1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When are hull splits too bad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revarc, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revarc

revarc Member

During the last reloading session with AAHS hulls, as I was checking them before boxing, I noticed a few (four out of 100) very small splits on the crimped edge. The worst one was about 1/16" long. These hulls were on the 4th load. The others in the batch were fine, and I couldn't see any splits before loading. I put them aside, but thought I'd ask whether these splits are too bad for one more reload.

Russ

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

For me its done with any daylight showing thru a hole or crack. I have a ton of hulls and they are making more as we speak. I try and keep mine fresh looking no matter if its the 1st reload or 10th. The first sign of anything i toss 'em.----Matt

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I load the AAHS hulls also and unlike Matt I load them as long as they will hold a crimp and not leak shot.

Jim

4. DocJim

DocJim Member

What Jim101 said OR when the sides split (not the crimp). I think it's been shown that the shop velocity does NOT suffer with multiple reloads. ..AJ

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If there are splits at the crimp, use them for practice and leave them on the ground.

If there is a split down the side, use an Unloader to salvage the components.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I never saw a good split. HMB

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm with Matt. Nobody at my club saves Gun Club hulls, so I can be picky.

Wayne

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Load them, then trash them. I reload my shells, until I find a pin hole, or see a little light in the crimp area, then load them one more time and trash them. A split in the side other and in the crimp area should be trashed at once.

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

Ok, a little rant.

Once again on these threads, I see the phrase "leave them on the ground".

Why do we promote littering? "Someone" has to pick them up, sometime. Isn't it just as easy to take the fired shell and put it in a pocket, pouch, whatever.

A local club solved this by putting plastic buckets at each shooting position. Now when just I'm getting ready to shoot, the bozo next to me is tossing his spent hull in the bucket. One nut took the opportunity to empty his pockets, where he had put his hulls. "He" was done shooting, but the rest of the squad still had to shoot. I use ear protection that only shuts out the shot and I can hear normally the rest of the time. I think this is important to hear range commands.

Why, oh why, do we keep encouraging this littering practice!!

Rant over, thank you.

cap

10. revarc

revarc Member

Thanks for all your input! I plan on collecting those with small crimp splits, use them at practice, and then toss them into a proper receptacle.

Russ

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

This one made it two more loadings before it split all the wat to the end.

Jim
    [​IMG]

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jim--Why would you even want to push it that much?? I mean hulls are the the cheapest factor of the whole sport. I'll toss a once fired hull in the trash if it don't look or feel right. Why risk having a blooper or jamming your barrel with a split hull? To each his own i guess.---Matt

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well I load all my hulls 5 times no more. Why because if you take a once fire hull and stick your finger inside the hull is the hull still smooth inside.

How about after 5 time if you notice that the hull is getting rough inside(like sandpaper)will the the hull keep degrading as you reload it? As the hull becomes more and more rough inside does it allow gas(energy)to leak by? If so how much does your load speed suffer? How about your patterns do they change as the hull degrades inside? I guess Neil will have to tell us the answer to those question.

Seeing how I don't have the answers I don't take chances so 5 time and gone. However pretty they look on the outside or at the grimp that isn't where the action is. JMO

Bob Lawles

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

JIM101 that hull is good for 3 more loadings w/1 1/2 oz#6 shot w/28 grs Longshot@1260fps.

Just Kidding. Looks like the HS hull, I see the base wad in the split.

Even a slight indication of a sidewall split hull is trash canned.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

There has never been a better time to be a reloader. hulls are free for the taking , at least the non- premium hulls are. Gun clubs load with STS data and hold up for far longer then I would ever load them. I can't remember i loaded a 12 ga empty more then 3 or 4 times. My 28ga empties get shot until near failure and Federal papers I will load to the max ( 3 times) but to reload a plastic hull anywhere near the hull in the photo above is just silly. why on earth would you want to do that with so many hulls free for the asking? to each his own and studies have shown changes in velocity related to hull life and how worn the hull is. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.