1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When does the shot exit the wad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rebel Sympathy, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I cannot answer your question, except in a sort of "rough-hewn" manner, to wit:

I ain't puttin' nuthin' gritty in my shotgun. I don't care when the shot leaves the wad.......

Mike

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Wash/rinse the shot in a strainer. Why would you want the grit going through your loader and adding extra weight to your shot charge?

Eric

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

++1 What Mike said!! I not saving a few dollars to run quartz, silica, granite, shale, etc. through my pipe. Most wads have slits in the petals.

Wayne

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use a vacuum cleaner with the narrow tube attachment. It will pick up the light grit and leave the heavier shot there. Then put some in a 2 litre plastic bottle with a teaspoon of powdered graphite and shake well before using. HMB

6. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

seems like an awful lot of work, especially when you realize you paid for that grit by weight. easier just to buy lead and shoot it.

btw...been there done that reclaim game.

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

That crap he showed in those pictures is not what good clean reclaim shot looks like.
    I would not shoot that crap either, but I have been using good clean reclaim shot for many years without any problem with my loader or the bore of my shotgun.
    Bottom line, know what you're buying.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I've read those responses and personally had over a thousand pounds of reclaimed shot so just to satisfy my mind I started dumping 100 pounds at a time in my concrete mixer with one tablespoon of graphite and never found anything in it except good clean shot. I actually watched a guy that was selling reclaimed at Roberson Ranch in Fl get to the very bottom of the barrel and I looked in and did not see any trash like those pictures showed. And just to ease your mind, send me all the reclaimed shot you have and I will take care of it. All of this is not to say some inexperienced folks are trying to sell crap like that but you should check before you buy. Jackie B.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

grntitan: Interesting photos--how the shot column seems to be forming a bell shape by the 3rd frame & definitely by the last frame. Ross Puls

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ross, those pictures are 5 different photos of 5 different wad/shot charges, each taken about a foot farther down the line. Photographed by the Welderman in Mass.. I think that's where he lives?

Hap

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hap,

I got that photo from you quite some time ago. I just remember when you shared it with me I thought it was really neat and explained a lot of my own questions so I saved it. Even though it is seperate photos, it does show the progress of the wad and shot throughout it's seperation. I also am suprised at how far out from the barrel the shot is still in the shot cup.

........................................................................................

Ross,

It does appear in the last frame to be a bell shape. I think it would be neat to see the next 5 frames.

13. Hap MecTweaks

In the first two photos, notice the straight line of gas pressure pushing on the wads base? By the 3' photo, that pressure line has all but dissipated and loses force on the wads base.

The question I have is how did Al Ljutic come to conclude that 3 or so machined cut rings in the end of his barrels would hinder that force? Grabbing the wad and releasing the shot charge "quicker?" Studying the photographs above, I can't see that theory working as claimed. Wouldn't pressure increase somewhat when roughness is encountered? If so, the barrel line base wad pressure in the first two photos may extend even farther out? It would be nice to see this series duplicated using a Ljutic with the rings in the barrels end? Another interesting series of photos might be using the Brileys Helix extended choke tube with the spiral cuts?

Hap

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hap, by the time the charge leaves the barrel the peak pressure has been long gone (relatively, that is). There may be an increase in pressure, kbut not to the levels reached at 20 inches or so.

I'm sure someone has a scope trace showing the peak pressure/time relationship.

HM

15. Hap MecTweaks

HM, I totally understand your point about diminishing pressures all the way down the tube. BUT, there is still pressure there sufficient enough to bulge or burst a tube with blockage? If that's true, why wouldn't ANY roughage a wad/charge encounters also cause a small spike also? Small yet there?

In the above photos, can you actually see the barrel's line of pressure I spoke of working on the wads base and where it quits?

Hap

16. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The sweet feeling of a "deal" on most unpolished, reclaimed shot quickly disappears upon the discovery of barrel damage from said shot.

If it's all that important to save a few $$ on reclaimed, unpolished shot, then consider the poor patterns, wasted entry fees, barrel damage and low scores as a result. You get what you pay for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does the wad stay with shot out of barrel