1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHEN IS IT TIME FOR A RELEASE???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rico46, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Ladies & Gentleman,

Around last summer I started to flinch. It seemed to happen about one out of every 25 shots. I started wearing more padding in my shoulder and shooting one ounce loads but it has seemed to worsened through the year, I recently shot at the Central Grand. My flinches increased two to three times per 25 even with additional padding. Many times I can still get off a shot and hit the target but the target drifts so far before I shoot. As you can imagine its nerve racking to shoot like that. Most recently, I lost our club trapshooting championships by flinching in a shoot off that caused me to shoot so late and miss the target.

I currently shoot a K-80RT and I use Federal one ounce loads. Like I said I increased the padding in the shoulder to no avail. Anyone have any additional ideas before going to a release? If not, those that currently shoot a release who would you recommend for the release? Thanks

Rick Brohmer

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Archers have a fabulous exercise to get rid of "target panic" (flinching) - it is called bling bailing. Sadly such a technique is not available for shooting.

You have two choices.

1. A PFS.

or

2. A release.

My son's coach uses a PFS AND a release. He's got it all covered.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

probably after you have at least tried 7/8 oz loads.

bill

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Flinching, as you describe it, is NOT CAUSED BY RECOIL. That concept is TOTAL BS. You are doing exactly what I was doing before I got a release and I am totally insensitive to recoil, in fact, I rather enjoy it. I shot 3 dram 1 1/8 before getting the release and the same shells after. Guess what? No flinches. You think that if that type of flinch was subconciously caused by recoil, that rather than not pull the trigger I would now not be able to let it go?

The release has helped me go from low B to high AA. Quit losing targets and losing competitions. Get a release and commit to using it. Take the sticker that comes with it and put it on you hip pocket and when someone says that crap about release triggers being bad, tell them to kiss your sticker.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Rick, you ask "When is is time to go to a release"?

I'd say you have arrived at that time in your life.

Hauxfan!

6. spritc

spritc Active Member

It is past time! Get a release and go enjoy your shooting again.

Steve

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have close to 100,000 registered targets. I don't mind recoil, in fact I shoot a 338 magnum from the bench for fun.

One day, last year, at my State Shoot I flinched. It wasn't the first time but it was an important flinch since I ended up with a 99 instead of 100. The next day I did it a number of times, recovering enough to break a 97 with multiple flinches. Some of the target breaks were way out there. I was miserable to say the least.

I thought I wasn't seeing the targets properly since I was tired. I now dreaded the next event. A friend who is very large grabbed me and marched me to the practice trap where he took the trigger out of my Perazzi and inserted his release trigger. I missed the first target and ran the next 49. I haven't looked back and now enjoy shooting with a release.

Try and find someone who can lend you a trigger or a gun with a release and try it. The adjustment period is minimal and it's an easier way to shoot.

My experience and data point.

Good Luck!

Jerry

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Flinching from recoil is different than the type of flinch where you ride the target and can't pull the trigger. Recoil flinch is a tensing of the body in anticpation of the recoil not the inability to pull the trigger. To experience the difference, have someone load the gun for you at the patterning board but at random put in a snap cap. You will then understand that recoil anticipation flinchis not your problem.

As to what causes the target ride flinch, I suspect that there is some kind of visual disconnect with the target where the subconcious nerve signal to fire is interrupted. However, the cause doesn't matter if the release trigger eliminates it.

If you want to waste time screwing around with everything from weenie loads to voodoo dolls so be it. If you want to get on with shooting better scores, get a release.

Above, you have a testimonial and current avearges from Terry Bilbey who is one of the best shooters in the country. In that SBray seems to be discounting my opinion, perhaps he would care to share his ATA yardage and average on say his last 500 targets with you so that you can more fairly value his opinion. Mine is 27 and 99.4.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Rick; Sounds like you are ready. I have a factory done release in my K80 and would recommend them.

Don

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Most flinches have a direct cause. Any of the causes can be corrected by a release. Get a well known gunsmith to do the work. I was told 40 years ago to learn a release, get a case of shells (500) and go the the practice trap. When the shells are gone your there. I shot, should say tried to shoot, with a man @ the N.J. state shoot 10-12 years ago. His flinch had gotten so bad he could no longer set the release.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

First get rid of the RT as they are very difficult to install a good release!!

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rico46- It does sound like you are ready for a release.

Several different things can eventually cause a flinch including recoil, not seeing the target, too light or heavy trigger pull,etc. The cause of the flinch problem is not as relevant as a cure for the problem. The common cure is release trigger for singles and handicap and a double release for doubles.

Terry Bilbey- With the averages you posted above, you are clearly leading the entire ATA in singles, doubles and high all around. Congratulations.

Pat Ireland

13. oleolliedawg

I've been watching shooters for over 45 years and I'm still unable to see what makes them flinch. Even if I removed the top of their skull -no, I'm not a brain surgeon- I seriously doubt I'd have an answer, but that is likely where the answer lies.

Flinching seems to be related to some sort of anxiety reaction, among others. This does not answer the problem of flinching I've encountered in brand new shooters. Neither does this entirely answer the problem of set flinch, which is encountered by many older release trigger shooters!!

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Steve,

Generally, your comments on a wide range of topics on here are very well informed and I am sure helpful to many of us and I respect you for them. However, while there are several tonics offered to cure flinches, the release trigger is the gold standard. Further, why people develop a flinch after years and even decades of shooting a pull trigger is a mystery. What, their guns didn't recoil 20 years ago?

Trying to find a cause and then trying a cure to fix that cause is a waste of time. This is what Terry was referencing when he said he started to flinch and the next week he was shooting a release. This is a guy who is in the CA HOF, multi grand slams, owns one of the most successful ranges in the country and yes, has seen it all in trapshooting. He immediately recognized the problem and knew exactly what the fix was.

In short, if you start flinching, go to the gold standard fix and get your scores up.

15. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Gentlemen, thank you for your advice, your suggestions and general comments. I used to think my flinch was not seeing the target coming out but I'm seeing the target good enough to ride it out and then finally hit it on the way down! I know my eyes lock up the target or I wouldn't be able to break them. But it starts to take a mental toll on me. As I suspected its time to make the change to a release! I have the ability to shoot much better but until I rid myself of this problem I'll never improve. Thanks

Rick Brohmer

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I think you need to inorder to keep up with your friends. Good decision.

Don

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

Release should be the absolute last resort. Releases have been banned in International shooting and it could happen here. Both Perazzi and Baretta testified against them at the ISSF Shotgun Committee.

There has to be another way.

TB

18. oleolliedawg

tbaber,the bunker shooter committee likely will ban trips down the deodorant aisle at American supermarkets in the future.

When you find another cure for flinching please keep us posted. I'm sure the foreign element, you speak so highly of, are working diligently on this issue.

Funny how this brings up an interesting story. A friend of mine who is quite Irish, recently returned from a Trapshoot in his native country. He was rather amused by some of his fellow shooters who nearly walked off the post while trying to pull the trigger. Since he was the only shooter on the grounds shooting release, he was quite the curiosity object.

So you see, even foreigners-FLINCH!!

19. nipper

nipper TS Member

What is your option going to be if the release trigger does not solve the problem??

Bill

20. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

TBaber,

If you are the T Baber in FL with the 81.38% Singles average, perhaps you should try one. But if you find "another way" that you can sell for $49.95, post it up ASAP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.