1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you "set" a release trigger?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Picked up another BT 99 but this one has a Phillips release trigger in it and I have no experience with them. For those who use them, when do you set the trigger; when you mount, after you call for target....? other than wondering about that, the only issue I see is when you have a broken target or bad target and need to remount - would have to practice keeping pressure on that trigger until you get the action open.

rm

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

When do you

If you never shot a release before and don't need one, why in heavens name would you want to keep it that way and shoot it? You'll drive yourself nuts trying to switch back and forth between release and pull until one day you'll forget which you have and...

MK

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

When do you

get a snap cap and practice until you are more than comfortable with it. It comes second nature after a while, but if you haven't learned it well before you hit the line, your squadmates will be more than willing to harass you about your patterning efforts on the trap house.

Bob

4. Trap4

Trap4 Member

When do you

Mount the gun, take a deep breath, set the trigger, then call for the bird--

Trap4

5. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

When do you

Stay with the release for a while--you may like it. Mount the gun,pull into your shoulder,set the trigger,soft focus over the bead then call. Be careful not to release you hand grip on the stock, just relax your trigger finger, keep gun firmly pulled into shoulder.....SMOKIT

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

When do you

get a snap cap and practice until you are more than comfortable with it. It comes second nature after a while, but if you haven't learned it well before you hit the line, your squadmates will be more than willing to harass you about your patterning efforts on the trap house. You can set whenever you like. I prefer just before i call for the bird personally.

Bob

7. Trap4

Trap4 Member

When do you

Mount the gun, take a deep breath, set the trigger and then call for the bird

Trap4

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

When do you

Put a snap cap in and practice the opening with the trigger set over and over just as if you were on the line until it becomes a natural action. Do this every day if you can until it becomes locked into your brain. Your squadmates will thank you. As for me I set as the very last action before calling for the bird. But you need to find the "when" that comes naturally to you and feels the most comfortable for you.

--- Chip King ---

9. SMOKEIT

When do you

Stay with the release for a while--you may like it. Mount the gun,pull into your shoulder,set the trigger,soft focus over the bead then call. Be careful not to release you hand grip on the stock, just relax your trigger finger, keep gun firmly pulled into shoulder.....SMOKIT

10. SMOKEIT

When do you

11. SMOKEIT

When do you

12. SMOKEIT

When do you

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

When do you

Put a snap cap in and practice the opening with the trigger set over and over just as if you were on the line until it becomes a natural action. Do this every day if you can until it becomes locked into your brain. Your squadmates will thank you. As for me I set as the very last action before calling for the bird. But you need to find the "when" that comes naturally to you and feels the most comfortable for you.

--- Chip King ---

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

When do you

I agree with the input by MK. I shoot a release; due to the dreaded flinch. If you haven't the need for this type of trigger; send it to Phillip Crenwelge and he can convert it back to pull. Ed

15. A201

A201 TS Member

When do you

I set after the mount and face weld, I then pause for 2-5 seconds to let my shooting eye settle in focus and call. Roger

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

When do you

+1 for trap4.

Unknown1 should rename to clueless. Many of us shoot releases for the greater trigger control...

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When do you

Greater trigger control? The release trigger has taken control. HMB

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

When do you

Yes, and I love the precision that gives me.

19. releasebob

releasebob Member

When do you

I'm with trap 4,have your gun firmly in place before you set the trigger if you do it sooner and you try to reposition your gun due to a poor mount you have a greater chance of relaxing and releasing the trigger prematurely.BOB

20. releasebob

releasebob Member

When do you

I'm with trap 4,have your gun firmly in place before you set the trigger if you do it sooner and you try to reposition your gun due to a poor mount you have a greater chance of relaxing and releasing the trigger prematurely.BOB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.