1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When cabin fever and boredom meets Mod. 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

greetings all, just wanted to share my winter time project with everyone. This is a Mod. 12 thats been sitting in the safe for a couple years that my dad recommended I dust off and have some fun with. This is our family heirloom. Its been in our family for 4 generations. every generation that had this gun added some thing to it. My great grand dad got this gun as payment for a bar tab back in 1921. it was origonally a plain barrel field gun built in 1919. My grand dad used this gun for still card shoots and hunting back in the day. he really didnt get into trap shooting. When my dad got into shooting this is the gun my grand dad gave him to learn with. Some time in the 70's dad sent this gun to simmons and had a 3/4" hi-rib installed. at that time it was the first of its kind as simmons had never bult a rib so tall. Dad also hand made made 2 different stocks for this gun. a standard monte carlo and a thumb hole stock. And now its my turn to have a go at this gun. I had dad turn out an add on aluminum rib that clamps on the existing rib to raise the POI. Next i dug out an old piece of walnut buried in the barn(ironically we have alot of walnut thats been in the family for 3 generations) and went to town on it. Boring out the bolt hole and cutting out the shape and matching it up to the metal. Its a slow process. So far i have about 10 hours invested and this stock is nowhere near finished. Im shooting this gun while i work on it. If i feel something is not right after a night of shooting, I take it home and start taking some more wood off a little bit at a time. And vice versa, I add wood putty/filler if i took too much off. I plan to have this stock painted anyways to cosmetics arent that important to me. Maybe some day I will have some one duplicate the demensions onto an outragously nice piece of walnut. I hope you enjoy. BYG
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Byg
    I think what you are doing is very interesting. I am happy to here that your family has kept this gun, in the family. When you are done I am sure this gun will be a smoke pole. Please kept us updated on your progress. Your stock already looks better than mine.
    Steve Balistreri

3. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

A model 12 was not meant to go out that way.LOL interesting.

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

That IS a bueat Clarke

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

that is too bad, some people could flatten an anval with a paint stick

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Are you related to Joe Kuhn LOL?

Be interesting to see what your final POI is going to be.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You need some raccoons in the picture of you and the gun.

Hauxfan!

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Firewood.

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

How close can you get to the bbl and still see the same thing around it? My answer was about an inch. That's as high as I go now. And Hap got me looking at raising the stock up into MY shoulder pocket a little better. This cut down on my bondo bill.

Credit to BYG for trying stuff out. His answer is going to be different because he's built alot different. You have to try it and see for yourself. All the little things along the way mean something. You push limits and until you go too far, you don't know where those limits are or why they're important.

You're pushing the limits there. Good for you.

How's it shoot?

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've got an old model 31 with a Moneymaker rib that's about 2.5" Kind of looks like yours without the hunk of wood. It's got a very old adjustable comb. Who knows, you may come up with the next Trap Shooting success story....

11. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Keep up the very fine tradition ! Mod 12 are trapshooting Hayday when everyone tote'd a gun to traprange for just some eye sharpening for hunting season all wanted a mod 12 .THATS THE GUN !

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Before I saw you in the picture I figured a giraff was shooting it. How's it shoot like that. How high is your point of impact? Bill

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Nice slippers.

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

May the ghost of John Moses Browning infest your dreams for desecrating one of his finest creations.

15. rd

rd TS Member

John Browning did not design the Model 12. A man named T.C. Johnson did it for Winchester.

16. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Looks like a flying whirlly jig with a butt ugly stock. LOL

17. atashooter

atashooter Member

BLASPHEMY !!

18. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

this gun shoots great. I can adjust the POI from 120% to roughly 160%. this gun moves extremely slow but it is so smooth to the target. I mainly shoot games from the 27 yard line and from there this gun will smoke ball a target with an ounce of 7.5's. Normally i dont shoot 50 bird programs but I decided i wanted to go shooting one day and the only club around that was shooting that day was throwing there 50 bird program. I shot 100 practice targets (50 from the 16 and 50 from the 25) and broke 95 targets, dropping 4 16's and one handicap. in the program i walked away with a 49, the best score I have ever shot in a 50 bird program. I dropped my first target out on the 16 and ran the rest. I still cant figure out how i missed that target and smoked the rest. oh well, i like shooting this gun and im gonna keep playing with it til i get it 100% right. thanks for the comments fellas. BYG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.