1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHEN A FELLOW SHOOTER PASSES AWAY!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    A few years ago one of the older shooter's from our club's name appeared in the local newspaper obituary. I went out to the club and a few of us were shocked that he passed away. First question that seems to always pop up when a shooter dies is not how is his spouse doing, but what is going to happen to his guns? There always seems to be someone who has the deceased shooters phone#. Sometimes that person in the dead of night will try to get his guns without anyone else knowing about it, and sometimes this same person will let everyone know that they are attempting to help the spouse out, right!

As we were discussing our friends demise guess who comes walking into the club? No other than the deceased himself. We were all shocked, as we were told that some guy with the same name had died, and obviously it was not him. We told him how some of us were planning to call his wife to get his guns. He laughed, as he said his wife answered the phone at 7am the day his name appeared in the newspaper. A so called shooting friend offered to help his wife sell his equipment because he was concerned. After giving his condolences, he had asked his wife if he could purchase her husbands TM1?

I have seen this happen numerous times before when a shooter passes on to the big gun club in the sky, another shooter trying to get first dibs on guns, reloaders, shot, wads, powder, you name it. One of the most blatant acts of this happening was when a local elderly skeet shooter died years ago. This shooter went to the wake, gave the deceased wife a hug and his condolences, than followed up with the big question, "CAN I PURCHASE YOUR HUSBAND'S MEC GRABBER"?

As a young man, my father told me something that his father told him as a boy living in Sicily. His father told him when there is a Mafia hit, usually beware of the first guy in line at the funeral offering condolences to the wife and family, as that same person either ordered the hit, or did the hit himself. When it comes to shooters who pass away, or even non shooters who pass away, BEWARE of the person who is first in line to offer his help, as they more often than not want something more than just trying to help.
    Do any of you have any stories of this same type of thing happening?
    Steve Balistreri

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

My local ham radio club has a committee set up to deal with just this sort of thing. All of the local hams (and wives) know of this committee. The wife contacts the committee when her beloved passes away and a group of guys does an inventory of the equipment that she wants to part with and comes up with fair prices. It is then put on the market.

Anyone who wants to purchase equipment is also put in touch with this committee by the surviving family members.

It actually works out nice for all involved.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

When my Grandmother died, right after she was buried, my cousin asked my Mother if she wanted to sell her farmette. Bulge.

4. senior smoke

Bulge:
    I can not tell you how wrong this is when someone tries to take advantage of a surviving spouse especially when they are not in the best frame of mind. When my father passed away 7 years ago my mother started to get phone calls from relatives she had not seen or heard from offering help cleaning out the house as she decided to move. My mother who is in her 80's called me to say how nice these relatives were to offer their help. I decided to come over unannouced to her house as a relative who we had not seen in 20 years was walking off with a snow blower and a mower. I asked this relative how much he paid for these items? He said I asked your mother if it would be ok to take these items as I just spent time helping her, 1 hour. To make a long story short, he left without the items and we have never heard from him again. There are some good people on this earth that truly want to help, problem is sorting out the good people from the snakes.
    Steve

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

When my father passed away the next door neighbors left a note on his house's back door offering condolenses and wanting to know what we wanted for the house and land. This was while my wife and I (the only child) were at the funeral home making the funeral/burial arrangements. Needless to say I took great pride in turning down their offer for the property ruining their plan to combine the properties and have an exclusive subdivision.

DoubleAuto

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

That’s nothing as a Paramedic I have viewed it all. We worked a code one day on an elderly parent with two Adult children at the scene. We were unable to resuscitate the patient. I went into the kitchen to inform the children. In tears as they were consoling each other one blurted "I want the car" the other "you got it".......Their parent was still warm on the floor.......

GS

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

When my fater in law died, my wifes sneaky and untrustworthy sister took $3300 out of his pocket and all his jewelry and watch off him before she called the coroner. He was still warm. Then later she absconded with over $60,000 more from the estate. There is a long standing felony warrant for her in the state of Kansas going on 12 years now

8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Shortly after a friend of mine passed his wife had the phone disconnected.

He collected antique lamps and had a Corvette ZR1 or something like that.

Same situation as listed above. They drove her nuts.

How cruel can people be?

She is keeping all of it for the Grandkids.

Regards....Gerald

9. senior smoke

Cubancigar2000:
    It seems that every family has someone like that. I have a relative through marriage that offers to purchase items for my father in law. She orders furniture that she knows he won't like so he gives it to her. Out of the goodness of her heart she will book his plane reservations for him and also book a trip for herself. She offers to buy him clothes, and just so happens that she will use his credit card to purchase clothes for herself too on his credit card. When another relative confronted her, she showed the love she has for her father by saying" You don't think that I am going to do all this work and use up my own time for nothing, do you?
    Steve

10. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

A friend of mine has a FFL. While we were attending a wake of a shooter friend, the daughter asked him what she needs to do get rid of dad's guns. My buddy says that when things calm down, give him a call. (The daughter is disabled and on dad's health insurance and he provided for her.)

We don't hear from her for a while and he gives her a call. She states that his "shooting buddies" gave her $3000.00 for his guns. The 'guns" were a 90T, a Browning XT, at least 3 Browning Superposed shotguns inlcuding a Broadway Trap. and a BUNCH of other guns including some high end handguns. From what we remembered, we ESTIMATED that the guns that we knew about could have gotten her easily over $10,000. Great group of friends.

My buddy is known for his fairness and honesty on dealing with families of shooters and gets a lot of calls to liquidate shooters collections.

11. senior smoke

Marco Polo:
    I am glad I don't have Shooting buddies like that. They should be put in jail.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.