1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When is it time to see a gunfitter?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I've been shooting trap since March 2009. I started off with a Remington 1100 and just bought a Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays. I like the feel of the Citori - seems to move well to the targets. My scores range from 15 to 23.

Just curious if and when I should see a gunfitter?

What are examples of some of the modifications that can be made to the gun?
    What questions should I ask in selecting a gunfitter?

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. brokendownbob

brokendownbob TS Member

I also started shooting this year and had only ever broken one 25 straight.
    I upgraded to a bt-99 plus and the first thing i did was took it to a gun fitter. I already had a butt plate that could be canted but i also wanted to be able to drop it. Now that i have had my gun fitted, Ive had more 25 straights and even a few 50s.

Some of the things that you could have done to your gun is an adjustable comb, and adjustable butt plate. I can tell you that the gun fitter was money well spent.

3. soup

soup Member

GO TO A GUNFITTE RIGHT AWAY. Whatever you INVEST with him is money you won,t waste on missed targets . Plus you will now know it is something you did -not the gun.

The best money I ever INVESTED-NOT SPENT -on my shooting was with Joe Goldberg (aka gunfitter ) here in NJ. And when I get a new gun he will either be informed ahead of time -or be with me-and my next stop will be his shop for a fitting.
    BILL

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Now.

Now would be a good time.

5. glenns

glenns Member

Fred - "...go find the craftsman bill said."

??

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Now is always a better time than later.. but I will warn you.. Find a gunfitter who you can speak with.. understand.. and like.. The results of his work can last longer than many marrages..

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

There is only so much that a gun fitter (or anyone) can do with a factory stock. Even if it has an adjustable comb and butt plate.

A true gun fitting will involve the making of a completely new stock. A gun fitter could get you closer to the ideal quicker with your given stock, but it will always be a compromise.

I'm not sure how much a fitter would charge to "set up" your gun. My fitter charged $400, but that was for a truly custom fit stock (new from the "ground up"). And really, all you are looking for is to get your gun set up.

Considering that you only have about $1,500 invested in your gun, it isn't worth it to spend $2,500 to get a custom fitted stock.

You might be better off taking a clinic. Usually the person conducting the clinic will spend some time on gun set up. You'd then get the benefit of some instruction too. All for about $200 - $300.

8. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I would strongly disagree with V10, as the only difference between a custon fitted stock and an precision adjustable butt plate and comb is that one was made for you at great expense and the other is an economical version of the same thing. My crrent gun is a Perazzi MX2005 that came with an adjustable comb, adjustable rib and as much castoff as I could find to account for my unfortunately large cheek bones. I shot the gun fairly well for 10 months without a fitting, waiting for the top people to come into town during our state shoot. The difference after adding an adjustable butt plate and taking about three quarters of an inch off the stock was the difference between 93's-94's and 98's. It was a different gun, and I was a different shooter. It is truly money well invested and should happen, as Hit said from the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, I love beautiful wood and when I find a gun that I know that I'm going to keep, a custom stock makes for a work of art. If your not there yet, adjustable combs and butt plates are the way to go, or for 1200.00 bucks a precision stock, if you can accept the way it looks.

9. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

a sporting stock is not the ideal stock to shoot trap with, will it work? yes, but you might be better off with a parallel comb like a true trap stock, you could put adjustable comb hardware on, and have a parallel comb made for the gun.

tony

10. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I have found that after one has shot a bit it is time for a fitting. I believe the second best is to have a fitter fit your current stock with an adjustable comb and butt plate. This will give you two of three of the most important components. The third one, the grip, can best be obtained with a custom stock. You could maybe do it with bondo but grip length is harder to change with bondo although it can be done. If one takes this route, the modified stock, with the adjustable comb and butt and grip could be used to help make a better pattern when you decide to have a custom stock made.

One suggestion would be to travel to Wenig and have them make you a pattern that you could then shoot for a while before finishing the custom stock. They charge less then $500 for this and you basically will leave with a custom fit stock for your gun that you can shoot until you can afford to copy it into a nice looking piece. The other would be find out where they will be sending their show trailer and go to the closet shoot and they can do it for you there. I know they are going to the grand. I would call and get an appointment with Bill or Jimmy as both are good guys.

Spending under $500 for a custom fit pattern on a BT99 or similiar value gun will of course be lost when you sell the gun. But I would ask how much would you pay to shoot significantly better scores for the rest of your life or until you trade the gun? I found my scores improved dramatically when I built my first custom stock and now figure the cost in as part of the price when I switch guns. It has the side benefit of making me keep old reliable a bit longer.

Mark Zauhar

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Now is a good time. But you'll need one throughout your shooting career. As your shooting skills increase you'll need further adjustments to match. So finding and sticking with a good gunfitter that knows Trap is key to your success. If your not a competitor, you'll have less fustration. Dave T.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mark
    That is very good advice.

Many "gun fitters" are not that good. Do not confuse a guy who cuts combs and adds butt plates as a "fitter".

I am lucky to shoot with a number of State Team and Hall of Fame shooters. They have a pretty good feel for stock fitting and have helped me a lot. My scores have jumped from mid 90's to just over 98 for the last 800 registered 16's. Ran my first registered 100 at the State shoot with one of the guys who has worked with me. If you can find people like that locally, and you are sincerely interested in shooting well, they will help you at no charge.

Yet, this fall, I will likely visit either Wenig or DeVault. Having a pretty fence post that fits perfectly is on my Bucket List - and I am not getting any younger.

Don Verna

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Glenn,

It's difficult to say how much a good stock fitter/gun ftter could help a particular individual. You noted a wide variation in scores, which suggests that you don't do things the same way each time you shoot - the elements of your shooting form vary (gun mount, stance, body posture).

That may be caused by a lack of knowledge or by stock dimensions that do not fit you and make it difficult to use a consistent gun mount and/or keep your eye aligned withe the rib during swings.

The good stock fitters, in addition to changing stock dimensions to make them fit you, also teach correct shooting form. If you agree to correct your form from the one your present stock dimensions require you to use to a correct form, they then fit your gun to you, using that form. All you would need to do is remember to use it. (Revert to your old form and the gun will no longer fit you.)

The best stock fitters are an excellent investment. Their fee depends on any mechanisms that need to be added (adjustable comb, pad adjuster), the thoroughness of the fitting (the time required) and their level of experience and expertise.

Admittedly based on too little information, I suggest you visit one.

Rollin

14. tj303

tj303 Member

Spend money on instruction/coaching first. Besides most good instructors check for basic good gun fit. After you have developed sound fundamentals then spend money on fitting. Without consistent proper technique you can't expect a gunfitter to get the dimensions right. By the way gunfitters and stockmakers aren't necessarily the same.

15. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

This is really a very good question and it is kinda the what came first? The chicken or the egg?

To get the max results from a good gun fitter, you need a solid repeatable gun mount. To have a solid repeatable gun mount, you need a gun that fits. The advice to get it fitted right now is correct. The advice to take some lessons is correct. At this point in time you really do need both if you are serious about shooting.

An instructor gave one the best fittings I've had. A fitter gave me the best shooting lesson I ever had....you can learn from both. You know, it's only money. If you keep shooting, you are gonna spend money. So the real question is how many targets do want hit?? Either route should net a few more birds. Do both and do better.

16. trappug

trappug TS Member

As soon as you take that new gun out of the box

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd consult a knowledable coach and have him observe your form and fit. The stock fitter can help a lot, but only if you are doing what you should be doing. The sooner the better, before you learn bad habits. I have found that videos can help me a lot. It's easier to see what you are doing wrong by using a video for observation. Slow motion helps to see if there are stock/gun fit problems as well. Did I mention that you need to check the POI of your gun and maybe shoot ten patterns or so at around 35 yards to get an idea of where your gun shoots? A good coach or stock fitter can help you with that if need be. Help is available and it's in any quantity, as long as you have deep pockets. :) Just remember, when you pay someone to hack off some wood and add hardware, it's not always easy to undo it if it does not work. Sometimes a second opinion is a good thing, and sometimes it's just confusing. You decide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.