1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When is it time to spend big $$$ on trap gun??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gasman03, Jul 14, 2013.

1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Just throwing this out there. Is there $10,000 difference if the performance of say a $1,000 BT-99 to a $11,000 P-gun? At trap shoot that have vendors my son and I look at the guns for sale like everyone but I wonder is there that much difference? When do you know the time to spend that kind of money on a gun? Rite now he is shooting a 682 gold E combo and shoots it very well to. (AA27AA) Is it shoot what you can afford which we do. Is it a show and tell piece to have $$$ gun? Is it if you got the money spend the money?

Corey

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

AA27AA why the hell would you change a thing?

SW

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

When his endorsement deals come in.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

When and what he said above; BigM-Perazzi.

Hap

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I just happen to know where there is a really nice MX-2000/8 top single combo for a good price ... The gun has not been shot much since new, I am going back to my TMX because I don't shoot doubles or anything that requires two shots ... P/M me for pictues and information ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. JJ Refinishing

JJ Refinishing TS Member

Don't let it get it in your head that a more $$ gun will make you a better shooter. I shoot a remington 31TC made in 1948 and will go against anyone out there.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

There are differences in the lower priced and high end target guns. Most medium priced guns those under a few thousand will probably work well for an occational shooter. If you plan on making money shooting which is unlikely for most a high end gun may provide more reliability.

Shooting better is a function of equiptment tuneing and ammo. Lessons and practice are usually the best return on investment for your scores; gunfit should not be overlooked.

Modt P and K guns hold there value or depreciate very little something to keep in mind when going over $5000 for a gun.

Shoot well
    Joe

8. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

When I have one for sale. LOL I say shoot what hits em!!

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Buy an identical 682 Gold E, make the stock and receiver the same. This way he's ready for what ever can go wrong.

Phil Berkowitz

10. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

If it is not broke, don,t fix it. just saying !!!! Joe joe90t

11. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

When you do not want the next husband to spend your money.

12. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Well the one thing that nobody above said is....shoot the different guns and see which one works best. Your son will know which one feels right when he shoots it.

Don't feel that you have to buy new either. You can buy a used Perazzi/K80 combo for significantly less than list price.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You will know when the time is right, its instilled in clay target shooters to know things like this ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Bob M

Bob M Member

I went to the K-80 combo when I also went to a release trigger. I was shooting a borrowed K-32 with releases fairly well and was talking to a local smith about putting releases in my beloved Remington 3200. The previous year, I had broken a cocking 'ear' and she was at Pat Laib's in Minnesota for a few weeks. Scores shooting the 870 went in the tank. Not Mr. Laib's fault, Pa and Minn just are not close.

The local gunsmith asked me what I did for fun. I shoot trap. He said, 'You are three hours from Ottsville, shooting a K-gun well, only in your mid 30's, going to release, and trap is the only thing you do for 'you'. Get a Krieghoff if you can.' I couldn't argue with his logic and 'Vera' and I have been together since then.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Joe G., I'd wager that more money has been won with a model 12 Winchester shooting trap than any other??

A fitted stock to the shooter means more than the name stamped in a shotgun regardless of costs!

HAP

16. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

I started shooting a Browning xs and went to a K80 and the difference is huge. The fit, finish and feel are second to none. Plus I'm 30 mins from ottsville if I ever need anything, their customer service is second to none.

I went for the best when I could afford it, I looked at it as why spend the money tinkering with guns for a while, go to the top and dont look back.

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you don't have the cash, it's too soon. ;-)

Bob Falfa

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Hap your right I would say that a Citori that fits is way better than a high dollar gun that doesn't fit but looks good.
    Joe

19. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't change anything unless you feel it's necessary to change guns. The high end guns are a great value used because there is great demand for used quality guns. You can get your money back if you decide to switch to another. I would never get rid of the present gun unless it sits 5 years and never used again. Don't fall into the trap of trading in guns only to find the next one sucks on the scoreboard. That cycle is costly and very bad for your scores. If you have the money buy a used but clean high end P Gun, K Gun or L gun and see if it gets you the extra target per hundred we all strive for. If it does never look back and spend your money shooting it. My 2 cents.....Duane

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

When you can afford it...and that being said, get the gun fitted to you and take a clinic or 2 to get you on the right track...

Search tags for this page

how to afford a trap gun