don't recall my mom ever getting upset about their visits. But then, we were always welcome to their place when we arrived unannounced. Must be a cultural thing.

Sergio

8. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

Steve: I know of what you speak. We live a block from the beach. Until I moved there, I probably saw certain relatives maybe every 5 years. When I moved, they started showing up every weekend. After second time, I just started telling them that there was a place down the beach that rented condos. And I wished they had called because I already had guest for the weekend. Tim

9. senior smoke

Good to hear that I am not the only one that feels this way about uninvited guest. My wife is the nice one in the family where she would have a fit if I would have said anything to my uninvited relatives.

I would NEVER go to anyone's house uninvited. I believe this practice is very rude.

My next thread will be about neighbors who borrow tools and then I need to hire a collector to get them back!
    Steve

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Close the curtains or drapes and act like there is no one home ... If they call and I don't want to talk to them I keep saying Hello, Hello, Hello, oh well nobdy there ... Next Question ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

This thread should be moved to the "shooting Related" section. They're will be a shooting if my in-laws show up un-invited. All kidding aside they showed up uninvited once and we wouldn't let them in. Never happened again. Dave T.

12. senior smoke

1100tt:
    Size 4xl if you have one.
    Steve

DTrykow: LOL
    Steve

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Such a tricky subject! My wife and I occasionally show up uninvited at close friends houses, but only for a short visit or cocktail and we only stay upon their insistance.Plus we always give a warning via cell phone. It's usually easy to read a situation and handle it properly on both ends. If they can't at least phone ahead, they are just plain rude to crash your party on a holiday and should be treated as such. I wouldn't go as far as refusing to let them in, but I wouldn't be afraid to let my irritation show. they'll get the message. Bill

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Damn 'smoke you must be running out of made up topics to ramble about. You had a similar thread to this one a couple of years ago, but I believe it was at Thanksgiving that time. Maybe you should go back and look at the ones you've made up in the past so you don't duplicate them in the future.

Maybe we need to change your name from "senior smoke" to "senior moment".

Keep up the good work as it amuses me so!

ss

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Well, Steve, before you throw your elderly relatives out, you might want to check and see if you are in their will..........lol

Hauxfan!

16. senior smoke

Hauxfan:
    If I was in their will I'd be surprised as my luck is normally not good. I should wear a toilet seat with the lid up for a hat as the world is always sh--ing on me.
    Steve

SS:
    I don't have time to look them up. Thanks for the kind words.
    Steve

17. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Be thankful that you have family and friends who feel comfortable coming into your home, invited or not. That says alot about you and your wife. Enjoy family while you have them, life is just too short to sweat the small stuff and one of these days you will wish they were still among the living.

18. FIB

FIB Member

Funny story but I understand your frustration. When my folks lived in Indy (actually Greenwood) years ago relatives and friends would "drop" in on them sometimes unannounced. Once the parents of my sisters best friend spent the night. Now these same people wouldn't give you the sweat off their private parts. As a matter of a fact the women told my Mom as they were leaving "Don't ever think of doing this to us". Some people are just rude.

19. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

Just so it isnt the mother-inlaw,shes the alpha female type,her husband her puppet,Im not,get the picture ??if I like the people,once in while is OK..

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

you must throw a good party! look at it as a compliment: think of all of the things those old folks could have done and all of the places they could have gone on the 4th of july, but they decided to spend it with you instead. buy more chairs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
i have a sisiter that shows up uninvited
inlaws showing up uninvited

relative coming over the uninvited

relatives visiting uninvited
relatives who drop in

uninvited relatives

uninvited relatives at christmas
what to do when people show up uninvited