1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When friends stop shooting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Last night, I was cleaning out an old drawer and I found some pictures of myself and my friends shooting from years ago at area gun clubs. I can not tell you the feeling I had wishing that my friends were still around and shooting with me.

We had a full squad of good old boys who were very competitive and just fun to be around. We all shot together for roughly 30 to 40 years. As we got older, we stopped traveling to far away shoots, and stayed closer to home to compete.

A few years later, we just shot ATA tournaments in the Southeastern Milwaukee area. Soon afterwards, one member of our squad passed away, and little by little I was left shooting by myself.

I still see some of my old squad mates but due to age or the cost of shooting, they now have other interest.

When I now go to area gun clubs, I will see a few people that I know from years ago, but I must admit there are a lot of shooters I have never met before.

May I suggest, if any of you have people that you always shoot with, cherish them and the time spent as you might remember these days very fondly once these days are gone. Suggest take pictures, hang them up in your gun room as time certainly fly's by way to fast.

Can any of you relate to what I am saying when friends stop shooting with you for what ever reason, and it is just not the same?
    Steve Balistreri

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The hardest thing for old people to accept is change, but hell they've seen more of it than anyone. Why is that?

Yes it is bad when friends quit shooting and even worse when they die off which is happening way to often.

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

As a certifed old person I will admit to observing change but not particularly bemoaning it. Friends from all walks of life come and go. The problem is that as we get older we don't do things that allow us to meet new people and eventually it's just you and me.

Be good to your kids. One day they will be the key to your comfort and tranquility.

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Steve,

Here's an idea. Rather than bemoaning the loss of old friends, which we really can't do anything about, how about making some new friends? Become friendly with the 40 to 50 year old shooters at the club. They would probably welcome the friendship and knowledge that you could provide.

Hey, it's tough accepting the fact that we are getting older. If I were 30 again, it would be great and I could make some new friends of a similar age and we could start over again......... but unfortunately that isn't going to happen. Make the best of it.

Call your old friends if they're still living and invite them out to the club or to a restaurant for lunch. You could reminisce about old times.

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Yes Steve, I can relate to what you are saying!

milt

6. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Loss is painful. The only thing good about it is that one day a happy memory or chuckle will just mysteriously come to the surface. My Mom's father was a country doctor and he used to say that Our Lord had done a real good job when he planned the beginning of life(as in 9 months almost to the day from the laying of the keel, the ship is launched), but he hadn't done so hot in managing the end of our lives. He used to say "Life is for the living."
    I hope he was right.

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm in the same boat, Old friends that shot almost every weekend are gone now. I think of them always, They are in my memories. Great fun lots of laughs, and good friendship. Trapshooting has been good to me.

8. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I think what Steve is saying is very important. As a young man, I was told that as one gets older, friendships will become increasingly important. They begin to replace family who become involved in their own lives and begin to drift off. Friends provide the kinds of relationships and loyalty that keeps active and interested in activities during the best times of our lives.

My 2 cents.
    John

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

We HAD a group we called the "Shade Tree Gang". We shot every day the club was open. Great memories of a great time. Better to be a has been than a never was. Ray

10. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I can't help but think of a scout song, "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold." I recently caught up with a childhood friend on fb and we have since chatted for hours. Kim

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I know what you mean Steve. I wish I had taken a few pictures 20 years ago of the gang at some of the shoots. Those guys are almost all gone, and the chance to get a picture are gone forever.

If I had to do it over again a camera in the shooting bag would be a mainstay along with glasses, shells, ear plugs, etc...

We learn too late.

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Next time you look around the club and spot a new face, take a few minutes to introduce your self. They'll appreciate someone that calls them by name & you have gained a friend. As time goes on just remembering names becomes a challenge but at least worth the effort.

Big Jack

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

You all make real good sense. Bisi, that camera idea is a good one. I had a camera with me a couple of years ago and I was in a tournament. I asked one of the owners if it would be ok to snap a picture inside her club house? She said no, and requested no pictures be taken inside her club house. I never asked her why not? Maybe she was storing plutonium???
    Steve

14. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Steve,

I know where your coming from. Most of my old shooting buddies are retired or gone. I had to put my trap shooting aside for the last couple of years because of my crazy work schedule. I had to do the same thing back in '94 because of work. When I started back in '95 all I had to do was show up at the local range and ask around if someone needed a shooter for their squad. I signed up as a back up and ended up shooting the whole league. When I'm able to get back into trap I will probably do it the same way again. I won't be shooting with my old team mates though, I'll be meeting and shooting with new acquaintances.

Joe

15. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I can relate. Seems like I know way too many of the guys that the "memorial shoots" are named for. Knew them well, and miss them alot. With the lack of young shooters taking their place, I would strongly suggest we cherish the times we are having right now with the guys we have to shoot with , right now. Like the song says, "these are the good old days".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.