1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When is it allowed to request a trap be reset?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

At a shoot last week the first 15 squads had absolutely beautiful targets. NO wind etc. Then the storm hit and it was 40 MPH head winds at the targets. They were not SLIGHTLY high they were insane straight up shots. To the point some came back and hit the house. Shooters were not taking those shots as they were wildly rediculous. So this brings me to my question. After I looked through the rule book it states you can ask for a machine to be re-set but at the managment discression.

In this case the squad had already started there round. I would ASSUME you have to wait until a fresh round and ask for a reset or target check only between rounds??? also can this be done by any line shooter or only team captain? If targets are wildly illegal can you bow out before the shoot and no take them as loss's?

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Any shooter may ask for the targets to be reset at any time. Illegal targets are illegal and none of them have to be shot at. So, it is to the shoot management's benefit to reset the targets whenever a shooter asks. Otherwise, the shooters can just stand there and call for target after target until they get one that's legal. That would waste a ton of targets.

3. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Active Member

This question comes up a lot.

Any member of the squad can ask for a reset at any time . . . no matter if you've already started the round or not. You don't have to be the "team captain" (I assume you mean "squad leader") to ask for a reset . . . as I said, any member of the squad can ask. And it makes no difference if prior squads have already shot, or what the conditions were like for them. If you feel the targets need to be reset, just ask.

But as you said, it's at management's discretion. They can agree or disagree with the request.

"Bowing out" is a separate question. There are several scenarios. Check the rulebook. Examples:

- If you withdraw from an event before firing a single shot, you do not suffer 100 lost targets on your scorecard. (Whether or not you get your entry fee refunded is another matter).

- If you withdraw in the middle of an event, it depends on whether circumstances were beyond your control or not. "Beyond your control" would be something like broken gun, dangerous lightning in the area, illness, power failure. In these cases, your score will be reported only for the sub-events you actually completed. On the other hand, if you've completed two sub-events (50 targets), and then just drop out 5 targets into the third trap because you simply don't want to shoot anymore, then you will get 20 zeroes on the score sheet (since you voluntarily did not complete the third sub-event).

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Sorry yes squad leader not team captain..

5. Shawn

Shawn Member

"Should a trap be throwing targets that, although not necessarily
    illegal, appreciably vary from trap to trap, any shooter may request
    that management reset the trap even though prior squads have shot.
    The final decision as to whether or not a trap is to be reset will be
    made only by shoot management."'

Any shooter can request a reset at any time.
    If a target is truely illegal you are not required to shoot it.

Shawn

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

when the conditions get so bad, that targets were coming back and hitting the trap house. How would you ever expect to get the targets reset?

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

When did the rules change? Used to be that only COMPLETED sub events were scored. If you shot 77 targets and got sick or your gun broke, or for some other reason you were UNABLE to complete the event,only the first 75 were scored.

Ed Yanchok

8. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Active Member

Ed Y: I don't know if (or when) the rule was ever changed. But, as I said in my earlier post, the key is whether circumstances were beyond the shooter's control, or whether the shooter's withdrawal was "voluntary". Here's the text of the rule:

"When a contestant voluntarily withdraws from, or is otherwise disqualified, and takes no further part in a sub-event after having fired at 1 or more targets of a sub-event and does not fire at all the targets in the sub-event, the referee/scorer shall rule all targets not fired upon “LOST” targets and they shall be scored and reported accordingly.

When the shooter is prevented by reasons beyond his/her control from completing a sub-event, the scores for that partial sub-event shall not be recorded or reported. Example: shooters have shot 61 targets of a 100-target event when a storm permanently stops shooting. The management should report the scores for the first 50 targets only.

9. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Ed

The rule was not changed.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Everything is in the rulebook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.