1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you set your release?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Remo, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remo

Remo TS Member

Just got release triggers in my gun.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I do not have a release trigger, but everyone with whom I shoot who DOES have release triggers says, "just before you call pull."

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Remo..... I have shot releases for many years. I tried it all, setting the trigger before mounting the gun, setting it with the gun open, setting it on the beginning of the mount, etc. What has always worked best, for me, is to mount the gun, set the trigger, and call for the target. This is the method I use, not only because it is more comfortable for me to do, but I also feel it is the safest way to shoot a release trigger....Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I set mine just before I call for the target. It is a good idea to practice with a snap cap in your gun the technique for what to do when you get a broken target. I bring my gun down off my shoulder while holding the trigger hard and then I open the top lever of my break open gun to safely start the ritual over again. You can practice this technique at home in privacy until it becomes routine. The ritual is different if you are using an autoloader or pump gun.

5. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

I set mine as I am pulling the gun into my shoulder and cheek....you get a nice consistant set and your barrel is pointed in a safe direction. Do whatever works best for you.

John

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I set mine as I am bringing my gun back into my shoulder and up to my cheek just as John does. My gun mount and trigger set is done as a single movement.

I do this automatically and never think about setting the trigger.

Pat Ireland

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Just after I mount my gun and before I call for the target.

8. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I set the trigger and put my cheek down tight on the stock at the same time. Been doing it like that for 30+ years. The biggest problem most people have with a release is dismounting and opening the gun without an accidental discharge. You can practice this at home with a snap cap. Larry Evans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.