1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

when do you get a new vehicle?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Jul 31, 2013.

1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Last week my trusty '06 sierra sprouted the little engine picture on the dashboard. So it's off to the local dealership to find out the problem. After looking at it for a half hour or so, they come and get me from the waiting room with somber looks [of course]. Explained to me that it was an 02 sensor, but "look at all of these other problems". Bad tie rods, leaking power steering and transfer case..and on and on. In all it would have been a couple k in repairs. This truck has 90,000 on it and has been very reliable. I called downstate to the dealership that my son in law manages and asked him his advice. You guessed it,they are shipping a new gmc up to me today. And of course I'm having second thoughts this morning. I could easily have dumped money into the old one and toughed it out for another year or two, but I'm getting oldand I like the security of a new vehicle. When, in your opinion is it time to pull the plug and go for the new one. It really helped that gm was giving back about 14k in rebates on the 2013's[and it ended today]. Bill

2. butcher

butcher Member

It is hard for me to believe a 2006 with 90,000 miles would be in so much disrepair. Its nothing for vehicles nowadays to go 200,000 miles and more.
    Next time get a Ford. I have a 2001 Ford diesel with 190,000 miles on it and trust it to take me anywhere.

3. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I'm on the 10 yr plan. I try to just buy every 10 yrs unless It gets wrecked. I'm sure you will enjoy your new ride. Good Driving.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I keep repairing because I like older trucks. A new one would be nice but would not do anything this one wont do. 169,000 and runs like a new one

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I don't. I think about it from time to time, but when I think about having to pay sales tax, well that kills the desire. I have 4 vehicles, all Fords, 1979,1989,1994 and the new one a 1996 F250. LOL It just burns my *** to give that much money to the government for the privilege of owning a new vehicle.

6. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have an '07 Pathfinder with about 165K on it. Getting time to "think" about a new vehicle. I would have purchased a 2013, but honestly could not find a single one that I liked.

Pathfinders have changed, this year, from trucks to cars and are said to be underpowered. Yuck!

My 2 1/2 car garage is about filled with stuff plus my wife's pick up, so a Pathfinder sized vehicle is about all that I can stuff in it. No full sized pick up or large SUV.

I will see if there's a 2014 that catches my eye, and, if not, hopefully I'll be around for the 2015s.

Bob

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

When my wife says I'm not riding in that old piece of junk any longer. That is generally about 10 years or 150,000 miles.

8. white rattler

white rattler Member

once a year. Nothing like a new set of wheels. Pride of ownership.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

When the wheels fall off the old one. In 50 years I bought 4 new cars. Working on the newest one now, a '99 Ford Taurus with 139k on the clock. With any luck it should last another 50-60k miles. At 76yo and driving about 3-4 k miles a year, a new car is not in the picture.

Eric

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I too drive mine til the wheels fall off. That said, I start looking when I don't feel like the one I own is reliable enough to take to the city anymore. One thing I hate is having to call a wrecker far from home. I also want a vehicle that I feel is reliable and safe enough for my wife and kids when I'm not with them. She has a 2012 AWD and mine is 2004 4WD. Really like my current truck so we may see how far this one will go.

11. missemucho

missemucho Member

The auto market is tight; most dealerships make their money off the service end. The minute you pulled the truck in they started looking for "possibles". It's highly likely that none of the problems they noted are going to become real problems for years if you keep driving at your present rate (13k per year).

Having said that the most important part of your post is that you want the security of having a new vehicle. If you're like me, once that "unreliable" thought gets into my head I'll spend every mile driving waiting for something to go bang. Live is too short to worry about vehicles being reliable.

I'm about to take our 2005 Honda Odyssey 2000 miles across country for the the 6th time (124k overall) and I have no doubt it'll make it with no problems. And next year I'll pass it on to my daughter and her growing family and buy another Honda. I have no doubt that it'll last them another 10 years at the rate they drive.

John

John

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Like Mixer, a new car isn't in the cards for me. At 70 yrs. I don't need one.

Besides, I like the older rear wheel drive cars, of which you have just a few choices today.

A few hundred now and then for repairs beats a car payment IMO.

My wife is looking at new cars for her future retirement.

Jokingly, I suggested a new husband which was followed by not so nice looks.

Regards....Gerald

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Bout every 10 yrs which relates to about 150k on the odometer.

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I bought an old Iowa DOT truck with 93,000 miles on it>It had a 307 cid engine. I drove that truck till it had 238,000 miles on it. Water pumps and alternators a time or two is all other than those pesky electric fuel pumps. The fellow who bought it had it for 5 or 6 years more, but I don't think he put too many miles on it. Still ran well, but got so rusty the doors and tailgate wouldn't shut properly.

15. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

2006 and 90k miles is WAY too early to be rid of a Truck. The first problem was taking it to a "dealer" FIND A GOOD MECHANIC!!! Stealerships will be a fast way to lighten your wallet.

The embedded cost of a vehicle is the difference between what you own and what you buy [cost] and the amount of time you keep it.

If you have A.D.D. your will be a slave to a much reduced bank account.

GS

PS I am glad there are people who buy new....but it is also the worst type of purchase one can do in their lives.

PSS The dealer you took your truck too may have been trying to change your Blinker Fluid too..........

16. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have bought my LAST new vehicle. Find a good car/truck with about 75,000 on the clock and drive that sucker until it wont go another inch. Junk it and get another one.

17. steele

steele TS Member

Usually when I need tires, about 50,000 or so. Butch from Pgh

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

From a purely financial point of view, fixing up the '06 would hve been the way to go. But on the other hand, there is nothing better than that new car smell. Sometimes you just need to indulge yourself a bit. Its about the journey not the destination. Enjoy that new ride and don't give it a second thought.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I don't buy until I experience a truly uneconomical major repair or develop a serious case of distrust about it leaving me stranded,..so far I've been lucky that my last 4 cars (toys excluded)have all went down the road once I got all the miles I needed and was then able to sell for more than actual value...my 04 F350 has 69k on it so it has many more years in the driveway and my 95GMC v6 is my beater at 105k and isn't planning to die anytime soon either

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

thanks Wolfram I needed that. Bill