1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When did...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

When did a "case" of shells become a "flat" of shells? I'm assuming they are the same thing.

Same with a "recipe" for a load, which used to be just called a "load" in reloading.

Just curious...
    Bruce

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

A case of shells is 20 boxes and a flat is 10 boxes. IMHO ... Probably came about when people found a case a bit too heavy to pick up. I suspect a load became a recipe when lawyers got involved. Bill Malcolm

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Happened in the mid nineties. A flat is half of the former case. Bulge

4. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

A case of shotshells is 20 boxes = 500.

I am not sure when the flat appeared, but they have 10 boxes = 250.

I stopped target shooting (not hunting) for about 25 years and started again 3 years back. The flat seems to have become popular in the time that I was not buying target shells.

I have seen (purchased) a case of Rio .410 shells in the last 12 months from the local club - that is the first case I have seen in 3 years.

I do hear a lot of people call a flat a case.

John

5. missed some

missed some TS Member

you can't buy a "case" anymore. you can buy 2 flats.

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thanks everyone...

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ya still buy a case of shells, it just holds 10 boxes nowdays.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

capvan in the early 90's(I am not sure if it was 91 or 92 a friend use to sell reloading supplies and shells. At that time I had a 3/4 ton pickup truck he said to me I have 50 cases of AA available to me at a very good price because they are full cases 20 boxes each.

I asked why that made a difference he said they are not made anymore. The manufacturers are only making 10 box cases that are referred to as flats. I drove the almost 50 miles to the company he bought them from and picked them up for him.

He told me at that time that they were the last twenty box cases any where on the East coast of the country. Those full case twelve gauge cases were the last I have seen for sale by a major manufacturer. I have seen they from some of the smaller manufacturers.

BTW that company that I picked up these shells from is/was in Westfield Ma.

Bob Lawless

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The "Why" in my opinion was because the "Case" of shells had become so expensive that it would be relatively easier to attract buyers of shells to mini-cases; thus the flat. Id est a marketing ploy; not much different than reducing the size of the toothpaste tube or box of Cheerios but keeping the price the same.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

BDodd

"The "Why" in my opinion was because the "Case" of shells had become so expensive that it would be relatively easier to attract buyers of shells to mini-cases"

Exactly right Bob There were some other reason all of which were pocket book related for those that made and sold. One that I know of was the case were 52 LBS and the material handling accidents attributed to the heavy weights in the warehouses was a contributing factor.

I do how ever believe sales or lack of was the main reason. It also seem to have paid off in the long run for the Manufacturers.

Bob Lawless

11. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I remember the cases of 20 boxes ----- They (ammo company) went to 10 box "flats" about the same time the fertilizer and feed companys changed from 100 pound bags to 50 pound bags - America got to lazy and weak to pick them up - :)

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I do remember inquiring about the change and was told it had to do with workmens comp. claims due to back injuries. Bulge

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Back in the early seventies when we used to have 500 bird marathons my dad would loan me the rest of the money it took to buy a case of Win. paper Super Targets. Very soft, nice 16yd. shell. As I remember the case was about $50. Wish they were still around.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

14. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Just a side question...

When you are loading/unloading an order of shells, how many flats do you take at a time? I always find myself taking 2 at a time. One makes me think I am a sissy and three always feels uncomfortable. Maybe it is because I was used to carrying a case of shells in the past?

Deep Thoughts - By Jack Handy.

Off to bed.

John

15. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I suspect OSHA had a hand in this. When I was a kid all feed came in 100b. bags and shells came 20 boxes to the case. It seems that the change to the lighter weight per package was simultaneous. Remember the back braces everyone that worked in warehouses had to wear (until they found they were worse than not wearing them)? I would bet it is our nanny state "taking care" of us.

HBT

16. Don S

Don S Member

Seems to me to be an improvement. It is a lot easier to carry a flat than it used to be carrying a case. If the purists and extra strong are offended, they can always carry 2 flats at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.