1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When a resizing sleeve is beetter than a collet

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Last night I was doing a bit of reloading on my 600 jr trying out new componets. I was using some hi brass federal hulls that I had lying around so they wouldn't get mixed up with other shells. I've always had problems getting these hulls to resize properly in the collet of my 9000. Not so on my 600. It resized the hull properly and had zero issues with the loaded shells fitting properly into the chamber on any of my guns.

ec90t

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ec90t:

A properly adjusted collet is a fine piece of hardware. However, the resizing rings found on Mec 600's, Case Conditioners and Pacific/Hornady 366 loaders are just about fool proof. They never need lubed, never stick, are unaffected by dirt, and spilled shot doesn't get stuck in them. Unlike collet fingers, rings are nearly unbreakable. In the unlikely event a person wears out a ring, a new replacement costs all of a couple of bucks.

Rings are especially good for resizing steel headed hulls before they're run thru a 9000G.

sissy

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Rings have there place but the collet is all that is needed. Just having to pull the case back off the ring is enough to send me screaming for the hills. sometimes a company builds a better mouse trap and the collet is one of those "mouse traps" Lets see I have loaded better then 100,000 rounds on my collet sizers and have NEVER had a problem. I have replaced a few that broke after 15 or 20 years but the time it takes to fix it is a way less then having to pull a case off the ring style sizer after each pull of the handle! Rings are better for Federal Papers but even then I use the collet most of the time , unless I have time to burn and then I may size a few hundred on my old Mec Case conditioning tool. A dab of lube and a blow out with an air hose keeps them running for years. Now.. if you dump a bunch of shot into it you may have to take a pick and pick some shot out of the collet, but who's fault is that in the first place? Jeff

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hey Jeff, glad to hear from you.

I was refering more so the high brass shell where the brass is a little taller than the depth of the collet. I seem to get a lot of rings on these high brass shells using a collet.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.