1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

when do you close your gun when your on the line?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mich746, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mich746

mich746 Member

When do you guy's close your actions when you are on the line? Do you wait until the guy to your left has shot or do you close it before. On a rare occasion I have been reprimanded for closing my gun early. I want to keep the squid's rhythm going but I also need to have my own rhythm too.
    What is considered proper etiquette? As of late I have been waiting to close until it's my turn and then take whatever time I need......it my turn to shoot.
    Your thoughts?

2. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I rack mine when the guy on the left of me shoots.

Never had a problem with them cranky trap guys.

Take your time when it is your time to shoot, do a dance, turn around three times, and wait for them to tell you.....

Anyways, do your deal and shoot.

Plus the three spins will seal the deal-- Sponge Bob has verified it, just ask Patrik, the fat pink guy. If you look hard, he is easy to find. He is a fat
    starfish and he lives under a rock.

All in all. Good shooting

Kenny U

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

when the shooter before me has fired.

4. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

When I'm shooting any of my 1100's, I close the gun when the 2nd guy from me has a target in the air, therefore not tripping the trap with the "clank" of the action. When shooting any of my break-open guns I still close it at the same time (2nd guy from me) as it has become habit to do that. I have no objection people closing anytime after shooting...if someone does something unsafe, the squad members will castrate him on the spot...not a pretty site. In any case there is no rule when to close your gun. Be safe and don't trip the trap with an auto or pump.

Larry

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Larry is right, there is no rule against closing it anytime you want. Keep it pointed down range, and don't disrupt the rest of the squad. Mark

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Just before I call for my bird...

Jay

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As I start to mount the gun.

8. mich746

mich746 Member

Shooting at a new club a few weeks ago I got some grief from a shooter about closing my gun early....I really think he was the self-appointed range master and one of those guy's that couldn't go through the day with-out saying something to somebody.....but it got in my head and killed my scores.
    Don't want that to happen again.

Clearing your head will be a subject for another post

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If I close my gun early, I'll have to hold it and wait for my turn.

I close the action on my O/U while I bring the gun up to mount. It's a one movement act, all in one smooth action.

When I hear any shooter to the right close action before I shoot, I always check if he is pointing at the safe direction. There're just too many uncertainties what could happen with a loaded, cocked gun with safety off.

10. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I don't mind a guy closing his gun and wait before its his turn but I do have a problem with mounting it before its his turn. Tuesday night league's we have a guy on are 8:30pm trap league mountiing his gun before the guy on left shoots and I am starting to have a little problem with that and its not only me this guy starting to piss off its also starting to piss off the other 3 guys on are league to.

11. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I believe many think it is appropriate to wait until the shooter to your left has completed his shot before you close your gun. It is not a rule.

Case in point. One of the best shooters in the game, male or female, reloads and closes her gun right after her shot. I have watched Nora Ross do this at the Cardinal Center. No one complains.

Another interesting thing she does is to wipe down her barrel between stations with a damp cloth to eliminate the "heat waves" that may distort her view of the target.

I close my gun when I hear the report of the gun of the shooter before me. It seems most squads prefer this ritual. But I am OK with anything that is safe.

Doc

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I close mine when the guy 2 stations to my left fires. I have it down range, do it without a distraction, don't mount my gun early, I'm not causing a safety issue. I've never been reprimanded, and who is going to be the one to do that. It's not against any rules or trap etiquette. I'm not racking a gun or slamming a bolt forward. And even at that if a guy does it while a report is blasted that's not a distraction or unsafe.

The only thing I've been seeing as of lately is with new shooters racking pump guns closed with their fingers near the trigger with the gun pointed down at a concrete pad. To be quite honest I not in the mood to be picking lead shot out of my ankles or calves. I was on a squad once where a guy with a release had one go off muzzle down. That shot went the hell flying.

There are other unsafe acts that go on other than worrying about when an action gets closed. Just try to be conscious of them. Another pet peav when you get these guys who can't keep their feet still. Moving around like they are dancing, or having to take a leak or crap or something. Take a leak in between rounds.

13. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I slide my handle forward and close the action when it's my shot. I do it in one motion as I'm shouldering the gun. Others I shoot with have their own methods. I'm comfortable with whatever works for you as long as proper gun safety procedures are followed.

If there is a new shooter who is unfamiliar with proper gun handling while on the fireing line I will quickly and quietly assist them.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I get irritated when the guy to my right bounces his gun around as I'm preparing to shoot. Just keep you gun still until the shooter to your left finishes shooting.

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

When the guy to my left shoots. Bulge.

16. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Ive heard people close their auto right after another squad member has called for a target, and before they shoot at it. I think this is the rudest thing you could do to a squad mate. Any other time is acceptable, really.

17. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

This is a sore spot with me. It irritates me when someone has to slam their gun shut when I'm ready to call pull. It bothers me to wear blinders,( and I've tried ) but when the next person insists to raise his gun when I'm shooting is down and out rude. What does one have to be in such a hurry? Rules do state, one is not suppose to disrupt others.
    I've always been raised with safety being above all, my hearing isn't the best and when I hear someone close their gun when its my turn, it bothers me to think maybe I went out of turn. It does effect my concentration. My two cents

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

There is a rule in Olympic trap that states you can not close your gun till its your turn to fire. I think it's a good rule that ATA should adopt.

T

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Shoot, open, reload, close in that order right after I shoot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

More importantly, when do you set your release triggers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.