1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When is shot to expensive?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Cross hair, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cross hair

Cross hair TS Member

The easy answer is shot is to expensive right now!! My question is at what price do you refuse to buy anymore? I was just told our local supplier was at $37.00 a bag. $28.00 was hard for me to deal with but I opened my wallet and paid the price. I will not pay $37.00 dollars a bag! Maybe a month long boycott would bring prices back down. Does anyone know what percentage of lead shooters account for in the world market? Is it enough to give us some leverage? Cross Hair

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I was at Gander Mtn. Friday and shot was $39.99 a bag, I won't pay that, They had Federal top gun targets shells for $3.79 a box I can't reload that cheap.

4. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

It is already too expensive,

I have quit buying shot, and will give registered shooting a rest for now.

I will probley shoot several days at the Grand but I have those targets covered with my current supply of shells.

There are other things to do this summer.

my .03 cents,

ed.

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys...

You better get use to it. Lead has gone from less that $1 a pound to $1.30+ in the last 60 days. The current price at this writing is $1.32 whch means that the lead alone in a bag of shot $33.00. Add to that the cost of dropping, Bagging and shipping plus the antimony you can see that $40+ a bag is here. I am buying ammo and stockpiling. It will be a long time before lead is back to below $25 a bag if ever.

TB

6. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

recob shooters supply in prarie du sac wisconsin is selling #8s for 29.45 a 25lb bag, predicitions is that cheap trap loads like diana, and federals will be up to $65.00 a case by oct. I guess I will have to come out of retirement and go back to work but who will hire a 70 year old man

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

24str8 - "At $30 v. $15 per bag with 1oz loads the cost of shot is .0375 cents different and adds $1.00 per box. (Using 1oz for simple math)."

Good point. That makes me feel a little better. I guess I can afford $1/box more, for a while at least. But I'll cut back some even at that increase.

But if it goes long-term, or gets worse, I'll cut back seriously. Folks will cut back in different ways. I'll probably cut back mostly on the social shooting, practice, and small tournaments, and save my ammo budget for the serious shooting.

But how much of a cut-back can the clubs, and gun shops take before they go out-of business, or raise prices then go-out-business?

This will hurt shooting volume, and participants, and new entries. And all those will percolate thru the shooting economy in way that will likely accelerate a downward trend.

I see bad times a'coming if this is long-term.

But I've been in this funk before. And as Jim Brown (the puller) noted, prices did come back down...part-way.

8. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

The cost of recovering and mining lead hasn't gone up much, if any, in the last year. Consumption has gone up a bit. Nearly all of the dramatic price increase over the past few months is speculation...gambling, if you will, in the futures market. We probably haven't seen the top yet. We'll know the end of speculation is at hand when we see price moves both up and down, of 10% or 25% on a single day.

I remember in the 1980s when speculators drove the price of silver from $4/oz to $50 in a few months. The speculators finally ran out of money, or guts, grabbed some profits and ran. Silver came right back down to reasonable supply/demand prices.

How high will lead go before it breaks? I don't know. It could be soon, or it could briefly reach prices that are hard to imagine...$2, $3, $4, $5.

It was once said that copper could never go above $1.55 because there are 155 pennies to the pound, and all those jugs of pennies out there would get melted. Copper's now...near $3.50?

I'm playing the lead market...buying all the shells I can find @ $4 to $4.50/box. What's the worst that can happen to that gamble? Lead falls back to $.20 and shell prices drop to $3.60? I'll take that risk.

9. shoot2win

shoot2win TS Member

In a pipe dream - it would be great if "us" shooters could find a saviour of sorts, such as ALL of the reloader mfgs., along with ALL of the component mgfs. to get into the lead mining/refining and shot output production to satisfy the shooting sports and only the shooting sports, with all greed for the fast buck put aside. It would benefit all of the folks who make shotshell reloaders, all folks who produce powders, all folks who produce wads and all folks who produce primers, not to mention that us shooters could continue to shoot at the same level of activity as we were when shot was $11 - $12/bag - which would help to insure that no gun club would be closed due to shooter decline.
    You could call it looking out for your future - and all of those industries that I mentioned should have been working on that 2+ years ago.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm still shooting reloads with lead that cost me $12.50 a bag, but that is about to end. The cheap new shells are on the way out also. A year or so ago I was purchasing "Gun Clubs" for right at $3.10 a box, that supply ended also. "Guns Clubs" at that store are now $49.50 a flat. What shocked me was what they wanted for new AAs - $7.99!!!!! I asked the store rep if that was correct and he said it was, last week they were $6.99!!!

Last week I went to the club to shoot some pratice. I sat up the wireless voice releases and shot by myself. I shot 4 - 25 bird rounds in about 25 to 30 minutes. After I shot, I got to thinking what that pratice would have cost me if I had to buy new shells at last weeks low price of $6.99 a box. Targets were 3 dollars a round. That little 25 minute pratice would have cost me over $40. Dam this is crazy.

I guess I'll stop shooting pratice, doesn't seem to help anyways. I don't know what I'll do when my $12.50 shot runs out. I'll admit it, I'm a tight ass. I just can't see myself forking over $40 for a bag of shot.

11. flylta

flylta TS Member

Concrete did the same thing a little while back and it took a year and it came back down most of the way but since they keep over inflating gasoline prices the shipping cost have gone up. Once the world market spikes, which hopefully will happen soon it should come back down.

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Black Diamond was shut down by OSHA not the EPA. I looked at their books and equipment when it became for sale. I think they were flying under the radar of the EPA. An employee, who wouldn't wear his respirator, tested high on lead and his doctor notified OSHA. According to BD, they had little if any inventory. Quality suffered at the end I have been told.

What amazes me is how many clubs never or rarely get mined. I think this plays into the anti guns and EPAs hands as the clubs have no plan to remove the lead. Several small clubs have been shut down by wealthy neighbors who bought acreages near the clubs and filed suit because of noise. These clubs were closed but never mined. During a rain delay at a youth shoot, we figured one youth shoot put an additional 5 tons of lead on the field that day. This was NOT a state shoot or a major event. Some clubs could mine for the first time and others could mine more often. I guess with the price of lead soaring, I don't understand why more lead is not reclaimed.
    Last price increase for lead was followed in 2 weeks with price increases for cheap shells. When you are using 1.125 ozs of lead in cheap shells, they have to go up someday too! Now if I could just remelt some of the lead in my butt. IMHO Omaha

13. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

Still going up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.