1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When and who should get lesson?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

First let me say that I have never shot any trap tournaments, only skeet and sporting clays.

I'm not saying any of this as a type of brag and compared to some of you there is nothing to brag about. I have wanted to ask this for some time but have been hesitant as I seek an honest answer, not some BS that is so prevalant on here at times. I have been shooting all my life but only started trap about two years ago and only get to shoot it infrequently. I average 95 in all guns in skeet and the same from the 16 yd line but low 90's from the 22 yd line. I seem to be able to pick up most any gun, especially auto loaders and keep those averages. I am still improving but it is coming a lot slower now. I said all that to ask this. What would it benifit me to take lessons? Is gun fit really that important or is it just some way for someone to make a living?(Gunfitters, please don't take this as badmouthing you in any way.) Thanks for your honest opinions. I am 5'10" and 185 lbs and feel that guns are made/designed for the average person and I feel that I probably fit in that category. Jackie B.

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I took a day long clinic with Leo Harrison III a few weeks ago & it was the best thing that I have ever done to improve my shooting, not just trap shooting, but clay sports in general. A great instructor like Leo will deal with gun fit, stance, grip, eye position, lots more than just how to shoot a trap target. My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago!

3. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

I think taking a clinic from a good instructor is the best money you'll ever spend trapshooting. In order to help you decide, a number of All-American instructors have videos on the market which may help you decide which instructor will be the best for you.

Most of them travel around the country and conduct clinics before and after the larger shoots. Here in Northern California, Daro Handy routinely holds clinics. I have his video, and it has helped me become a better shooter.

As a successful skeet and sporting shooter, you certainly know how to swing the gun. When you get used to hitting the longer trap targets, the rest of us had better watch out!

Good Luck,

Pat

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The answer to your question is simple. Anyone who wants to learn something should take a clinic form a good instructor.

Pat Ireland

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I liken trap to snow skiing. You need a lesson to either remember the basics or to kick yourself to the next level of competition.

6. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Lessons are a good thing, just beware of the teacher who sizes you up for how many lessons he thinks your good for. There are a few good ones other are there for the money.

A rule of thumb, just because he or she can shoot doesn't mean they can coach. Ask for credentials other than shooting.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They are all in the coaching business for the money.......and there is nothing wrong with that.

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Nothing wrong with making money if they are worth it. Just like eating out I don't mind $100 per person meal but not with McDonald's quality.

9. Shooting Jack

Thanks for your responses. I have wracked my brain just trying to figure out what someone can teach me. I'm not being smart, just very serious. I will have to travel at least 90 miles for some lessons and really don't know who is available in the Jacksonville Fl area or Savannah Ga. I have had opportunity to watch some so called pro instructors and don't want to go there. I do have a friend I shoot with that has helped me a lot but he doesn't push anything on you, it's usually pretty suble. Thanks again for your responses. Jackie B.

10. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Three weeks before the Keystone Shoot I took Chris Vendels course. I have been shooting for the past 19 years am AA and have been AAA for a short while about 5 years ago. Never the less I took Chris's course. One shooter asked me why I took it, my answer I want to get better.
    My scores have gone from 96-97 to 99-100 if it were not for my comb moving and I not finding it until I shot two bad scores my average would be 99.13 not to bad. Is it worth it, God yes. It showed me that YOU CAN teach an old dog new tricks, IF. If you are willing to change your bad habits. I now shoot the target about 50% faster then before. Take a course and come back and tell us what happened. Bernie

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Lead Man is exactly right about trainers. Find an educated, professional trainer, not just a good shot.

A world champion may well be a mediocre trainer. A fair shot can be a world class trainer. Your trainer should be able to demonstrate the techniques they train. Run from a trainer that does not shoot your discipline. Look them up and make sure they are not a fake. There are "coaches" in my area who have never shot a registered target.

Even Tiger Woods has a Coach. The Coach can not outplay him, but can train him to win. :^))

12. Shooting Jack

Thanks Coach, I think you and Leadman have it. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.