1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When is choke too tight ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Is there such a thing as too tight a choke ?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Only if it degrades the pattern. Not all guns like super tight chokes. Some grind'em harder with more choke, some I have had start chipping with XF.

My Blaser is the former. More choke? More smoke!

3. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello,

We hear about a full choke 30 inch pattern at 30 yds, this image is 40 inches at 40 yds, ok fair enough, what diameter do you want your shot cloud ?

How far away are you standing when you break the target ? Do we want the same
    choke at the 16 yd line that we use from long range ?

[​IMG]

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Neil Winston posted some results that showed that chokes as tight as .050-.060 continued to produce tighter patterns, despite current thinking on the subject. Worth searching here and digging them up...good read.

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

If you don't put it on paper you'll never know where you are. If you mess around on paper too much you'll get yourself confused. Some shells will pattern differently. If you reload this will help. Your reloads will be better than any promo junk out there. More consistant and better shell, better components and for less money. I do believe the high quality shell produced better AA's, Nitros, STS's than promo stuff. But, most guys are trying to duplicate that with their reloads.

I fell there is more to it than changing tubes. Just go put some 30" circles on cardboard slip sheets and play with your tubes. I think you'll find shot shell consistancy is not gonna be like bench rest shooting your deer gun but, you will be surprized that there is and will be holes.

I head game will kill you.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When the end of the barrel comes off when you fire the shot. HMB

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

hmb that cracked me up

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It depends on shot size, bore diameter, tubes if relevant, and remotely ammo. If you want to make it simple, stay under. 042. If your energetic, hit the pattern board.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You need only enough choke to break targets consistently. Any more than that is too tight.

Keller

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have mostly used Remington 870's for trapshooting through out the years. I do extensive patterning, as the trap 870 barrels were usually .042 choke.

I do have a standard 870 TB barrel that is .045 choke though. The way a barrel hits a target is difficult to predict as I have seen some barrels with very tight constrictions throw some great patterns.

An all American once told me something that till this day is difficult for me to understand. I had asked him if I would be better off using a modified 870 choked barrel compared to a fixed full choke barrel?

He said and I quote "I have seen numerous shooters shoot 870 barrels both modified and full choke. If you are a beginning shooter I feel your scores will go up with a modified choked barrel. But, if you are an experienced shooter your scores will mostly go down using the modified barrel, compared to a full choke barrel".

I asked him how can that be? He said I know it sounds strange, but that's what I have seen through out the years. He said he could not explain it either, but that's what he has seen in running a gun club.

When asked how tight a choke should a 27 yard shooter use, he said find the tighest choke you can find. When asked what size shot to use from 27yards, he said hard 7 1/2's. He said there is a reason why the ATA allows no larger than 7 1/2's.
    Steve Balistreri

11. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I have a Briley XF choke that throws the prettiest pattern I have ever seen. Seems like I remember that they claim it to be a .35 Don't know why you would ever need a tighter choke. Martinpicker

12. verypoor

verypoor Member

look at what comes back from Wilkinson. right around 35 thous.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

From Pheasantmaster's shooting numbers and success over the years, I'd listen to his advice.

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Dr. A C Jones has many studies of effective patterns that pretty much verify the earlier work of Roger Giblin. In those studies Giblin came to the conclusion that the most effective chokes were those that produced a 75% - 80% pattern in a 30" circle at the distance you break the target. For my own shooting I use 32 yards for a 16 yard choke and 42 yards for a handicap choke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable chokes too tight

is a 40 tousath choke to tight for trap

shooting a tight full choke for 16s trapshooter for a quick shooter